Home

To those who say "it's just Madden 2005 part 2"

This is a discussion on To those who say "it's just Madden 2005 part 2" within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #25
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: To those who say "it's just Madden 2005 part 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
That is what rookie and pro game settings should be for - the people who want 5-7 seconds in the pocket with wide open receivers.
I'd agree with you on this... if Madden had better difficulty sliders. The problem I've always seen is that if you move sliders down to a Pro level, EVERYTHING with the CPU drops to pro level. That includes their intelligence. The result is Tom Brady throwing 5 pick-sixes in a game because the CPU was stupid enough to throw to a WR covered by Champ Bailey in the flats.

There isn't a happy medium with the sliders. I should be able to crank the CPU intelligence to All-Madden, but give the CPU Pro-level physical abilities. This isn't possible. FIFA 13 allows this. I can play a game of FIFA 13 and crank up the CPU's decision-making, but handicap them physically.

Quote:
I am tired of the excuses - the casuals the casuals the casuals, accessibility for the newbie - blank that! Build the game for the hardcore SIM heads and arcade it down via lower difficulty settings.

All-Madden out of the box used to be challenging against the CPU. Cheating not withstanding but that needs to make a return....
The problem is that the "hardcore SIM heads" aren't the majority who buy Madden. Yes, if I had it my way, Madden would offer difficulty settings that would apply to both the typical Madden gamer and the "sim heads." But it doesn't, and if the "sim ballas" decided to boycott Madden outright, I highly doubt Madden's sales would be affected very badly.

If they would fix the difficulty sliders, then things would line up much better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #26
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
I'd agree with you on this... if Madden had better difficulty sliders. The problem I've always seen is that if you move sliders down to a Pro level, EVERYTHING with the CPU drops to pro level. That includes their intelligence. The result is Tom Brady throwing 5 pick-sixes in a game because the CPU was stupid enough to throw to a WR covered by Champ Bailey in the flats.

There isn't a happy medium with the sliders. I should be able to crank the CPU intelligence to All-Madden, but give the CPU Pro-level physical abilities. This isn't possible. FIFA 13 allows this. I can play a game of FIFA 13 and crank up the CPU's decision-making, but handicap them physically.

The problem is that the "hardcore SIM heads" aren't the majority who buy Madden. Yes, if I had it my way, Madden would offer difficulty settings that would apply to both the typical Madden gamer and the "sim heads." But it doesn't, and if the "sim ballas" decided to boycott Madden outright, I highly doubt Madden's sales would be affected very badly.

If they would fix the difficulty sliders, then things would line up much better.
i agree hardcore sim guys are the minority however that is easily solved with an option called game type or game style.

EX. NBA has a casual game type and a sim game type. on casual you take any player run into the paint and throw down a monster dunk regardless of who is in your way. on sim not so much it respects good defense and positioning

we all need the option to play how we want
Old 05-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #27
Banned

californ14's Arena

OVR: 6

Is it just me or are sliders the biggest mystery in the game? I have read a number of articles that appear to explain what the sliders are and how they work, but nothing confirmed...

Is a setting of 50 across all the sliders mean that the actual player ratings are used? Or does that 50 mean that the Madden players ratings are distorted and altered right out of the box?

Seems the base should be all ratings at 100% influence and the sliders just raise or lower from the base ratings...

Then, how much to sliders alter ratings? If I go from 50 to 60, what has happened within the formula? What is the formula? Do sliders even work?

Basically, a detailed EA Tiburon write up on Sliders from what settings are truly player ratings at and so forth?

(And then, do penalty sliders affect game play and if so, how?)

Too much damn secret crap which leads to player frustration and a **** load of hypothesis and theories to bother with purchasing this game....If EA Tiburon has no clue what the sliders do then get them the hell out, that may be part of the problem....

Last edited by californ14; 05-23-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #28
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick589
i agree hardcore sim guys are the minority however that is easily solved with an option called game type or game style.

EX. NBA has a casual game type and a sim game type. on casual you take any player run into the paint and throw down a monster dunk regardless of who is in your way. on sim not so much it respects good defense and positioning

we all need the option to play how we want
Yup, I totally agree. Madden needs to get the difficulty sliders and choices fixed. That'd help on many levels.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #29
Banned

AaronS444's Arena

OVR: 0

Broncos86,

I would love to see 3 versions of the game released:

- An Arcade version, for the guy who just wants to plug-and-play
- A hardcore sim (which they had in Head Coach)
- And a classic version(s) with playable seasons of the past

I don't like the one size fits all approach anymore. The wants of the Community vary too much now as the years have gone by.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #30
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronS444
Broncos86,

I would love to see 3 versions of the game released:

- An Arcade version, for the guy who just wants to plug-and-play
- A hardcore sim (which they had in Head Coach)
- And a classic version(s) with playable seasons of the past

I don't like the one size fits all approach anymore. The wants of the Community vary too much now as the years have gone by.
There's no reason that can't all be included in one game. The only issue with the last bullet point is getting the rights to all the past players. Otherwise you just see numbers, which I suppose is fine. But the demand has to be there, and my gut tells me it would not.

There's no reason why Mr. Plug and Play and Mr Sim cannot both play the same game. There might be the issue of perception. Mr. Plug and Play wants to believe he IS playing a simulation of the NFL, even if he isn't. He doesn't want to play NFL Blitz, he wants what he perceives is an NFL experience.

But still, the issue really just comes down to how Madden's difficulty sliders are done. Why the intelligence of the CPU is tied to the sliders is beyond me. That should be a separate slider. All they need to do is clean up the sliders and they're set. Some sliders don't appear to do anything, or or vague in how they work. Of course, that means more rebuilding, which means don't expect anything like that for this gen. Perhaps next gen.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #31
Banned

AaronS444's Arena

OVR: 0

EA is incapable of putting 3-in-1.. They can't even get 2 right, as the last 8 years have shown.

.. but these are just keystrokes. I know darn good and well EA would never undertake making 3 versions to satisfy the masses.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #32
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronS444
EA is incapable of putting 3-in-1.. They can't even get 2 right, as the last 8 years have shown.

.. but these are just keystrokes. I know darn good and well EA would never undertake making 3 versions to satisfy the masses.
So my question is: why make three versions? What technical reasons would there be to release three versions? Especially when they could fit all "three" on one disc and sell it? What makes the "sim" and "arcade" versions so different that they require different releases?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »