Home

tips for getting #1 wr the ball more

This is a discussion on tips for getting #1 wr the ball more within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-06-2013, 06:15 AM   #17
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: tips for getting #1 wr the ball more

This is something I used to struggle with but it was actually pretty easy in M25. Coverage is not disguised in that game. If the CB plays soft on your WR you can hot route to a curl all day and complete it. If the CB is pressing your WR you can hot route to a deep route and hit him. If it's Zone press then you just have to time it right to hit him between the CB and S. It was so easy last year I had to house rule myself to stop using hot routes since the defense never disguised anything.

The real problem for me is will the cpu finally get the ball to their #1 WRs? EA's cpu QB logic has been terrible in this regard. You can play against Calvin Johnson and shut him down without doing anything special. The truth is you should be doubling him all game and he should still get 100 yards and a TD. He won't even come close if you do that. It's been a big annoyance this entire generation for me.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #18
MVP

mm boost's Arena

OVR: 12

When I play my games, I look like Peyton Manning at the line of scrimmage. I usually read the defense pre-snap and hot route accordingly. If they are playing off, I will do a quick out, slant, or drag. Some times curls, depending on the corner. If they are playing press, I typically send them on the outward go route or the stutter out route, and Dez Bryant usually kills em every time. In my first season with Dez on m13, he had 101 receptions, 1,386 yards and 13 tds. I just had game 1 of the new season 2 nights ago, and he had 9 receptions for 112 yards. You just got to master timing, master reading a defense, and know when to trust your playmaker to make the big play. If you have a qb with good pocket presence and a good o line, you can extend the play by moving around in the pocket, and usually slants across the field, one of your top 2 wr are bound to be open if you get enough time. Just got to be quick on your feet. I had a few games last season with Romo where he had 90+% completion. I had one game where he went 25-27. Just got to master timing and reading your defenses.

Last edited by mm boost; 06-06-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #19
Rookie

trashman's Arena

OVR: 2

I typically use a red zone threat as my #1 receiver. In my CC right now I drafted Calvin Johnson in the Fantasy Draft so its a bit easier to get him the ball. I throw a lot of slants, curls, and run the Power O and off tackle to bring the safeties up some. Then once the Corners and Safeties come up to play press man I hot route to a streak and throw to the outside as long as Megatron beats the corner off the line, the Safety isn't fast enough to cover him. If not then I just check down to the flats. Megatron usually ends up with around 100 yards receiving per game with a few 30+ catches on those streaks. I've broken the season Receiving yards record twice with him like this. He's up for resigning next year and is getting older so I'll probably trade him for a draft pick and use my #2 Trent Platt instead.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #20
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
I have the same issue with Brandon Marshall, I'm just much more comfortable throwing to the left side of the field and Marshall is usually on the right side. The only time I can consistently get him the ball is on spot routes vs zone coverage
Marshall has a 99 release I think. Look to him whenever the DBs are pressing. Unless it's one of the super physical shutdown guys like Sherman, Marshall will often blast them off the line and come wide open immediately.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #21
EA Game Changer

sgibs7's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by live to die54
ive always struggled to get my #1 wr the ball. no matter what team i use or who the wr is i struggle to get him the ball 5 times a game. my slot and my number 2 wr always lead my team in all receiving categories. i know i can put him at either #2 or slot but that just seems cheating to me. my wr's currently are anquan boldin, torrey smith and jacoby jones. any help is appeciated.

note this is for offline ccm with the ravens im doing
two things you can do to get him the ball more.

run him on more drags from the FL or SE (outside WR's on either side of the field)

run him on out routes and smart route them from the FL or SE

run him as part of the peyton manning dig and dag offense from the slot. This would mean he runs off the route tree from the slot. For example....

One play you have him run a streak. The next play have him run a corner. The next play have him run a curl. The next play have him run a post. You want to keep changing that route so the defense can't adapt to your tendencies. Make sure to always have a drag running underneath it.

The drag is your first read on every play and if its there you take it. (if you face 2 man under throw a high lead pass after about 3-4 yards. He will look covered, but trust this throw.) He will get lead upfield and will get a 5-10 yard gain.

The slot will start to open up on mainly streaks and corners based on how often you are targeting the underneath drag. Keeeeeep hitting the drag just as Peyton does.

The easier thing to do is run a curl flats approach with the slot and FL/SE

Run the slot on a flat. Hot route the FL/SE to a out and smart route.

This out route is open against a ton of defenses. 2 Man Under with shade coverage to the outside will stop the out and Cover 2 Sink will also stop the out.

Both those defenses are very weak to other schemes (4 verticals) - wheels etc so you will have a lot of success

My latest Madden 13 & NCAA 13 strategy guides:
Official EA SPORTS Madden NFL 13 Strategy Guide
Official EA SPORTS NCAA Football 13 Strategy Guide

Learn more about Madden Tips:
www.MaddenTips.com

http://twitter.com/Sgibs7
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #22
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
This is something I used to struggle with but it was actually pretty easy in M25. Coverage is not disguised in that game. If the CB plays soft on your WR you can hot route to a curl all day and complete it. If the CB is pressing your WR you can hot route to a deep route and hit him. If it's Zone press then you just have to time it right to hit him between the CB and S. It was so easy last year I had to house rule myself to stop using hot routes since the defense never disguised anything.

The real problem for me is will the cpu finally get the ball to their #1 WRs? EA's cpu QB logic has been terrible in this regard. You can play against Calvin Johnson and shut him down without doing anything special. The truth is you should be doubling him all game and he should still get 100 yards and a TD. He won't even come close if you do that. It's been a big annoyance this entire generation for me.
Yep, this is what destroys the realism for me every time I play Madden and NCAA. The CPU don't use their best players like they should. EA need to add a touches rating for players like NBA 2K has for players. That way you can adjust what player on the team gets his hands on the ball the most. It would greatly improve CPU AI play.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #23
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41

The cpu throwing to the #1 & #2 WR is my biggest problem. They throw to the slot and TE's as quickly as they can in most situations.

The CPU also needs to move them around more, #1's don't always line up on the outside. Sometimes they'll slide to the slot and motion to the slot to get an advantage on the d playing man.

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -
Old 06-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 0

Move him to the WR spot you can get the ball to most.

Do stop routes vs man
Do streaks vs cover two zone
Change the games threshold to lower if you feel your fast WRs are useless and can't get passed ronde barber 1 on 1

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »