Home

Ball Hawk & Heat Seeker:Why & Will we be able to turn these "features" off?

This is a discussion on Ball Hawk & Heat Seeker:Why & Will we be able to turn these "features" off? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 4
Ball Hawk & Heat Seeker:Why & Will we be able to turn these "features" off?

To me these type of "assist" features will kill the Madden user experience. The CPU is already controlling 10 other guys on the field. Now they will be controlling all 11.

Ball Hawk makes average Users look amazing in pass coverage. Now there will be a button to take great angles directly to the ball carrier without over pursuing and "higher awareness" players will not be susceptible to jukes. If anything when using these assist features it should be more Boom or Bust not a conservative way to allow the CPU to make sure fire plays for you.

but what hurts the most is EA highlights these "features" as if ppl are sooo excited to have the CPU make their Tackles and INTs for them. Are the developers that bad at their own game that in brainstorming sessions they are focusing on ways to make the game with less user skill/control based and more CPU/Rating based?

--end rant
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Ball Hawk & Heat Seeker:Why & Will we be able to turn these "features" off?

It's been said that you can turn the heat seeker stuff off.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Banned

californ14's Arena

OVR: 6

Maybe the suction contact and blocking in M25 has been reduced, and to help those with controlling sticks they have implemented heat seeker as sort of a manually activated suction?

I believe all or most First person shooters use some degree of an "Aim Assist" in the multi-player portion of their games....

I do agree that more options to turn things "on" or "off" is always welcome in my world; thus always supported...Lets hope their are options...
Old 05-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
It's been said that you can turn the heat seeker stuff off.
Yes... In the latest EA article about defense they mention you can turn Heat Seeker off. Next time read the whole article before ranting. Also I like Ballhawk feature since I play 90 percent of my games online. This helps for when there is lag during an online game. To me, this was one of my favorite features from last year.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Banned

BannedNinja's Arena

OVR: 0
Wasn't defensive assist basically the same thing? Just don't use it. Or better than that turn it off.

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghustla
but what hurts the most is EA highlights these "features" as if ppl are sooo excited to have the CPU make their Tackles and INTs for them. Are the developers that bad at their own game that in brainstorming sessions they are focusing on ways to make the game with less user skill/control based and more CPU/Rating based?
It makes sense to me that it should be harder to fake out Patrick Willis regardless of if the circle is under him or not than a rookie LB that's athletic but doesn't read plays well and is overaggressive (PUR/AWR/PRC being more meaningful).

If your team is full of the second type of LB - your run D should suffer no matter how good you are at switching and whatnot. User control shouldn't render obsolete the fact you actually don't have four Willis' on your team just because you're good at switching.

Likewise, if I have Ray Rice and make a nifty move - it shouldn't be rendered obsolete for the same reason. I do the move against your poor, over pursuing LBs - you shouldn't be able to switch and negate the mistake (and the benefit of executing a good move) just because now the circle is under him.

Who's user ability would be getting negated there? Mine in controlling Rice or yours because you can switch and correct your player's mistake regardless of how terrible his awareness and such is?

Last edited by KBLover; 05-15-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

i believe that is in Madden 25 according to the articles . When watching these videos i believe its important to see what players are being used at times . i believe some of the hits and tackles will be very depended upon the player and not just user skill at least i hope.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
It makes sense to me that it should be harder to fake out Patrick Willis regardless of if the circle is under him or not than a rookie LB that's athletic but doesn't read plays well and is overaggressive (PUR/AWR/PRC being more meaningful).

If your team is full of the second type of LB - your run D should suffer no matter how good you are at switching and whatnot. User control shouldn't render obsolete the fact you actually don't have four Willis' on your team just because you're good at switching.

Likewise, if I have Ray Rice and make a nifty move - it shouldn't be rendered obsolete for the same reason. I do the move against your poor, over pursuing LBs - you shouldn't be able to switch and negate the mistake (and the benefit of executing a good move) just because now the circle is under him.

Who's user ability would be getting negated there? Mine in controlling Rice or yours because you can switch and correct your player's mistake regardless of how terrible his awareness and such is?

If you are controlling Ray Rice and I have Patrick Willis. You make a nice juke but I anticipate that juke and meet you at that spot. I would assume that it would come down to Truck rating/Break Tackle Rating vs. Tackle Rating/Hit Power Rating.

In the end with this "Feature" you're saying it as if it's user controlled. When it's not unless you consider holding the tackle button down while the cpu controls the player "usering". I just feel that if the user wants the CPU to make Patrick Willis "type" plays why control him to begin with? Essentially the cpu is controlling that player anyways.

Bold response: I never said that defense should have 4 lower tier guys playing like high tier guys. If a user is controlling a player, I would say the only rating that should matter are speed, agi, acc,hit power, catch, etc. As the user is making decision in the cerebral ratings. The reason it was so easy to pickup for lower tiered before was because blocking was broken and no one was picked up at the second level allowing the user to quick switch and "correct mistake". If the blocking is truly fixed then OL should occupy those lower tier LBs limiting their abilities to make plays when they are out of position.

My primary beef is this. Getting interceptions consistantly use to require skill. It required timing and guiding your playing to the spot. If you miss timed the attempt you gave up a bomb and possibly a TD. Now every DB takes the perfect angle to the spot, sometimes even better than the WR. I just hate to see the game moving farther away from emphasizing skill.

With the direction Madden is headed in now. When they finally fix OL-DL play i'm sure there will be an auto pass rush button.

Last edited by dghustla; 05-15-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »