Home

tips for getting #1 wr the ball more

This is a discussion on tips for getting #1 wr the ball more within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2013, 02:19 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: tips for getting #1 wr the ball more

Teams move players around in real life too, so don't feel too much like a cheeser. I've definitely seen Boldin lined up at flanker, split end, and slot as a Raven, and I know he played in the slot a bunch with the Cards as well. Play to your team's strengths - if the #1 WR is running a go and the #2 is on a crossing pattern, it makes sense for Torrey to go deep and Boldin to work the shorter route, even if that means you have to swap WR spots.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 6

I use to also have this problem and ended up mainly throwing to my TEs before the current surge/ next generations of TEs

Madden doesnt seem to have a great WR/CB dynamic yet to handle WR1 getting receptions but not making big runs unless going agaisnt a great man to man guy like revis.

The feel of realism just isnt there, no im not saying you cant throw to WR1 yada yada yada
Old 06-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
Pro

jmaj315's Arena

OVR: 2

I find that motioning your #1 helps, especially when he's on the narrow side of the field and running and out/comeback
Also, he might be able to expose zone coverage or a blitz and then you can change his route to beat it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 0

Audible hook route if CB plays off/looks like a blitz, make him first read and throw if you see he has space with no defense underneath. And audible streak route if CB plays up close - make him first read and if it is cover 2 then he should be open. But like mentioned, beware of safety positioning, sometimes if you dont get the throw close enough to the sideline, or if the safety generally is too close, it can get picked
Old 06-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 0
I routinely get my #1 100+ receptions. I use gameflow and rarely hot route, my personal feelings is that hot routing takes advantage of piss poor AI. The things I look for in a #1 is good release and route running (85+), catch in traffic (90+) and size. I like my receivers to be 6'3" 200 or larger. Your #1 is probably open more than you think, a lot of the people I've played in league immediately crutch to the slot or TE because they are usually open early.
If you want to get your #1 more catches, you need to look at him first every play, no matter who is the primary on the play.

2020: 52-39
Old 06-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I have the same issue with Brandon Marshall, I'm just much more comfortable throwing to the left side of the field and Marshall is usually on the right side. The only time I can consistently get him the ball is on spot routes vs zone coverage
Old 06-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
I have the same issue with Brandon Marshall, I'm just much more comfortable throwing to the left side of the field and Marshall is usually on the right side. The only time I can consistently get him the ball is on spot routes vs zone coverage
I have the same problem...SOMETIMES.....but it is kinda realistic to me, so i don't care. I use the Raiders in my CCM so I have 3 players who are capable of catching the ball. Jacoby, Heyward-Bey, and Moore. I utilize them differently based on coverage. If you check out my dynasty on my arena, you'll see that on 1 drive I kept throwing the ball to Moore becuase the coverage was bad. On another drive, I through it to Bey alot because he beat the CB on the press. And I threw it to Ford because he burnt Eric Weddle. Players like you prob. feel like you are ignoring a WR, but it's okay. The only team in the NFL that spread the ball out ALOT were the Atlanta Falcons...........LOL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 26

Try slants and crossing routes as the easiest options. Depending on your personal ability/team ability screens and curls too

Just call me Sanchez

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »