Home

Madden 25 Motion Capture Video

This is a discussion on Madden 25 Motion Capture Video within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Madden 25 Motion Capture Video

And I can clearly see the problem. The "talent" used in these motion captures aren't NFL caliber talent of today. The scenarios they're put in aren't authentic. There should be different talent that represent different height/weight classes for each position. You only see about 6 guys in this video. There's not enough difference between the characters on screen because they don't account for it in motion capture. Everyone looks/plays the same. Terrible foundation on which terrible gameplay sits.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

So you have a former Florida Gator QB who never made it, instructing a QB how to drop back?

And we wonder why there aren't any sig animations.

They show a scrub mo-capping Russell Wilson running a read option yet he runs nothing like Russell Wilson.

Things like this is what separated APF from Madden.

I don't want to see Tim Tebow's Florida Gator QB backup doing his drop back. I want to see someone mimicking Peyton Manning's drop back. Peyton Manning's play action fake.

But these guys all watch football, eh?
Old 04-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
Pro

Trick13's Arena

OVR: 0

What I don't understand is ESPN's Sport Science show manages to calculate angular velocity, foot plant pressure, impact pressure and a host of other things - and they are not using MO-Cap at all.

So, if they can do all that - including calculating these things from actual "game film", then why is EA still messing with MO-Cap at all?

If they insist on using that technology, then they should get some actual football players and put them in "scrimmage" situations to get the data they need. Why not put a whole offensive line and defensive fronts in the studio?

I think they run into massive issues because the things going on are scripted - IE "today we are going to capture bull rushes." Well that is why they suck, because the play actors already know what is supposed to happen so it doesn't look natural. If you bring in several guys at once and just have them "play snaps" where they are rushing the QB, then you would get more fluid and natural actions - of course it would require actual football players with sound fundamental techniques...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 3

i think the problem lies in how they set up their sessions rather than the talent.

"real football players" have a future and wouldnt be willing to risk that for Madden mo-cap sessions that apparently go on for hours.

So the talent is cool, but the lack of variety as someone mentioned and the pre-determined goals of each session dumb down the natural look of things.

Logically there would have to be some sort of schedule to get the most for the time, but there should be a bunch of freestyling to balance things.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
MVP

Phreezy P's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
What I don't understand is ESPN's Sport Science show manages to calculate angular velocity, foot plant pressure, impact pressure and a host of other things - and they are not using MO-Cap at all.

So, if they can do all that - including calculating these things from actual "game film", then why is EA still messing with MO-Cap at all?

If they insist on using that technology, then they should get some actual football players and put them in "scrimmage" situations to get the data they need. Why not put a whole offensive line and defensive fronts in the studio?

I think they run into massive issues because the things going on are scripted - IE "today we are going to capture bull rushes." Well that is why they suck, because the play actors already know what is supposed to happen so it doesn't look natural. If you bring in several guys at once and just have them "play snaps" where they are rushing the QB, then you would get more fluid and natural actions - of course it would require actual football players with sound fundamental techniques...
AMEN!

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Old 04-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #14

OVR: 34

I appreciate the video post. It's interesting to see how things are done.

This video really speaks to why Madden's animations are so stop and go. The first animation they show, around the 37 second mark, the "player" is literally waiting on his choreographed moment. I don't expect anything else with motion capture, but the problem is that football is so much of a contact sport that you can't just place animations without them looking "all of a sudden." It strips the game of its natural feel and adds almost a snappy feel too it.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #15
Pro

adub88's Arena

OVR: 12

2k5 had actual NFL players doing mo-cap. They don't have to do the tackling, but they can sure do running animations, throwing, drop backs, etc. So I don't buy the notion that they wouldn't want to do it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #16
Thread Killer

unfriendlyghst's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub88
2k5 had actual NFL players doing mo-cap. They don't have to do the tackling, but they can sure do running animations, throwing, drop backs, etc. So I don't buy the notion that they wouldn't want to do it.
Bingo!

Randy Moss, Tom Brady, Brian Urlacher, JJ Stokes, Tim Rattay, Tyrone Wheatley, Ahman Green > some sound engineer with mo-cap suit!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »