Home

Ratings fears

This is a discussion on Ratings fears within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #121
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: Ratings fears

Well put Dan, when you see everything in action working together it's a thing of beauty. Anquan Boldin is a great example of one rating standing out that might make people scratch their heads, until you see how all the ratings interact together.
Good stuff, I have been thoroughly enjoying a roster on M12 that was rated using your site.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #122
Pro

Trick13's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Ratings fears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
To my knowledge, Welker is not rated a 90 in RBK.

http://www.fbgratings.com/members/profile.php?pyid=1982

That is a false statement. Since 1997, he has graded out as the 2nd best blocking WR in the league (2nd only to Hines Ward).

http://www.fbgratings.com/members/profile.php?pyid=1947

What you continuously fail to realize is that many of these ratings work together to create an outcome. For run blocking, the STR, RBS, and RBF ratings work in conjunction with one another to form a result. His RBS of 71 and RBF of 73 are very high for a WR, and very low for an OL. Now look at his STR of 56. Do you really think he is going to hold up against Suggs, Ware, Allen, Wake and even Zombo with below-average run-blocking skills (for an OL) and even worse STR (for an OL)?

It doesn't work that way. I think people get fixated on one or two ratings and fail to see the entire picture. Even with these players rated as is, Frank Zombo should blow him up!

http://www.fbgratings.com/members/pr...php?pyid=76179

Zombo bests him in STR by 17 points (73) and his BSH is 86. If you move Welker to OT, for example, his attributes would barely make the threshold for the worst OT in the league.

Even if Welker was compared to Shea Allard, the differential in STR make all the difference when a guy has nearly 30 points higher STR.

http://www.fbgratings.com/members/pr...php?pyid=68346

These ratings are designed to work together. You cannot single out one rating from one another in this system. That is not how football works.

One of my best friends is a 320lb mountain of a man who can bench over 500 and squat over 750. His STR rating would be pushing 95+ in Madden. Does that mean that he will certainly be a success in the NFL at OG? He can barely walk and chew bubblegum at the same time, let alone he has the worst coordination of anyone I know (sorry John, but you fit the example). His RBF rating would be 10, IMO. If you look solely at his STR rating you would think, "Wow! This guy could be a mauler to place at RG and run behind all day!". The problem is that if his technique is poor (application of his strength in run blocking - RBS, and footwork while run blocking - RBF), he will get blown back no matter how hard he pushes or how strong he is.

The case for Welker is similar. He show great technique in blocking for a WR. He is able to contain most DBs and some LBs when blocking from the slot. However, his STR is so low in comparison to other players like many LBs and just about every DL, that he could have 99 in RBS and RBF and still lose every battle when blocking. His lack of STR makes him a liability against stronger players.

This is merely a philosophy that drives the ratings. If you don't like ratings that attempt to see and utilize the whole picture of a player's ability, then these are not for you. I don't hold it against people who do not like them, but I get dozens of emails every day from people who say they do, and to me, that is all that matters. I know I cannot possibly please everyone but I still wish you luck in finding whatever makes you happy with your ratings and Madden experience.
The problem I have is that this current system that EA uses sucks. Even with low STR players hold up far too well on the OL - videos on YouTube, even my own testing with QBs moved to OL and the animation system still has the 12 OVR player holding up and even pancake blocking 90 plus rated players.

Until the game is programmed in way that it accounts for physics, or more over is entirely run on physics, ratings have to be adjusted for position/size.

I really am not attempting to be contentious with you on this, really want EA to make some changes, and I am really hoping that for current gen we get a share option that makes FBG ratings available for use across all game modes...

...or any custom rosters for that matter.

Last edited by Trick13; 06-09-2013 at 01:11 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »