Home

Madden Is Turning 25 This Year, Time To Take The Training Wheels Off

This is a discussion on Madden Is Turning 25 This Year, Time To Take The Training Wheels Off within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2013, 04:41 AM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Madden Is Turning 25 This Year, Time To Take The Training Wheels Off

It's an arcade franchise.

Unless EA blow everything up and start over, expect more of the same.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #42
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidertiger
No play art? Not all of us has 6 hours to practice one playbook, and this is just one playbook. No visible buttons? So now as a user we have to remember many plays without playart. Exactly how long do we go into practice mode before playing a game?

Sorry but those ideas are ridiculous to me. Madden won't be sim with this. It would be tedious. I'm all for realism, but not by this. Refining the actual gameplay would be more important.

This right here is what you would call "lazy'ness" people! This is an individual who loves having his hand held the whole way thru madden and thus the reason we cannot have change in this game.

Sorry if this has been quoted and spoke on but I just started reading this thread and couldnt help but reply to this post right here.

In the game of football, its mostly practice and muscle memory, the QB doesnt see icons or an expanded view of the field when he makes his plays. Its the tension and atmosphere of making those type of plays in those type of moments and situations they live for and what drives this game of football to be as successful as its been all these years. Thats just the tip of the iceberg, and it would add a whole new realistic dimension to this game given that the fundamentals are properly done to the game!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #43
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke6
This right here is what you would call "lazy'ness" people! This is an individual who loves having his hand held the whole way thru madden and thus the reason we cannot have change in this game.

Sorry if this has been quoted and spoke on but I just started reading this thread and couldnt help but reply to this post right here.

In the game of football, its mostly practice and muscle memory, the QB doesnt see icons or an expanded view of the field when he makes his plays. Its the tension and atmosphere of making those type of plays in those type of moments and situations they live for and what drives this game of football to be as successful as its been all these years. Thats just the tip of the iceberg, and it would add a whole new realistic dimension to this game given that the fundamentals are properly done to the game!
There's a difference between wanting a game that's accessible and easy to jump into and play and laziness. There's nothing wrong with the desire for an accessible game, and a game where playbook memorization is required to play and play well is not accessible whatsoever.

Not every decision can be made through the "realism" lens, Madden isn't catering to the hardcore audience exclusively. No sports game does this, and they are all wise to avoid doing so. In fact, one of the most lauded new features of MLB The Show this year is its new beginner mode, which essentially holds the player's hand through learning to play virtual baseball.

All that said, I myself like the idea of expanding Kinect voice command recognition to all playcalling as an available option.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 04-09-2013 at 10:59 AM. Reason: I accidentally a sentence
Old 04-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #44
Banned

OVR: 1

Awesome thread

I will contribute:

I think that the ratings must matter, and we should have noticeable downgrades when a starter/star is injured. I'm sick of peoe finding the fastest player, and then replacing their slower starter, and have no repercussion.

I also think the difficulty should be about scheme change and reacting to gameplans, not making my players less able than the computer.

I like the draft idea, I think you should get a list of in depth stats, combine results, all star game results, and draft the player that fits your team the most. Not just see who has 97 speed and 95 hit power at safety.

Offensive line and defensive line reaction is a MUST. I need more double teams in the passing and run game. People need to know their strong or weak side, notice the blitzers, and be able to adjust. There should be blocking hot routes. I should be able to man to man my blockers with who they need to pick up. If you guess wrong, you have a blocker out of position.

The players still need toned down on the field!!! It's too easy to get a yard, the field needs to be wider, and players need to be smaller. No ones feet are 3 feet in the NFL nor two, so why are they as big or near the yard markers size? Make players smaller, it'd be tougher to score, and we'd have lower scoring games with more found to cover.

I'm honestly sick of rating systems. Unfortunately they will be here again this year. It's all one man's opinion. That's stinks! I think you should have guys in practice, in drills, see their stats, and they should improve accordingly. Now we have some 50 odd ratings or something that 85% has not effect in gameplay.

I agree with everything the 1st poster said. Really no more visual references, at least for the vets who KNOW FOOTBALL, not just madden.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #45
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4
What I have gathered so far from where this thread has started and where we have come is that training wheels are a neccessary aide and perhaps even the more the merrier if they are served as counterbalancing tools for the potential difficulty in the game.

*At a fair share the training wheels should be able to be taken off by those who are ready to ride solo.

I see some areas of the game are already there in that respect of disabling training aides. One example is how hints are taken away on All-Madden.

In a new lens we could actually see many areas of the game improve in Intensity and Toughness if more effective training aides are offered.

Some examples are auto assisting the user qb in moving around in the pocket. This training wheel would allow the trench battle to intensify sincr help is being offered to the least of skilled users in the pocket.

One example is qb auto throw assistance that trains a user qb on how to identify open recievers. This could also turn out to be a pass progression aide.

This training toool would allow devs to give the defense some gritty teeth for the hardcore user who is prepared for the heat and the best of cover assignments.

One other example is assisted running that would help users identify holes and teach them when and how to appropriately use ballcarrier moves.

As the assisted user improves he can remove the training aides little by little. The training aides by virtue of options become a help in the graduating process opposed to a prison manual for inmates.

In many ways the aides can be just as comprehensive and robust as forza while also sharing the usabilty to function at a barebones full control experience.

*The difficulty levels should not alter the user team in any way and should only serve as a means to the ends for the CPU Ai on the opponent team. Difficulty now becomes its own stand alone entity to user assistance.

In short, I see from the top down an opportunity to improve the training tools and perhaps this is where we need an injection of the unprecedented "Madden".

*Madden was a coach right?

Considering the learning never stops, we also need an injection of unprecedented AI that teaches the user by virtue of keeping them guessing and teaching them how to be creative.

*The CPU AI should be a teacher to the gamer because the gamer cant teach to the game. IF the adaptive AI improves dramatically so will the gamer's experience.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by hanzsomehanz; 04-09-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #46
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyEaglesFly3

The players still need toned down on the field!!! It's too easy to get a yard, the field needs to be wider, and players need to be smaller. No ones feet are 3 feet in the NFL nor two, so why are they as big or near the yard markers size? Make players smaller, it'd be tougher to score, and we'd have lower scoring games with more found to cover.
Gr8 qt man! I am with you all the way here. Madeen feels contrary to the game of inches where you must fight for every yard.

This is also a great segue to allude to the lack of an appropriate penalty matrix. This makes the game share the same light as Blitz in respect to how wide open and unchallenged the gameplay is.

*New gamers and new footballers need to know the rules of football by now and how to respect them. Madden needs to use this as an opportunity to teach and not to cheat.

Returning to your point, player proportions need to be scaled to fit the field appropriately so speed and acceleration are appropriately represented in respect to playcalling (sweeps) and how much ground should be covered through a single step.

*Proper player proportions could circumvent the lack of natural foot planting.

Last edited by hanzsomehanz; 04-09-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #47
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
There's a difference between wanting a game that's accessible and easy to jump into and play and laziness. There's nothing wrong with the desire for an accessible game, and a game where playbook memorization is required to play and play well is not accessible whatsoever.

Not every decision can be made through the "realism" lens, Madden isn't catering to the hardcore audience exclusively. No sports game does this, and they are all wise to avoid doing so. In fact, one of the most lauded new features of MLB The Show this year is its new beginner mode, which essentially holds the player's hand through learning to play virtual baseball.

All that said, I myself like the idea of expanding Kinect voice command recognition to all playcalling as an available option.
I agree and should have put on emphasis on "optional" but my point is...

We have been playing madden for years, in reality on the real field, plays are called by numbers and letters. If you cant look at the drawn diagram of a play you just called, and remember what your assignments and where your intended wrs are going to be, then we are not replicating the sport.

I know a lot of fundamentals are missing form all this and would need to be heavily featured to influence this type of realism. What im getting at is that this game can let anyone be a HC with any PB in this besides they're own!

If the pats have been successful for all these years with their PB and you're a fan of this team, the what compels you to shift the direction of the team like?

If you feel that great of a Head Coach, then none of this should be an issue and like Big stated, it garners real human error like we see in real life. There is nothing like having to process everything going on on the field only to mis read a play or forget what the route your player was running due to pressure in your face or whatnot.

Just thinking about it is exciting and to me this would eliminate those cheesy players online who pride and dedicate their selves to undermining the game without thinking or some sort of logical strategy.

I urge many to go outside sometime and have a pick up game of tag football with a 3-5 sec rush count and let me know if you had fun doing that or not and try to incorporate it into the game of madden like it is in the NFL. When you are under pressure, only a few can make wise decisions and be poised as others cant and can learn to and better their game by it!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #48
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
Gr8 qt man! I am with you all the way here. Madeen feels contrary to the game of inches where you must fight for every yard.

This is also a great segue to allude to the lack of an appropriate penalty matrix. This makes the game share the same light as Blitz in respect to how wide open and unchallenged the gameplay is.

*New gamers and new footballers need to know the rules of football by now and how to respect them. Madden needs to use this as an opportunity to teach and not to cheat.

Returning to your point, player proportions need to be scaled to fit the field appropriately so speed and acceleration are appropriately represented in respect to playcalling (sweeps) and how much ground should be covered through a single step.

*Proper player proportions could circumvent the lack of natural foot planting.

Both of these need to be done at the same time, I have been saying this for years and its very frustrating to see people cover such (what should be) a massive field width wise and lenght wise in a matter of a blink of an eye at will.

when I say stretch the field, that includes the players too!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »