Home

Reining In PrePlay Adjustments

This is a discussion on Reining In PrePlay Adjustments within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #57
Pro

Trick13's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Reining In PrePlay Adjustments

Just to make sure I am not misunderstood - I would use mini/training camp and practice stuff solo franchise - so I am not saying I don't want that stuff.

When I think back to the "glory days" on PS2 however, when I really think about it - the game was simpler and seasons were much quicker allowing you to get much farther into a franchise before burnout.

If I have to run the same play 15 times in practice to build some "play book knowledge" rating of my team up - I am going to crack before the end of season 1 - burnout and quit playing.

I like the idea of the added depth, but feel EA would be alienating a ton of people if you have to "play" practice or get no benefits from it - meaning give us a "simulate" it option that allows you to set priorities on your favorite plays and uses your coaching staff ratings to determine XP earned or what ever benefits...
Old 05-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #58
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
Just to make sure I am not misunderstood - I would use mini/training camp and practice stuff solo franchise - so I am not saying I don't want that stuff.

When I think back to the "glory days" on PS2 however, when I really think about it - the game was simpler and seasons were much quicker allowing you to get much farther into a franchise before burnout.

If I have to run the same play 15 times in practice to build some "play book knowledge" rating of my team up - I am going to crack before the end of season 1 - burnout and quit playing.

I like the idea of the added depth, but feel EA would be alienating a ton of people if you have to "play" practice or get no benefits from it - meaning give us a "simulate" it option that allows you to set priorities on your favorite plays and uses your coaching staff ratings to determine XP earned or what ever benefits...
When I refer to playbook knowledge, that comes from HC09, which had a "simulation" option for practice, as do most sports game off the top of my head. I think M13 was the first game I can think of that didn't offer an option to sim practice. I don't get where this notion comes from that more depth of tasks equates to more work for the User, if they want to micromanage those aspects, cool, if not cool too, just "sim" through it.

Not coming at you but I notice people limiting their POV or thinking inside the box based on what Tiburon has done with Madden versus what's pretty much "old hat" for sports sims in general.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #59
Pro

Trick13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
When I refer to playbook knowledge, that comes from HC09, which had a "simulation" option for practice, as do most sports game off the top of my head. I think M13 was the first game I can think of that didn't offer an option to sim practice. I don't get where this notion comes from that more depth of tasks equates to more work for the User, if they want to micromanage those aspects, cool, if not cool too, just "sim" through it.

Not coming at you but I notice people limiting their POV or thinking inside the box based on what Tiburon has done with Madden versus what's pretty much "old hat" for sports sims in general.
I get it, but the fact that you had to practice to get any XP, there was no simulate it option and the CPU teams never "used" practice makes me want to point out that EA needs to add those "SIM" options when they are adding said depth.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #60
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13
Cool Re: Reining In PrePlay Adjustments

Here's my issue..Who wants to play in a league where you can't make use of virtually every feature available? I don't. And the less I'm allowed to do the more I have to trust EA's programming to get it right.

Seriously? No.

Right now, in M13, I can play on All Madden using Jarrod21's sliders (a resonably good set) and I can beat the CPU by 50 running just one 1 running one play. I can run the I-Form stretch run every down, or I could use the I-Form pass play with both WRs running hitch routes, TE short to middle, backs to flats(whatever its name is). Every down, up and down the field. No adjustments.

Anything that reduces my control and trusts EA programming is nothing short of stupid. No offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide
Old 05-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #61
Pro

Trick13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll2tide
Here's my issue..Who wants to play in a league where you can't make use of virtually every feature available? I don't. And the less I'm allowed to do the more I have to trust EA's programming to get it right.

Seriously? No.

Right now, in M13, I can play on All Madden using Jarrod21's sliders (a resonably good set) and I can beat the CPU by 50 running just one 1 running one play. I can run the I-Form stretch run every down, or I could use the I-Form pass play with both WRs running hitch routes, TE short to middle, backs to flats(whatever its name is). Every down, up and down the field. No adjustments.

Anything that reduces my control and trusts EA programming is nothing short of stupid. No offense.
Again, I am not advocating for EA to make them SIM only, just include an option so for the fast moving "franchises" like ours it can be level playing field, rather the John "stay at home daddy" getting all the benefits and those with jobs and other activities don't get screwed cuz they don't have 60 hrs a week to devote to Madden...

The fact that you beat CPU teams on All-Madden by 50, actually furthers my point that automating or simming practice is a needed option - if for no other reason than the CPU needs to get the same or better benefits from that depth because they don't present a challenge as is...

Not to mention that running those three plays over and over most get boring, yes?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #62
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll2tide

Seriously? No.

So options are stupid and what about things like auto progression instead of using the manual XP allocation, that's stupid too?

I get what you are saying in general but the majority of what goes on in the game will be handled by EA's programming so I don't see what big difference an OPTION to disable some of the preplay adjustments, on both sides of the ball, really makes.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #63
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13
Cool Re: Reining In PrePlay Adjustments

Quote:
So options are stupid and what about things like auto progression instead of using the manual XP allocation, that's stupid too?

I get what you are saying in general but the majority of what goes on in the game will be handled by EA's programming so I don't see what big difference an OPTION to disable some of the preplay adjustments, on both sides of the ball, really makes.
Options....as a concept aren't stupid. Choosing to have less control and turn more over to the programming is. I stand by that opinion pretty firm.

As for the programming I'm referring to....your right I can't control things like OL/DL interactions, how my other 11 players read and react, etc. But simple things....like understanding 'hey I've been beat by 17 consecutive slant routes maybe I oughta play some inside coverage' I can't turn over to EA and I can't imagine why anyone would want to. Or as an OLB....trust that a blitzing OLB and DE can understand that they can work together to create a one on one matchup for one of them....

There will always be some exploiting by users of things in madden that work. I just can't see that controlling that via programming is better than correcting the behavior in league members.

Again, I understand you just want an option. And if they give you one then I'd be happy for you. I'm just of the opinion that that would take too much away from the strategy of a good player. If you have people like this(creating offense at the line) in a league, boot them.

On almost every def play I:
  • Shade every rec inside or out
  • run/pass commit
  • reblitz a DE
  • shift safety zones
  • spotlight 1 rec
  • switch to player I want to control-diff players on diff plays

I enjoy that control and the game would be far less entertaining without it for me.

Edit--I play in 4 leagues. All with like minded players. I am top 10 in defense in 3 of them I believe and around middle of the league in 1. My defense keeps me in games. My defensive strategies and adjustments are the backbone of my game. I feel like the majority of players feel this way about their off, def, or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide

Last edited by roll2tide; 05-18-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #64
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:

Pretty much. Making 4,5 6 "adjustments" during each play is something that needs to go. Player ratings and a better play calling system needs to happen. Making the occasional line call etc.. is fine but should have some sort of outcome dictated by the players ratings on the field.

Unfortunately until total sim input is at EA's ears we'll never get that.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »