Home

Ratings fears

This is a discussion on Ratings fears within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Ratings fears

Quote:
Originally Posted by infemous
My issue with this is that people are having to do it themselves. Why must people who pay their hard earned cash for the game have to (or feel a need to) do a job that someone else is being paid to do??

With a pay packet and a nickname, you'd expect a certain degree of quality. The constant onus being placed upon us, as CUSTOMERS (we forget this too often), by EA to pick up the slack and invest our own free time into, to extract enjoyment from a subpar product is disgusting.

We thank EA for giving us the option to improve their game for them, we welcome entirely all the means for customisation (which should be expected anyway) because we're sick and tired of having to rely on EA to get it right.

Am I the only person who sees something wrong with this???

I just want customization like in OOTP. Does it mean OOTP players are fixing what Markus didn't get right? Maybe, maybe not. End of the day, I have the power to do it and if I do disagree with a rating or some aspect of the play or a team builds a new park or moves next season or whatever, I can just change it and move on, even without picking up next year's game.

What I think is wrong is the lack of customization that "forces" us to "hope" EA gets it reasonably close. If we could customize easily and have that and sharing supported by EA - we could then be about that instead of talking about how bad the ratings are.

As far as feeling the need to, that goes back to what TheDelta said - it's opinion and even scouts are wrong, and they are also paid to "rate" players.

That's why customization is important. You could make your own roster, share it out, etc. That's the wrong - the lack of customization, imo.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #18
Banned

californ14's Arena

OVR: 6

With ratings and traits being, quite possibly, useless, at this point I do not think I would be bothered if they had former circus apes doing them....Most likely ALL the offensive and defensive linemen will be rated TOO high, and generally everyone else...

I am willing to bet anyone could build a team off nothing but undrafted free agents and still gain the stats, wins and super bowls..

With all that said, it would seem in the best interest for EA Tiburon to have more than 1 person doing all these "important" ratings, UNLESS, EA Tiburon is silently stating that, "ratings and traits are useless" and that they have no idea how they even work together....
Old 06-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #19
MVP

infemous's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck911
I always ask ok Donny Moore does not know what he is doing what qualifies you to be any better?Just something to think about I am not saying you are right or wrong i am just saying that If Moore is taking his job seriously he access to info and stuff you don't ,Tomorrow he can say give me a bunch of game tape from college,Give me his high school 40 and college 40,Give me his combine numbers.Pretty sure if he push a little he can talk scouts or team personnel people.I am not saying Moore is good or you are wrong,What qualifies you think that you are doing a better job.

Just for fun I type in Earl Thomas and Kenny Vaccaro

This is one of the first things that showed up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1RAsLwY8nU

Clearly Darren Woodson who played safety thinks that Earl Thomas and Kenny Vaccaro have some similarities.So who is right All pro safety or you?
Firstly I am NOT saying that I want to do his job, for the exact reason Donny Moore is not good at his - I am not qualified.

The issue is, is that his ratings do not seem to reflect any research into the players. Too often they are flat out wrong. Taylor Mays having 96+ agility when he was unanimously criticised for a lack of lateral movement skills and fluidity of the hips is another prime example of this.

If Donny Moore actually used quanitifiable numbers and stats, as well as numerous scouting reports and all of the resources he has available to him, he wouldn't be so derided for being 'bad at his job'.

The truth is, is that Donny Moore is in an impossible position. No single person could do his job well, because not only does he have to maintain and edit players' ratings, but also team roster moves and equipment updates (I believe - correct me if wrong).

As is said earlier in the thread, there is a way to make sure ratings are done to an acceptable standard and that is by hiring a team, delegating responsibility.

Also, that is a Texas Longhorns video... and both Earl Thomas and Kenny Vaccaro were Texas Longhorns... Gonna be kinda misrepresentative. This article here compares him to Polamalu and says that he differs from Earl Thomas because they play the game differently: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...9177--nfl.html The fact is, is that there are too many points of reference for one person to look through to get an agreeable reading on the ratings. We both pulled out contradictory pieces with their own merits and flaws (I pulled out a yahoo article... ) - the issue is how one man simply cannot go through all of them and find a consensus with regards to that assessment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
I don't see it any differently than having to put real player names into a NCAA game or The Show for the Minor League's. Nobody is forcing you to do it, it's something you do because you feel it makes your game better, more realistic, etc. And, again, it's subjective. Just because you feel the ratings suck or are wrong doesn't mean that everyone feels the same way.
I was speaking more generally about how EA tends to go about things. I think that if you look at how many people frequent this forum and use its sliders and will probably use its roster share feature (if included) you will see that it is not just 'me' who thinks it sucks. There are many many many many people who take issue with the ratings for multiple reasons.

Of course its subjective. THAT IS THE ISSUE.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #20
MVP

Caveman24's Arena

OVR: 25

Well for me I play by the no switch rule and the ratings matter alot more. You won't be able to get away with a 20 AWR rated player on the field its pretty legit. Now far as the rating what I noticed is the physical attributes are over powered.

If you look at some players they are rated WAY to high IMHO because of that. Take a guy like Kellen Wislow who has great speed,acc etc for a TE and because of that he's a 87 OVR FA TE. Same goes for an guy like Ted Ginn who has an high rating based upon his blazing speed and not his cat,awr etc.

In conclusion I think more things need to be done to make the AWR,Play Recognition etc matter more vs the speed,acc, etc. We all seen those stud un drafted FA who come in 99 speed 99 acc with 10 AWR but still have an 77 OVR etc. Lastly we can't complain about the ratings until we understand them. EA needs to give a full explanation of the ratings that way we can properly rate these players.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

I'm more concerned with how the objective data (speed, strength ect) will be treated since Madden really boils down to that. For instance, I'm expecting Ravens rookies:

Safety Matt Elam - 40 time 4.46

ILB Arthur Brown - 40 time 4.58

Quote:
Although Brown is lighter than ideal at 6-foot, 242 pounds, he runs the 40-yard dash in 4.58 seconds and was a two-time team captain at Kansas State.
Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...#ixzz2VGWadAQb

I would think just based on the objective data they would be pretty fast, but my guess is they are going to be slower than what I'm thinking.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #22
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

My main problem with the way EA rates ratings is that the whole system needs to be spread out more. Way too many players with 90 plus speed or 90 plus tackle rating, etc. And usually the more popular a team is, the more over inflated that team ratings are just for they can look good.

But at the end the day, EA have to figure out a way to make the other ratings matter a hell of a lot more on the field other then speed. That probably won't happen to next gen though where they can get proper foot planting, deceleration, weight shifting, etc in place. It would also help if they had different running strides in the game as well.

Let us not fool ourselves though. Casuals make up the majority of the video game customer base. As long as online is working, that is the only thing that matters to your average person that buy video games. I have learned to accept that years ago and just edit the rosters of sports games myself. So as long as editing rosters is still available, I'll live.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #23
MVP

Robcards's Arena

OVR: 9

Saying that ratings are entirely subjective is absolute BS. There are measurables, there are statistics, and some things you can clearly see on the field. Madden ratings have been legendarily awful and I just found out its just one guy doing them which explains a lot. Absolutely absurd. It should be a team of former scouts or other positions in the nfl, with some statisticians involved. Yet another reason I hope the nfl makes the exclusive lisence too rich for EA to buy so maybe they put that money into the actual game.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 1

Actually, I'd contend that's a fairly accurate comparison. Vaccaro may be bigger, but if you watch his tape he's a solid yet unspectacular tackler. Where's he's shown a lot of ability is playing the slot and covering at S.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »