Home

Signature Animations: Where's the Love?

This is a discussion on Signature Animations: Where's the Love? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #25
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Signature Animations: Where's the Love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles36
If you're at all familiar w/ me, you may be aware that the regression of signature animations in M13 is just one of the reasons I haven't logged much time with this game. They do exist in M13 [to be fair], but they work infrequently.

And no one really talks about it, even when M13 was in full swing.

Signature animations are the standard for sports games these days, and personally, they're a cornerstone of my immersion.

So why have this conversation now? Well, I fired up my copy of NBA2K. Sure, we all know that they carry the torch for signature animations and player likeness. But it wasn't til yesterday that I ventured into the 'edit player' option to do some tweaking to LBJ.

And it broke my heart when I saw the sheer number of options for signature shots. Shooting form. Shot base. Fadeaway. Contested. Escape dribble pull up. Momentum shots (3 separate categories). Post shots (8 separate categories).

Those are just the shots. That doesn't include customization options for dribble moves, 10+ dunk & layup packages, or even the 50+ tendency options.

That got me to thinking about Madden, and I know football & basketball are different sports. But we've been accustomed to one signature throwing animation for QBs. One. And if you threw a contested pass, a very short pass, or a very long one, you drew a generic animation. Shouldn't there be a Matt Ryan short pass? Matt Ryan long pass? Matt Ryan medium pass? Matt Ryan under duress pass? Matt Ryan pocket stance [that functions properly]?

And signature animations should certainly be extended to more than just QBs. How about running/catching packages for offensive skilled positions? Different back-pedaling styles for DBs? That's just a short list.

My point is signature animations made their Madden debut w/ M10 and have largely been ignored ever sense. I know Madden has a ways to go in several areas, but improvement to signature animations should be right up there if this game is to be mentioned in the same breath as some of the elite sports games.

Your feelings on signature animations, and the lack thereof?
Agreed and great post.

It's been even longer than M10 though. We had signature animations in Madden 07.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #26
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeBlitz
I didn't play 2K13 a lot, but i remember when i created my player for my career mode, i almost quit when i saw the number of possibilities lol.

We definitely need some in Madden.

And more signature celebrations for authenticity sake

Spoiler
Hynoceros!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #27
EA Sports' Equipment Guru

KANE699's Arena

OVR: 35

I remember when we were working on these in M11 and 12, there were always problems here and there with a players animation be it short or long having the ball come out through the hand or 2 yards away from his hand and it always had to be fixed per animation.

I honestly think they ditched it mostly just to save themselves time and heartache. Clearly they were not up to the same level as 2k is when it comes to dealing with signature animations, perhaps the issues lie somewhere else, maybe it was testing?

Can't honestly say I know for sure but I do know when you had to go test these issues you had to throw short medium other mediums and long passes just to make sure the animations functioned correctly.

Follow me on twitter @Equipment_Guru
Old 05-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #28
Pro

Trick13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANE699
I remember when we were working on these in M11 and 12, there were always problems here and there with a players animation be it short or long having the ball come out through the hand or 2 yards away from his hand and it always had to be fixed per animation.

I honestly think they ditched it mostly just to save themselves time and heartache. Clearly they were not up to the same level as 2k is when it comes to dealing with signature animations, perhaps the issues lie somewhere else, maybe it was testing?

Can't honestly say I know for sure but I do know when you had to go test these issues you had to throw short medium other mediums and long passes just to make sure the animations functioned correctly.
Are you saying that EA/Tiburon just bailed on this due to laziness?

They would have actually had to test the game and rework stuff and gosh darn it that is frustrating...
Old 05-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #29
EA Sports' Equipment Guru

KANE699's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
Are you saying that EA/Tiburon just bailed on this due to laziness?

They would have actually had to test the game and rework stuff and gosh darn it that is frustrating...
I can tell you that they got away from them and I don't think many people working on the game seem to have noticed, perhaps they may of just not cared for them or didn't like all the work involved.

Couldn't tell you who made the call to make that change but last I saw they only had a couple players signature animations showing up for certain trajectories.

Follow me on twitter @Equipment_Guru
Old 05-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #30
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANE699
I can tell you that they got away from them and I don't think many people working on the game seem to have noticed, perhaps they may of just not cared for them or didn't like all the work involved.

Couldn't tell you who made the call to make that change but last I saw they only had a couple players signature animations showing up for certain trajectories.
Unfortunately, this seems all too accurate. Just by virtue of sig animations being seemingly ignored, one could gather that they've gotten away from them. Smh...

I remember pointing out how sig animations weren't working to a dev last year. I was told, "I have no idea, I don't even look at the QB when I play." That's not to mock the team but rather to point out that when you suggest they aren't a priority, it passes the smell test.

Last edited by RGiles36; 05-14-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #31
Pro

Trick13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles36
Unfortunately, this seems all too accurate. Just by virtue of them being seemingly ignored, one could gather that they've gotten away from them. Smh...

I remember pointing out how sig animations weren't working to a dev last year. I was told, "I have no idea, I don't even look at the QB when I play." That's not to mock the team but rather to point out that when you suggest they aren't a priority, it passes the smell test.
'I don't even look at the QB when I play' = fired. Or at least it should be a firing offense to have somebody working on this game who cares so little.

I am so discouraged at the moment, Madden is all we have and I am sick of their half hearted efforts in so many areas of the game which could really take the game from decent to excellent. EA/Tiburon, especially those in charge, should be ashamed of themselves...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #32
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
'I don't even look at the QB when I play' = fired. Or at least it should be a firing offense to have somebody working on this game who cares so little.

I am so discouraged at the moment, Madden is all we have and I am sick of their half hearted efforts in so many areas of the game which could really take the game from decent to excellent. EA/Tiburon, especially those in charge, should be ashamed of themselves...
Although I looking forward to the new consoles to play something different, March 2014 is my main "hype" date because I am fed up with EA Tiburon catering to "versions" of football. Madden this gen has been a reflection of its' gaming community as a whole, which is another reason I can't wait until another studio can make NFL games. Instead of just making a game as true to the NFL in applicable aspects as possible, with as many options as possible, like the other top sports sims, EA Tiburon has tried to make a fundamental utopia game. One that is designed to be everything to everybody in the Madden community or "balanced" in marketing speak, which is just silly. It's like some movie studio trying to make a historically accurate documentary movie that caters to action, drama, romance, comedy and sci-fi fans, ie a hot mess, lol.

I will be glad when there are NFL football games AGAIN that are actually designed to try to be NFL football games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »