Home

EA Wins Another Award....they don't want.

This is a discussion on EA Wins Another Award....they don't want. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #57
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: EA Wins Another Award....they don't want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I recall an interview with Cam Weber a year or so ago and the interviewer hammered him pretty good going from LG to NG and would the same thing happen again. Based on the interview, he seemed pretty confident that history won't repeat itself.

It may or may not, but they know what happened. The whole world will be watching.
I'm very curious. I don't know if it was Weber, but I've read on several occasions that EA regretted building this generation of systems from the ground up. I'm still wondering how this new engine had such a strong resemblance to the last and reintroduced all the legacy issues, but whatever.

But it always sounds like the lesson they learned from 2K BB and The Show is to not build a new game for the next generation of consoles. So I'm wondering how they're going to create this great new simulation we're all hoping for.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #58
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe

"The results are from a voluntary poll on the internet. The people who find a poll like this to begin with already have a bone to pick with whomever they are voting against."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
"Not sure what you are trying to point out here. This just means that there are many more with a "bone to pick" with EA than any other US company. Not sure how this would make the poll anything but accurate."

I fully agree bucky! i love how some still want to try n take up for EA like they really doing something to be a better company . they fully deserve this title, and its much much more than just due to Sim city and buying up other small organizations. They are a greedy company. people have a right to dislike and just by reading the bs response by their PR man , it shows they really dont think its really alot they need to work on , which is typical EA.......
Old 04-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #59
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Here is the interview I was referring to.

Almost a year ago.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...of-madden.aspx
Old 04-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #60
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I still would like to know how people think this is going to affect EA Sports in any manner whatsoever, particularly insofar as Madden is concerned.

If the purpose of the poll is change, what actions by EA Sports in response to this poll would change your opinion insofar as Madden is concerned?

For the record I still think they do nothing.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #61
MVP

BezO's Arena

Quote:
Weber: I think we're in so much better of a place today than we were in the last transition. Mainly because a lot of it is not a re-write, and the pieces that are re-writes, we're building a lot of those foundations now. These technologies that you're seeing are scaleable. Very scaleable.
I don't know. I can't think of much from this gen that should be carried over, so I'm wondering what's not being rewritten? Maybe once some of these technologies are "scaled up" we'll see something that resembles football players moving about.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #62
MVP

BezO's Arena

Quote:
I still would like to know how people think this is going to affect EA Sports in any manner whatsoever, particularly insofar as Madden is concerned.

If the purpose of the poll is change, what actions by EA Sports in response to this poll would change your opinion insofar as Madden is concerned?

I think they do nothing about winning the worst company in America award. One can't talk to a company with their wallet yet expect it to listen to their keyboard. That's why I asked earlier in this thread (I think), who's to blame?

Edit: I asked that in this thread.

Last edited by BezO; 04-10-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #63
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I'm very curious. I don't know if it was Weber, but I've read on several occasions that EA regretted building this generation of systems from the ground up. I'm still wondering how this new engine had such a strong resemblance to the last and reintroduced all the legacy issues, but whatever.

But it always sounds like the lesson they learned from 2K BB and The Show is to not build a new game for the next generation of consoles. So I'm wondering how they're going to create this great new simulation we're all hoping for.
The more little bits of info that seems to be gleaned from various sources about the "lessons learned" it all seems less static than that. Meaning, I think many of us may be taking the whole "port don't build new" mention as the literal mantra behind next-gen when it's likely a much broader strategy than that being referred to.

Just recently found this article and it clearly seems to spell out a key lesson learned from last gen.

"Frankly, we made a couple of mistakes in how we built our technology that was going to build all these games," Gibeau said. "Fortunately, we have a very different approach to technology now with an engine called Frostbite that's tailor-made for next-gen hardware. So we're in really good shape from a technology standpoint, which is where we had our misstep last time." http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/3...l-of-honor.htm

Coupled with a more recent interview where he goes on to say;

"We've always been moving Battlefield well out on the specs because of the huge PC embedded base of that business. And so moving from gen-three to a gen-four is not a huge uptick in cost.

"The other key advantage for us is we've been building those types of titles on Frostbite, which is our proprietary engine. Moving Frostbite up to gen-four was a big task, but once you've done that, you now can do that across multiple titles as long as they're using the Frostbite engine.

"That's been going on over the last year. The early look on some of those products is spectacular. It will be interesting to see how it plays out as it ultimately gets finished."

and this from the same interview;

"Historical transitions have been bumpy for a few reasons. One reason has been that a lot of the companies had too many titles. We had way too many titles in the last transition, and the more titles you have, the more expensive it is to convert them from one generation to the next.

"We're much more focused now. We've got a core group of ten-to-fifteen titles. We'll stage those in terms of the transition and manage those costs through that. Our goal is to keep the cost increase for R&D under $100 million. And some of that will be in this year, some of that in '14, and some in our fiscal year '15. ..."
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...p#.URqwSlpbVpZ

So this seems to suggest that another lesson learned from last gen is to not spread themselves too thin working on as many titles. So all this together seems like the lesson was to still rebuild, not port but do so in a more efficient manner.

This leads strong credence that Kolbe, self listed as the Creative Director for G4 Madden in his OS avatar and his team, are working with an entirely new Frostbite engine for PS4/720, something gamers have been begging for. The only downside to that last interview is that it might be implying that we won't see "gen-4", (told you I didn't pull the term out my arse Spliff ), until next year, to coincide with the NFL season launch window, so that part sucks, if true.

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 04-10-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #64
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:

I don't expect EA to change, they have had the same business model for years. That said,

They could direct less funds towards marketing and exclusive licenses and put it towards development instead.

They could stop trying to milk revenue out of every corner of their games by developing things like Ultimate team for NCAA.

They could release a functioning NBA Live.

They could flesh out some of their new additions so they actually feel finished instead of releasing CCM with missing features and physics engines with floppy, twisted bodies.

That might get them out of the running for worse company of the year at least.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »