Home

What does trading back in the draft do?

This is a discussion on What does trading back in the draft do? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9
What does trading back in the draft do?

I've always been afraid to push the button. How does it work in the game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Rookie

imskykid's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: What does trading back in the draft do?

DONT DO IT! It puts Jamarcus Russell on your team and you can't remove him from the depth chart!

Spoiler
Old 04-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 8

I haven't had the pleasure of going through a draft yet (i'm enjoying my first season). But does it also give you a prompt when another team is looking to move down in the draft?

I know in Head Coach 09 you could make an offer to move up for every draft pick, but if the team didn't want to trade down they expected a far greater offer than a team who wanted to trade down.

Does this or something similar happen in M13?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9

Didn't see any offers I liked. Everything was like a 1st next year, but I wanted to trade back for like a 2nd this year and a 2nd the following year. Nothing like that.

The trading block at the end of the season was a joke too, I figured I could get rid of Charles Johnson for a 1st round pick, and no one got close.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:39 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 8

With HC09 when it came to trading draft picks I always had the following NFL draft pick value chart handy:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

That way I knew whether I was getting equal value or not. And it didn't matter if it was for a future year, I just calculated it differently.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2013, 02:20 AM   #6
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

It's limiting, but I love the trade back option this year. Just needs more context, some 80% correct analysis on why they want your pick 'Looking to get ahead of Buffalo because of a mutual need at QB'

Every pick should have that though really, so you know if you want to trade back behind teams that have the same priorities. Influenced by a combination of media and your own scouts' opposition research effectiveness.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #7
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by imskykid
Spoiler
This. You get a list, you pick what offer you like. You can go in and out of the trade screen as many times as you like as well and the offers will be the same. So you can look at the trades offered say, and Team A, Team B and Team C are all offering you 1st round picks this season for your 1st rounder. It wont tell you in the trade screen what # pick Team A, B, C has, so you'll need to pop back out and see who is higher and how far exactly you'd move down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
It's limiting, but I love the trade back option this year. Just needs more context, some 80% correct analysis on why they want your pick 'Looking to get ahead of Buffalo because of a mutual need at QB'

Every pick should have that though really, so you know if you want to trade back behind teams that have the same priorities. Influenced by a combination of media and your own scouts' opposition research effectiveness.
Easy enough solution, though earlier in the draft rather than later (due to teams filling their needs with early draft picks you're likely to be unaware of). You're in the first round, and say, Buffalo want to move up and trade 1st rounders with you. Pause the draft, go out of the draft and go to the propose trade screen. Propose a trade with Buffalo. In the top right hand corner, 3 positions will be listed as Buffalo's wants/needs. That is likely to be who the Bills want to move up and get. Why EA can't programme a scout, or some staff member to tell you that is a likely move for the Bills, who knows.

As a quick word of warning though, my season 1 draft with Arizona. I need a QB badly, there is a QB listed as going pick 9 in the draft that I want. I have pick #10. I trade up to #4 in the draft after analysing the teams ahead of me, and give up a 1st rounder next year to do so. It comes to my pick at #4. My QB is still there! I get greedy. Miami will give me a 1st rounder next year and swap my pick #4 for their pick at #5. Overall, I move up 5 spots in the draft, and after some trading around, I'd have my 1st rounder this year, a 1st rounder next year again, the QB I want, and life is good!!

Miami took my QB lol I took a LT instead and he's been a bit of a bust so far Point is, Miami didn't have QB listed as a need, but they obviously felt they couldn't pass this guy up. I'll not list the QB's name for spoiler purposes.

Last edited by Rumplebeanskin; 04-16-2013 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Corrected Wording

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »