Home

The Big Picture

This is a discussion on The Big Picture within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
The Big Picture

In the midst of all the hype and excitement around Owner Mode and the new Connected Franchise Mode in Madden 25, I think OSers are missing the big picture. I guess I have to state this disclaimer so me or this thread don't get labeled EA hating or trolling, so I am not trying to bash the new things that have been revealed or the people that are excited about them.

With that out the way, I am reading about all the depth and nuance put into Owner mode but at what expense or casualty? I listened to Looman in the podcast interview and he seemed to be suggesting that himself and Mike Young felt they had done enough in the player management side in M13, so they were moving on to something else in M25. With so many things still completely missing or incomplete in the Franchise/team/player management areas of CFM, I just don't see how they could move on to Owner Mode.

At this point it seems Tiburon has spent an entire dev cycle creating a Tycoon Mode into Madden, when I thought what we were getting and have been asking for is a fleshed out Franchise Mode. I think it's great that gamers got back 32 team control, import draft classes and owner controls but I don't understand why that constituted going full-bore on this Tycoon mode, while seemingly leaving the player management elements from CCM as is.

In a nutshell, nobody asked for this, on this scale and it seems completely overboard and short sighted to me, in relation to the bigger picture of a career mode. It seems that off/def coordinators, wear n tear injury, player contract negotiation AI, pregame formation subs, mass subs, team chemistry, player morale, to name a few, have taken a backseat to to an Owner mode with advisers, fan morale, etc, that I think many people will end up delegating to the CPU. Again, I think these additions are great and add tons of realism to the administrative side of team management but I don't understand why Looman would do all that at the expense of seemingly leaving player management incomplete.

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: The Big Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
With that out the way, I am reading about all the depth and nuance put into Owner mode but at what expense or casualty? I listened to Looman in the podcast interview and he seemed to be suggesting that himself and Mike Young felt they had done enough in the player management side in M13, so they were moving on to something else in M25. With so many things still completely missing or incomplete in the Franchise/team/player management areas of CFM, I just don't see how they could move on to Owner Mode.

At this point it seems Tiburon has spent an entire dev cycle creating a Tycoon Mode into Madden, when I thought what we were getting and have been asking for is a fleshed out Franchise Mode. I think it's great that gamers got back 32 team control, import draft classes and owner controls but I don't understand why that constituted going full-bore on this Tycoon mode, while seemingly leaving the player management elements from CCM as is.

In a nutshell, nobody asked for this, on this scale and it seems completely overboard and short sighted to me, in relation to the bigger picture of a career mode. It seems that off/def coordinators, wear n tear injury, player contract negotiation AI, pregame formation subs, mass subs, team chemistry, player morale, to name a few, have taken a backseat to to an Owner mode with advisers, fan morale, etc, that I think many people will end up delegating to the CPU. Again, I think these additions are great and add tons of realism to the administrative side of team management but I don't understand why Looman would do all that at the expense of seemingly leaving player management incomplete.

Thoughts?
We have not gotten all the information yet. We are getting the back of the box feature right now. The nuances are not back of the box features. Right now its just time to sit and wait. We don't have a complete picture, so lets wait until we do until we jump off the deep end...again.

You always seem to have your finger on the button Big. Take it off the button for the love of God man.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
We have not gotten all the information yet. We are getting the back of the box feature right now. The nuances are not back of the box features. Right now its just time to sit and wait. We don't have a complete picture, so lets wait until we do until we jump off the deep end...again.

You always seem to have your finger on the button Big. Take it off the button for the love of God man.
LOL fair enough. It's funny that I can be labeled "the most optimistic poster on OS" by one and always having my finger on the button by another, I love the diversity of OS, lol. Anyway, I hope your right but there has already been confirmation by EAGCs that off/def coordinators are not in, they haven't noticed pregame formation subs and player morale is the same as last year, so it's not all rampant speculation and fear mongering on my part.

That said, I do agree I have this compulsion about being the first to discover something "secret", that means jack ish, so you got me there, lol.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
Pro

michapop9's Arena

OVR: 9

To quote shopmaster (not precisely word for word) but he said that when ALL the info came out about CFM he would be able to do a seperate blog for about 15 days to go in depth about the new(??) features.

Though I feel pretty confident that we havent heard everything, I highly doubt that theres much more than whats already been revealed. Well see I guess.

I dont post on here much or even sign in but Ive been viewing OS forums since well before it was OS and I have to say Big FN deal and ONLY1LT have been some of my favorite posters due to the fact that they are right in line with my thoughts on Madden, and they do it in a very tactful intelligent way.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
MVP

Danimal's Arena

OVR: 21

I'm cutting this off right now. There was no reason to take a shot at LT, he isn't even in this thread.

I've warned both of you repeatedly. Warnings are over.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by michapop9
To quote shopmaster (not precisely word for word) but he said that when ALL the info came out about CFM he would be able to do a seperate blog for about 15 days to go in depth about the new(??) features.

Though I feel pretty confident that we havent heard everything, I highly doubt that theres much more than whats already been revealed. Well see I guess.

I dont post on here much or even sign in but Ive been viewing OS forums since well before it was OS and I have to say Big FN deal and ONLY1LT have been some of my favorite posters due to the fact that they are right in line with my thoughts on Madden, and they do it in a very tactful intelligent way.
I agree with you and Big. I really think they put all there energy and resources into owner mode. As for the 15 seperate blogs. He could do one for selling apparel, selling concession, jersey popularity, etc...So there is probably a lot to do in owner mode.

However, I am worried that they didnt focus on some glaring issues in CFM. Computer AI on and off the field. (play selection on the field and signing players in the offseason) Strategy elements such as formation subs, roster management (roster size for game days).
Old 05-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
LOL fair enough. It's funny that I can be labeled "the most optimistic poster on OS" by one and always having my finger on the button by another, I love the diversity of OS, lol. Anyway, I hope your right but there has already been confirmation by EAGCs that off/def coordinators are not in, they haven't noticed pregame formation subs and player morale is the same as last year, so it's not all rampant speculation and fear mongering on my part.

That said, I do agree I have this compulsion about being the first to discover something "secret", that means jack ish, so you got me there, lol.

They have made a point that they want features more of less fleshed out before releasing them. We can argue till we are blue in the face regarding how well they do that but that is their stance. So for off/def coordinators, they probably don't have a good enough system designed. If we are just going to get what we had, then they can leave it out. Think about the game in its current state. They would need to model playability, progression to a head coach, the effects of a off/def coordinator for Owner mode ect, ect. It takes time to design and develop a god system and I think they are taking their time. If we get less features, but they work, I'll take it over more features that do not work.

The other things seem to be interesting omissions. I think one of the issues with the pre game player subs is how to get the AI to utilize the feature. That is the biggest problem in my mind when these features are added. Do they give the player an unfair advantage over the AI. We are discussing this concept in the other thread Big.

If we want to look at the even bigger picture, the base game we have now is very good looking forward.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
They have made a point that they want features more of less fleshed out before releasing them. We can argue till we are blue in the face regarding how well they do that but that is their stance. So for off/def coordinators, they probably don't have a good enough system designed. If we are just going to get what we had, then they can leave it out. Think about the game in its current state. They would need to model playability, progression to a head coach, the effects of a off/def coordinator for Owner mode ect, ect. It takes time to design and develop a god system and I think they are taking their time. If we get less features, but they work, I'll take it over more features that do not work.

The other things seem to be interesting omissions. I think one of the issues with the pre game player subs is how to get the AI to utilize the feature. That is the biggest problem in my mind when these features are added. Do they give the player an unfair advantage over the AI. We are discussing this concept in the other thread Big.

If we want to look at the even bigger picture, the base game we have now is very good looking forward.
The point I am making is that whatever resources were needed to flesh out the player management side, ie off/def coordinators, should have been allocated prior to fleshing out Owner Mode. Reason being, they have been working on the player management/Franchise stuff since M10 and it still isn't complete in M25. They essentially walked away from what they started for general Franchise in M13 and jumped over to creating a Tycoon Mode with advisers, staff, etc but no off/def coordinators for player management.

I would have thought he would have thrown the kitchen sink at player management, ala HC09 but more, added back 32 team control, import draft classes and a basic Owner mode with hot dog prices, relocation, etc, to be fleshed out next year. Also the fact that AJ tweeted that "don't bother" comment with regard to Franchise mode going forward.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »