Home

Canadian Online Gamer: E3 Hands On "This is the Madden you've been waiting for"

This is a discussion on Canadian Online Gamer: E3 Hands On "This is the Madden you've been waiting for" within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Canadian Online Gamer: E3 Hands On "This is the Madden you've been waiting for"

I am so ready for next gen I can't even stand it..
Old 06-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Canadian Online Gamer: E3 Hands On "This is the Madden you've been waiting for"

I am so ready for next gen I can't even stand it..
Old 06-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
"I noticed some new tackle and hit animations as well but this is to be expected as we see a plethora of new animations with every Madden game that is released."

This is the most disappointing aspect of the "improvements" to Madden to me. This quote was written about the next gen version, mind you.

I don't want new tackle animations added. What is the point of Infinity Engine? What is the point of Ignite? What is the point of next gen hardware?

"New" dev team. Same development approach as every other Madden ever made.

I thought only ShopRite did the Can Can...
We'll find out eventually, but I think this may be a case of a previewer using familiar phrases to describe what they see, and not realizing that this use of tried and true vernacular will cause the most discerning members of the community to misinterpret what he means. "Animations" have become a pejorative term for many people.

People will have to see and play the game for themselves(this is always the case, but especially with this new gen and tech), because I imagine that most of the written descriptions of the game will use verbiage that unintentionally misrepresents what is going on in the new games.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
We'll find out eventually, but I think this may be a case of a previewer using familiar phrases to describe what they see, and not realizing that this use of tried and true vernacular will cause the most discerning members of the community to misinterpret what he means. "Animations" have become a pejorative term for many people.

People will have to see and play the game for themselves(this is always the case, but especially with this new gen and tech), because I imagine that most of the written descriptions of the game will use verbiage that unintentionally misrepresents what is going on in the new games.
Things might change between now and release, but I've seen the game in action through the IGN Live Demo. It is completely and utterly obvious that the animations are very much the same as current gen animations. They are tackle animations and not physics based. So it isn't that anything is being misrepresented. This is what it is.

Why the game isn't, or at least doesn't appear to be going, more towards the direction of physics based gameplay is beyond me. IE is pretty much pointless. Ignite is pretty much pointless. The new hardware is pretty much pointless. From what has been shown thus far, the game is very much the same as it has always been.

I was totally expecting this to be the case, because I've seen what Tiburon is capable of, but this is one time where I REALLY would have liked to have been wrong.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
Things might change between now and release, but I've seen the game in action through the IGN Live Demo. It is completely and utterly obvious that the animations are very much the same as current gen animations. They are tackle animations and not physics based. So it isn't that anything is being misrepresented. This is what it is.

Why the game isn't, or at least doesn't appear to be going, more towards the direction of physics based gameplay is beyond me. IE is pretty much pointless. Ignite is pretty much pointless. The new hardware is pretty much pointless. From what has been shown thus far, the game is very much the same as it has always been.

I was totally expecting this to be the case, because I've seen what Tiburon is capable of, but this is one time where I REALLY would have liked to have been wrong.
Everything they are doing is to get away from canned animations. The dive tackle this year is completely physics, no animation for it at all. The true step locomotion is step based and eliminates sliding, gliding. They are going towards a fully physics based game, but slowly working towards that direction. You need to do your homework before you make accusations based on tour limited understanding of the dev team and direction of this franchise. This dev team is taking a drastically different approach the we have ever seen before. The overhaul that Clint Oldenburg is making in o and d line play and the new step based locomotion should make that obvious to just about anyone. This is far from a finished project, but people are going to be shocked with the quality of product next gen madden will deliver.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
10,11, and 12 are irrelevant. New dev team, new direction, new game. We'll see what you have to say in August and November.
And Ian and co were also a new dev team, with new direction etc. starting with 10. Like I said, I've heard this tag line before...
Old 06-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #15
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Everything they are doing is to get away from canned animations. The dive tackle this year is completely physics, no animation for it at all. The true step locomotion is step based and eliminates sliding, gliding. They are going towards a fully physics based game, but slowly working towards that direction. You need to do your homework before you make accusations based on tour limited understanding of the dev team and direction of this franchise. This dev team is taking a drastically different approach the we have ever seen before. The overhaul that Clint Oldenburg is making in o and d line play and the new step based locomotion should make that obvious to just about anyone. This is far from a finished project, but people are going to be shocked with the quality of product next gen madden will deliver.
Word of advice. You sound really ridiculous right now, and you might want to tone it down.

I've done more "homework" than you will ever know. Unlike you, my actual homework involves programming.

That's besides the point. I don't care what they say. Look at the game playing. The animations are very much the same. Those are not physics based tackling animations. It is obvious to anyone with eyes that the game animates very similarly to current gen Madden.

When I see instances of the runner getting ready to launch into a hurdle animation, get a little off the ground, then immediately land back on the ground and go into a tackle animation because it was triggered by the tackle animation interrupting his hurdle animation, it is obvious that it is not a physics based game.

I have never seen a single quote anywhere that said that the dev team wants this to eventually be a totally physics based game, so I don't know where you are getting your information from.

The true step looks really good, when it actually kicks in on a change of direction or special move or what have you. When it doesn't kick in, the running looks very much the same as it does now, save that the players run more upright, which is a definite improvement over the past hunched running.

You keep banging the drums that Nirvana has arrived, and I'll keep using my eyes to understand that, at least in the form it is currently being shown in, the "new" dev team hasn't delivered the Nirvana that you keep guaranteeing that they will.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #16
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Not sure if you've seen this short article LT, but thought I'd pass it around.

Sounds like the full impact of the phyiscs engine will be felt around years 3-4.

It's an interesting read, none the less.

http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/n...ps-4-interview

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »