Home

Player progression ideas

This is a discussion on Player progression ideas within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2013, 02:04 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Player progression ideas

Something I would like to see (which is different to player progression) is a more robust player history.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but EA have a deal with the NFL, therefore they can access all past data with regards to the NFL. So why simply keep each player profile generic with their season stats, career stats, contract info and now some of their attributes.

I want to see something like 'history' or milestones, where I can click on any player and it can list their most memorable games (individual), most memorable games (team - like a past superbowl win) and a whole bunch of different historic events pertaining to that specific player. Then, imagine I could select one of them and it takes me to archival boxscore and associated recap from NFL.com?

Thoughts on that? I have plenty more but don't want to go nuts.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick589
I'd really like to see progression based truly on stats.
I'd really like to see progression based truly on REALISM. I don't mean mimic real life player by player, but base progression on the factors that actually make a player progress in real life.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
Pro

Pandetta's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarek
Something I would like to see (which is different to player progression) is a more robust player history.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but EA have a deal with the NFL, therefore they can access all past data with regards to the NFL. So why simply keep each player profile generic with their season stats, career stats, contract info and now some of their attributes.

I want to see something like 'history' or milestones, where I can click on any player and it can list their most memorable games (individual), most memorable games (team - like a past superbowl win) and a whole bunch of different historic events pertaining to that specific player. Then, imagine I could select one of them and it takes me to archival boxscore and associated recap from NFL.com?

Thoughts on that? I have plenty more but don't want to go nuts.
I like this idea a lot - I would only be concerned about it bogging the game down/memory hogging. Hopefully this is something they can explore in the next generation. Little details can make a good game great.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
Pro

Trick13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
This is something I would like to see changed as well. I believe that you already have the most of what you need to fix this in the game.

Each player is being tracked in terms of "legacy", so take the productivity "rating" - PRD and make it much more sensitive and make it fluctuate much more rapidly. The take PRD and weigh it more heavily within the calculation for the OVR rating.

So every QB will be graded each week vs every other QB. They should get positive points for TDs, Yardage, first downs and negative points for INTs, fumbles.
PRD calculated out in this way would give a better immediate indication of on field production that directly relates to other players at his position.

During the season, the PRD should be just that season and graded from week to week. In between season it should be averaged, sort of, with that player's previous yearly PRD grades. The most recent season should be counted much more heavily in this "averaged" PRD. After finishing a rookie season there is nothing to average, he just gets his PRD grade from the previous season.

I think a good ratio would be the most recent season counting for 75 percent of the grade. The NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" business model."

This would also prevent "physical freak" backups that User teams, hide behind low ratings from being ultra productive situational players that are very cheap to resign. Example - I myself drafted a 7th RD DE with 89 SPD, I would manually sub him into "definite" passing downs. He produced 11 sacks per year average and 13 in his contract year and yet I resigned him for a 5 year deal around 750K base and 500K bonus.

If his PRD weighed more heavily into his OVR calculation - he would have been much more difficult to retain. His sack total would have put him in the top 15 league wide and 9th at DE. Let's say that equated to a 93 PRD for the season and about a 91 PRD for the offseason, for the sake of argument.

If you calculate using 91 PRD, with 95 PHYS, 71 SIZ, 67 INT and 94 DUR you get an "OVR" of 84 (I rounded up).
Now I doubt I could resign that player based on that new OVR as at the time I had nearly maxed out my cap space. (His OVR was 71 when I resigned him).

Side note; for both single player and multiple user there needs to be a waiver wire, and every player released needs to flow through that process.
I like that my idea has inspired others...
Old 04-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #13
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
I like that my idea has inspired others...
You know what they say about great minds. Your idea is fleshed out better... well done, Trick.

Watch me play video games
Old 04-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #14
Rookie

BV11's Arena

OVR: 3

"Players don't get better because they play better, they play better because they get better"

AMEN, that could not be said any better.

There should be a Potential and a Work Ethic rating. Work Ethic determines how fast a guy reaches his potential. Potential is the ceiling for the players attributes (every attribute should have a potential, like NFL Head Coach). Potential could be hidden so it didn't ruin the surprise of guys.

The fact that people want stat based progression is only an argument because the game is flawed and guys don't play to their ratings. You shouldn't be able to take a 70 OVR guy and rush for 2000 yards in the, because he is only 70 OVR for a reason.

If a guy was a 70 OVR rookie and you gave him 300 carries, he should only be able to average about 3 yards a carry, because he isn't a good player. Now, over the course of his career say he develops to a 90 OVR because of a high Potential and Work Ethic rating, now that guy is a player and should average around 5 yards a carry. That is how the game SHOULD work, but who knows how far of from that we are...

Last edited by BV11; 04-30-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #15
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV11
"Players don't get better because they play better, they play better because they get better"

AMEN, that could not be said any better.

There should be a Potential and a Work Ethic rating. Work Ethic determines how fast a guy reaches his potential. Potential is the ceiling for the players attributes (every attribute should have a potential, like NFL Head Coach). Potential could be hidden so it didn't ruin the surprise of guys.

The fact that people want stat based progression is only an argument because the game is flawed and guys don't play to their ratings. You shouldn't be able to take a 70 OVR guy and rush for 2000 yards in the, because he is only 70 OVR for a reason.

If a guy was a 70 OVR rookie and you gave him 300 carries, he should only be able to average about 3 yards a carry, because he isn't a good player. Now, over the course of his career say he develops to a 90 OVR because of a high Potential and Work Ethic rating, now that guy is a player and should average around 5 yards a carry. That is how the game SHOULD work, but who knows how far of from that we are...
Mike Shanahan has made a career out taking 70 OVR backs and making them look like 90 OVR's.

I get that players get better before they play better, I just don't find it appealing in terms of building a video game roster. I want him to be better because I made him better, not because the game made him better for me. I don't want to draft a QB that is a 77 and have him not play for three seasons and progress into a 90. And likewise, I don't want to draft a QB that is a 77 and throw 50 interceptions in a season and have him progress because he has good potential or 'work-ethic'.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #16
Rookie

BV11's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
Mike Shanahan has made a career out taking 70 OVR backs and making them look like 90 OVR's.

I get that players get better before they play better, I just don't find it appealing in terms of building a video game roster. I want him to be better because I made him better, not because the game made him better for me. I don't want to draft a QB that is a 77 and have him not play for three seasons and progress into a 90. And likewise, I don't want to draft a QB that is a 77 and throw 50 interceptions in a season and have him progress because he has good potential or 'work-ethic'.
I forgot to say I would add "Experience" as the third factor into progression. Obviously if you start a rookie for a season he should progress more than a guy who is sitting on the bench for a year.

But it sounds like you want to decide how good a player becomes. Don't you think that is unrealistic? I am sure Rex Ryan wishes Mark Sanchez would magically become a franchise quarterback?, It isn't going to happen because Sanchez doesn't have that kind of potential.

If a guy is a 77 overall and throws 50 interceptions, then that is a flaw in the game to me. Unless a 5 year old is playing through the season, that shouldn't happen.

And as for Shanahan back's overproducing, they are the product of a system geared to allow halfbacks to have success. I should have said that in my initial post as well, but obviously some systems are going to be more generous to players numbers than others. I mean look at Texas Tech QB's, how many of them have played in the NFL?

I think that those guys would have a high rating under Mike Shanahans scheme, because they obviously have the traits he looks for the be successful. They are one cut and go guys, that is what they are asked to do, and that is what they are good at.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »