Home

Sim vs Arcade: Madden Debate

This is a discussion on Sim vs Arcade: Madden Debate within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #49
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Sim vs Arcade: Madden Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I agree about the forums not liking it much, but what about the millions of people who don't post on forums and buy the game.
you mean the ones who just know saying something wont really change much? or the teenagers who like to play where you can exploit ai problems and glitches... cause there are def a million of them for sure.just because they dont post , dont mean they happy with it, again, no other option if u want to play an nfl game with nfl players. so kinda not fair to say just because someone buys it and says nothing they like it , or dislike it. really id say it would depend on what style player they are really. SIM or Lobby. or we could take a deeper look, i think there is a company that won worst company in U.S. two years in a row...... pretty sure that says alittle something.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #50
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
you mean the ones who just know saying something wont really change much? or the teenagers who like to play where you can exploit ai problems and glitches... cause there are def a million of them for sure.just because they dont post , dont mean they happy with it, again, no other option if u want to play an nfl game with nfl players. so kinda not fair to say just because someone buys it and says nothing they like it , or dislike it. really id say it would depend on what style player they are really. SIM or Lobby. or we could take a deeper look, i think there is a company that won worst company in U.S. two years in a row...... pretty sure that says alittle something.
That same survey, for two years in a row, was reported by the Wall Street Journal and Forbes Magazine? I haven't seen it in any of those publications?

If you ask moms and dads worst company in the US, you probably won't hear EA's name.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #51
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

The NFL is an ever evolving product.

The NFL is under constant review year-to-year and it is always measured by the long term vision against the last good.

Often, there is more to the good than the negative in each annual review but never is the product perfect.

In this reflect to trends and twists, we need both the communities to hold up the game in the light of the NFL product.

What is to say a SIM gamer does not revel in toruney play as much as the arcade gamer?

My proposition is to mold the game in the image and likeness of the NFL first and foremost.

Fig. 1

In today's game the offensive pass is predicated over the run but not every team is dominating the passing game, some are struggling severley.

In this scenario, I would advocate for more of the factors that pave the way for this trend.

Simulating this effect would be marked through through the observance of DPI flags being more prevalent than OPI flags, actual pulling of the jersey by defenders and jostling for catches.

Although the above could also be implemented in NFL Blitz, the difference is penalties called. Ironically, Blitz does a better job of emulating interference.

Fig. 2

Helmet to hit hits are a fixation of the NFL rules and safety committee. In the coming season we will see offenders be fined and penalized for illegal leading with the helmet hits.

This penalty being enforced can be simulated in Madden through the different tackle types.

*EA could further the run free project next year by incorporating the same strengths and weaknesses on the defensive side and saving a unique DNA strand for repeat offenders like Suh and James Harrison.

I would be in favor of the arcade feel here if it meant that players who were inclined to commit foul play actually did so moreso than the average player and did so in perhaps an exaggerated way to a cumulative effect.

This notion could be carried out through late hits on the QB and on the sidelines through the use of horsecollars and kicks and helmet to helmet destructions.

I am in favor of this type of arcade player DNA so long as it mees the authenticity triggers of the NFL and the NFLPA.

Notwithstanding, success in the NFL is not a given. In the same flame, the players and gamers in Madden should be stoked by the same trials.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by hanzsomehanz; 05-15-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #52
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

I think if a game is sim, sometimes it can make a casual fan hardcore, or even a hardcore fan, that much more knowledgeable.

When NBA 2k(NBA Live 10 as well) started implementing the team plays and how the superstars/stars got touches and open shots, I started to notice damn that's the play Boston, or NY ran on me in the game, or this is how I can get Melo or Dwade going in my game. You start to notice signature moves, run styles, team styles, tempo, all that stuff if the game replicates it, and I personally pick up on it when I play the game, or watch a game.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong making a game as realistic as possible, as long as people who don't want to go that deep, are allowed not to.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 05-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #53
Banned

OVR: 5

There's a lot of great stuff in this thread. It's basically been about gameplay realism which is very important, but to me realism goes beyond gameplay. It also includes reasonably realistic offseasons. Realistic trades, realistic scouting, realistic practice schedules for training (tied to progression), realistic finances, realistic progression, realistic playbooks that are customizable, realistic roster management, etc.

Also, to the guy that wants the control of dropping all 11 defenders into hooks, I agree you should be able to as long as their is a realistic penalty for doing this. Your defense should get manhandled by the offense if the game is realistic. There's a reason why real NFL teams don't drop all 11 defenders. But you should be able to.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #54
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I think if a game is sim, sometimes it can make a casual fan hardcore, or even a hardcore fan, that much more knowledgeable.
I agree on the teaching tool spectrum.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #55
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
Where did I say that the tourney crowd is small. I said that EA/Tiburon caters to the tourney crowd. I would think that the people you cater to wouldn't be a small segment.

You can try, but you will lose control if it's realistic. You can try and cut too quickly, but if you lose your balance, then what? You watch an animation play out where you fall. Or you watch an animation where you grab your knee cause you tore your ACL. Either way, you will need to watch an animation that takes away control in order to play out a realistic set of consequences.

You can not be totally in control and still have a simulation any more than you can take a hairpin turn in Gran Turismo at 250mph and not slam into a wall.
1st off EA doesnt cater to the tourney crowd. How many things have been put into the game that the tourney crowd have stood up on their soap box and asked for in the last 7 years? Disguise coverage (which wasnt 100% implemented either) that is pretty much it.

The game under David Ortiz (ng 06-09) may have been built out to play like an arcade game. But dont assume that that was to cater to the tourney crowd. If so I didnt receive the memo. They were going in a certain direction in making the game that way.

And since the (m10-now) I dont remember EA Devs ever coming to any tourney forums and chatting it up with "us" about what should and shouldnt be in the game. EA has never catered to the tourney crowd and its pretty hilarious that "we" are always being scapegoated as the people that EA was catering to.

EA has catered to the COD fanboy gamer that COD aquired with the release of COD4. The fanboy gamer that wasnt into the franchise until the game put out a trailer that looked flashy and cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4A9WJSXZ9k

They wanted to turn the avg gamer that usually may pick up the game every 3-4 years into the COD fanboy kind of gamer. But what EA doesnt consider is as quickly as those kind of fans are acquired the faster they will leave them for something that is flashier. And that is something COD will find out once a game comes in that can put together a cool enough trailer.
=
=
And the total control that gibs is talking about and what all tourney players want doesnt mean losing realism. You are just being difficult trying to insinuate that it is.

Nobody has any issue with players having realistic foot planting and playing to the abilities that they are rated to. If a player doesnt have the rating to make a cut he should struggle doing it and if he really doesnt have the skill set he should fall down and an animation should play out. NOBODY has an issue with that.

The total control gibs is talking about is
- Dont force me into an auto drop back that cannot be broken out of.

- Dont tell me I cannot, AS THE COACH, put my player in an assignment. Let me be able to put him in whatever and let the ratings and what not determine how he plays said assignment.

- Dont tell me I cannot, AS THE COACH, put my player in certain positions. Let me be able to put him in whatever and let the ratings and what not determine how he plays said position.

That total control makes the game deeper and it separates the people who actually put in work on the game.

Last edited by WFColonel56; 05-14-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #56
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

Simulating the fiery trials in the NFL is also a neccessary initiation process in the Sim maturation of Madden.

I liken these trial by fires to being in the cockpit of a *flight simulator.

Trial by Fires

*pocket presence
*read and react on D
*ball carrier vision

*This includes the equations that govern how aircraft fly, how they react to applications of their controls and other aircraft systems, and how they react to external environmental factors such as air density, turbulence, cloud, precipitation, etc

As the pilot of an NFL positional player, I want to experience how a real player moves and reacts to artificial controls and systems (schemes), as well as the pressure points that are likened to turbulence.

In the career mode, it is the stock of finances and managing that need to be simulated in the shoes of coach and GM and even for the owner.

These career facets can be further simulated through interviews, coaching speeches at half time, charities, and fan involvment connected to your player (twitter, popularity polls).

The more EA Madden can deliver on theses artificial factors, the more EA reveals to me their commitment to branding their image in the likeness of the NFL and not some other blueprint.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »