Home

Sim vs Arcade: Madden Debate

This is a discussion on Sim vs Arcade: Madden Debate within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4
LT what constitutes arcade elements at the base? What are those components?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
We've had this conversation here numerous times. That said this thread is on very thin ice proceed with caution.
Rob is that referred to the OP or everyone in how we conduct ourselves in here?

Im tailoring the duscussion lanes between components of madden already existing and setting the boundaries not to discuss maddens rep or future rep etc.

Not looking for anyone to slip uo nor encouraging that behavior. Help us out how you see fit. Including that word of advice.

Thanks

Old 05-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Sim vs Arcade: Madden Debate

It's simple for me. Follow real world physics from the way the ball is in the air to the way different players weight/height react to other players etc..
Sim also carries over to presentation and the elements. Lets have the stadium really seem alive with trash blowing across the field on real windy days etc..

I'll NEVER believe sales would go down if the realism got ramped up. I've seen some younger kids play and even they will point out "that could never happen"....

However (yeah I'm bringing this up again) until I can throw anywhere on the field instead of hit X for X, it will never be a full sim game to me.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
LT what constitutes arcade elements at the base? What are those components?

The game at its core is arcade. Their design philosophy at its core is arcade.

The biggest limiting factor in how sim this game can be is the way that the players move and the manner that they interact with one another.

The game will never be sim as long as they refuse to accept that a user should not be in control of their player at ALL times, they recant their refusal to use uninterruptible animations where appropriate, put an emphasis on deceleration, foot planting, loss of balance, and momentum and endeavor to implement them properly, and focus on the interactions of players (ie no patty cake blocks, simple dice roll win/loss scenarios of engagement, etc).

All of those are examples of how the game is designed, and why it is arcade at its base.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Sim is having everything true to the sport that you are trying to represent. Along with all the intangibles of that sport such as penalties being called, jostling, hand fighting, push offs, botched snaps, punt blocks, FG blocks, etc. Basically what you see on tv should be in the game.

Arcade is heavy offensive oriented game play, with over the top animations that a real person would never be able to do. It is also a game with very high reward with very little or no risk involved for doing something. Arcade is only taking the positive outcomes of a sport with none of the negative aspects of that sport. Arcade is when you are able to take a player out of his natural position and plug him into a different position that in real life he would fail at, but in the game he performs like an all star player, even though that isn't his natural position.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
Pro

cuttingteeth's Arena

OVR: 14
Location: I live on the road - ghosting servers of family members...haha.

I think we really should just look at the history of the Madden game. It started like any other game for consoles has - it was an arcade style game, but it tried to emulate the rules, the players, the look, the sound(s) and the surrounding drama of the game more accurately. Fast forward to today, and it's the same, though I have to give them credit for being close to the best of both worlds. I will not say that they could get better at any one area because that shouldn't have to be said in the first place. Every year, they are going to make a new game and get things better, get new things right or wrong and/or they will screw up something they should have left alone. I contend this is just what happens when a game is expected/forced out every single year. As much as it pains to admit, our yearly, update-hopeful demand is just as much to blame for their yearly, revision-based supply.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
EA Game Changer

sgibs7's Arena

OVR: 37

Give me simulation football with control.

My latest Madden 13 & NCAA 13 strategy guides:
Official EA SPORTS Madden NFL 13 Strategy Guide
Official EA SPORTS NCAA Football 13 Strategy Guide

Learn more about Madden Tips:
www.MaddenTips.com

http://twitter.com/Sgibs7
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #16
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingteeth
I think we really should just look at the history of the Madden game. It started like any other game for consoles has - it was an arcade style game, but it tried to emulate the rules, the players, the look, the sound(s) and the surrounding drama of the game more accurately. Fast forward to today, and it's the same, though I have to give them credit for being close to the best of both worlds. I will not say that they could get better at any one area because that shouldn't have to be said in the first place. Every year, they are going to make a new game and get things better, get new things right or wrong and/or they will screw up something they should have left alone. I contend this is just what happens when a game is expected/forced out every single year. As much as it pains to admit, our yearly, update-hopeful demand is just as much to blame for their yearly, revision-based supply.

Agree with most of your post, but definitely not the bolded.

There isn't as much demand for a new Madden from fans as you think. There is a great demand for updated rosters, but not necessarily a whole new game every year.

If they were to completely support last years Madden with patches and roster updates, I can pretty much guarantee that the most recent version would be the worst selling version of all time.

The demand for a yearly Madden is primarily coming from the NFL and EA's pockets. Not really the consumer's demand.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »