Home

Official Wishlist Thread...

This is a discussion on Official Wishlist Thread... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2003, 12:33 PM   #1
All Star

OVR: 17

This thread will stay here until the game is released. At that point we will stick a new one up, with a link to this for people who wanted to see the previous years.

Please do not reply to other peoples wishlists, they will be deleted.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2003, 02:06 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Official Whishlist Thread...

Every year since the 2K series came out, I always had it and Madden. This year I bought Madden but once I played ESPN I took it back. These are the things that Madden(EA) has to change in order for me to continue purchasing their series:
1) ANIMATIONS-They maybe added at the most 5 new tackling animations this year-a couple of two man tackles and the one by the shoulder pads. In every other category they may have added about two more additional animations. It just makes the game look dated and appears to be nothing but a mere add-on instead of a sequel. Also, for penalties acn there be specific animations? I'm tired of tackling a guy at his legs and getting called for facemask. Please correct this EA. The animations really hurt my feelings especially after I had seen much of them already in NCAA 2004.
2) Presentation- ESPN set the standard for yeras to come after this year. All I can say here is, "Did you take notes EA?"
3) I'm tired of trying to do a QB slide but he dives and fumbles. Can we at least get the option to map it to a different button? I know one is tap and the other is hold but it never works for me reagardless.
4) Maybe a little more accessories(towels,handwarmers, etc.) and a little better detailed player faces. This didn't make a difference to me but since it IS a wishlist...

I know developers/publishers peruse internet forums so please if you're "watching" EA, address some of these concerns for next year's installment...Please?
Old 12-08-2003, 02:46 PM   #3
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Official Whishlist Thread...

-Retiring Jersey’s presentation on Fan Appreciation Day before the game begins (cut scene).
-Trophy presentation for NFC and AFC Champions.
-Vince Lombardi Trophy presentation for Super Bowl winner.
-Better Super Bowl presentation. Better Super Bowl post party. Make it feel like the big game.
-Shoulder Charge button.
-Add new commentary from Madden and Michaels.
-Create in game menus and layout similar to the Monday Night Football presentation.
-Make the Monday and Sunday night games feel much more important. Why not have your Owner or GM appear in a cut scene speaking to you (coach) about how important it is to win the Monday or Sunday night game.
-Make cheerleaders look a lot more like the actual cheerleaders for the specific teams.
-Halftime game wrap-up and end of game wrap-up.
-NFL Hall of Fame for retiring players, jersey’s, and etc.
-Better running animations; blockers shouldn’t latch on or bounce off the way that they do. (see ESPN Football)
-Cut scenes for retiring, fired, new signees, traded platers, NFL draft, and etc. (see NBA Live 2004)
-Dump the Madden cards and create a GM’s office that can be decorated with unlockables.
-Add more polygons to player models and better Face capturing.
-Better snow animations. (see NFL Fever)
-Import created coaches from NCAA who want to move up to the NFL.
-Refs need to be louder.
-Return the Player of the Game award.
-Clean up some of the modes and incorporate then into Franchise Mode. Please don’t add more modes, just build upon the ones that are already in Madden ’05.
-Rivalry games, (ex. Bears-Packers, 49ers-Rams, Bears-Detroit, etc.)
-Record the 10 best games like NCAA Football 2004.
-Adding Sports Illustrated covers like NCAA to keep track of stats, etc.
-Madden and Michaels need to have better commentary for games towards the end of the season that are for a playoff berth.
-Better crowd animations. The crowd should not be cheering all the time. I like how ESPN Football and the NHL (EA) series have incorporated various crowd cutscenes.
-XBOX Live
-720p support.
-If coaches come out of retirement, why not have players come out of retirement but make a better deal about it than just throwing them in the Free Agent pool like always.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:05 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Official Wishlist Thread...

Madden is the king of video football. There are a few things I would like to see improved like everybody else. Allow me to break it down for you.

Graphics: Everyone kind of agrees that the models and animation need to be tweaked, but my biggest beef is with the lighting. Just improving the lighting could add tremendously to the look of the game without even touching the models. Stadium shadows need to be darker for starters. Speaking of stadium shadows, why can't they seem to get the shadows right for Texas Satdium. Little things like that mean alot. Why can't we have progressive lighting? NASCAR does this. I'm not saying change the shadows every second, but why not progress time of day every quarter or so. Speaking of time of day, if it's 4 p.m., I want it to look like 4 p.m., if it's late in the game and it's around 7 p.m., it should be dark. Doesn't EA watch TV and notice the lighting progression?

Sound: This speaks for itself (no pun intended)

Gameplay/stat tracking: The gameplay is great, a good combination of fun and simulation. It could use the normal tweaks with AI, but overall I don't have much of a beef. Where I have the biggest problem is in game stat tracking and how it relates to the season stats for CPU teams. Way too many pancakes across the board, and not enough tackles. EA reads the boards, they know everyone plays 10 to 12 minute quarters. Human controlled teams have, on average, about 75% fewer tackles over the course of a season than CPU teams. My best tackler ends up 30th in the league in tackles. Maybe something could be done with the sim engine to balance these numbers out.

Customization: I'd like to see better Create-a-Team options. Cooler logos for starters. The use of colors is a bit wierd. There are too many things tied together, like the jersey and the third helmet stripe and thrird pant stripe. Speaking of colors, as crappy of a game as WWE Raw2 was for X-Box, there was a great idea in there that Madden could use. When coloring items, you choose the base color, the shadow color, and the highlight color. This gave you the ability to give items a shiny look. I want my silver pants to look silver, not gray. More uniform options would be nice to. Speaking of uniforms, I understand with the licensing issues with NFL teams forcing you to use the same helmet, but I should be able to change the uniforms as I see fit.

Owner mode: There are too many things here to gripe about, but I'll hit a couple of key points. Being broke should mean something, you shouldn't be able to spend tons of money if you're losing money (unless you take out a loan or something, but I don't even want to get into the dynamics of that). Plus, did anyone notice that if you move your team and go $100 million in the hole, it doesn't matter and you won't lose your team. That's not right. Speaking of teams moving, you should be able to accept or reject a CPU team move. Why would the Miami Dolphins move to Lincoln? I want to be able to say NO WAY! Maybe there could be a cash penalty for saying no to keep that franchise afloat. It should be more well defined what effect coaches have on players. If you hire offensive and defensive coordinators, you should be forced to use their playbooks. Pro and rookie scouts should be added, which leads me to my final point.

Ratings: This is pretty radical, so bear with me. Let me ask a question, in the real NFL, what rating is Terrell Owens? How about Kelly Holcomb? Or Zack Thomas? You can't really put a rating on them, because it's all subjective. That's what I want to see, a more subjective rating system. I don't want to see that Mike Vick is a '98' or Brian Westbrook is a '68'. For starters, it's not realistic, secondly, it makes personnel decisions too easy. I say keep the ratings behind the scenes and don't allow the user to see them. That's where the scouts come in. instead of the traditional number rating, you have a detailed report on the guy based on the scouts observasions similar to the rookie reports. This makes the preseason and training camp relevant to determine who performs and who doesn't. It makes you be aware of what your players are doing. Do you think Mike Martz started Marc Bulger because he knew that Bulger had an 88 rating while Warner was only 84? Of course not. It would also make personnel decisions more rewarding.

I want to re-iterate, these aren't complaints. I LOVE this game, which is whay I want to see it be the best it can be.

Old 12-09-2003, 02:30 PM   #5
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

OVR: 8

I gotta say im feeling you on the ratings part. It probably will involve alittle more thinking and time and consideration into it then that, but I agree that would change the game tremedously as far as replay value goes. As well as online experience.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2003, 02:51 PM   #6
MVP

rheller's Arena

OVR: 8

DB play similar to NCAA 2004
Old 12-09-2003, 04:46 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 5

better graphics- Fever has 8000 polygons per player Madden has 25000 and ESPN has 5500. At least hit 6000 for Xbox

gameplay- less super interceptions make the dbs have some type of momentum so they can't just do a 360 interception
less computer control- i play people oline who never make their own catches they just chuck it up and the cpu controlled player catches it. It would be nice on All Madden to make people catch their own passes and intercept on their own. Too many people rely on cpu to do everything. catch assistance should be off by default on all madden because all madden is supposed to be the best of the best but it feels like rookie.

online play- Xbox Live is where it's at that PS2 online can't even do a patch.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:41 PM   #8
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:

EvilWill said:
Graphics: Everyone kind of agrees that the models and animation need to be tweaked, but my biggest beef is with the lighting. Just improving the lighting could add tremendously to the look of the game without even touching the models. Stadium shadows need to be darker for starters. Speaking of stadium shadows, why can't they seem to get the shadows right for Texas Satdium. Little things like that mean alot. Why can't we have progressive lighting? NASCAR does this. I'm not saying change the shadows every second, but why not progress time of day every quarter or so. Speaking of time of day, if it's 4 p.m., I want it to look like 4 p.m., if it's late in the game and it's around 7 p.m., it should be dark. Doesn't EA watch TV and notice the lighting progression?

Sound: This speaks for itself (no pun intended)

Gameplay/stat tracking: The gameplay is great, a good combination of fun and simulation. It could use the normal tweaks with AI, but overall I don't have much of a beef. Where I have the biggest problem is in game stat tracking and how it relates to the season stats for CPU teams. Way too many pancakes across the board, and not enough tackles. EA reads the boards, they know everyone plays 10 to 12 minute quarters. Human controlled teams have, on average, about 75% fewer tackles over the course of a season than CPU teams. My best tackler ends up 30th in the league in tackles. Maybe something could be done with the sim engine to balance these numbers out.

Customization: I'd like to see better Create-a-Team options. Cooler logos for starters. The use of colors is a bit wierd. There are too many things tied together, like the jersey and the third helmet stripe and thrird pant stripe. Speaking of colors, as crappy of a game as WWE Raw2 was for X-Box, there was a great idea in there that Madden could use. When coloring items, you choose the base color, the shadow color, and the highlight color. This gave you the ability to give items a shiny look. I want my silver pants to look silver, not gray. More uniform options would be nice to. Speaking of uniforms, I understand with the licensing issues with NFL teams forcing you to use the same helmet, but I should be able to change the uniforms as I see fit.

Owner mode: There are too many things here to gripe about, but I'll hit a couple of key points. Being broke should mean something, you shouldn't be able to spend tons of money if you're losing money (unless you take out a loan or something, but I don't even want to get into the dynamics of that). Plus, did anyone notice that if you move your team and go $100 million in the hole, it doesn't matter and you won't lose your team. That's not right. Speaking of teams moving, you should be able to accept or reject a CPU team move. Why would the Miami Dolphins move to Lincoln? I want to be able to say NO WAY! Maybe there could be a cash penalty for saying no to keep that franchise afloat. It should be more well defined what effect coaches have on players. If you hire offensive and defensive coordinators, you should be forced to use their playbooks. Pro and rookie scouts should be added, which leads me to my final point.

Ratings: This is pretty radical, so bear with me. Let me ask a question, in the real NFL, what rating is Terrell Owens? How about Kelly Holcomb? Or Zack Thomas? You can't really put a rating on them, because it's all subjective. That's what I want to see, a more subjective rating system. I don't want to see that Mike Vick is a '98' or Brian Westbrook is a '68'. For starters, it's not realistic, secondly, it makes personnel decisions too easy. I say keep the ratings behind the scenes and don't allow the user to see them. That's where the scouts come in. instead of the traditional number rating, you have a detailed report on the guy based on the scouts observasions similar to the rookie reports. This makes the preseason and training camp relevant to determine who performs and who doesn't. It makes you be aware of what your players are doing. Do you think Mike Martz started Marc Bulger because he knew that Bulger had an 88 rating while Warner was only 84? Of course not. It would also make personnel decisions more rewarding.

I second all of this. Also, add to the presentation so that it meets, if not exceeds, the standard that ESPN has set.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »