Home

Would a passing meter help with the passing game.

This is a discussion on Would a passing meter help with the passing game. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2013, 02:01 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: Would a passing meter help with the passing game.

First person view, FTW!!!!!!

It was done before in that "other game"....

Seriously, it really gave you the feeling of playing QB. Like Gene Hackman said in the movie The Replacements: "think fast, move even faster!"
Old 06-26-2013, 03:12 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

a meter would take way to long
Old 06-26-2013, 03:45 AM   #11
Pro

lgxjames's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
What about quick strike throws down the seam 20 yards down the field? Throws that take only a few seconds to develop, but aren't short passes?

What about fade routes?

How would your hypothetical system deal with that situation?

Also, what about short, 3 step drop routes?
Button Modifiers? For instance a fade requires a bit of air, A modifier (LT?) could make the pass more of a "lob" which could still be effected by the throwing power. So a hail mary would use the air modifier and a full throw power meter and the fade could use the modifier and about a quarter of the throw power meter (Pending field position of course)

(I believe the "air" modifier covers most of your examples)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2013, 03:49 AM   #12
Pro

lgxjames's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf2013
a meter would take way to long
If your thinking of the kicking meter maybe...Put for anyone who's played the Gears of War game...I was thinking more the pace of "Active Reload" and if your under much duress that you can't accurately fill the meter to the appropriate throwing power needed it would be more realistic causing more under throws because of pressure, and over throws because you don't have time to accurately size up the throw.

Again I'm not saying this is the perfect idea YET but I think this idea in the hands of professionals could be explored.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #13
MVP

MrSerendipity's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgxjames
I was going back and forth in my head on how the passing game can represent a bit more realism...

What if they used somewhat of the kicking meter without the directional aiming to simulate how far the ball is thrown, Which could lead to more under throws and over throws and also allows the developers to easily implement a way to differentiate throwing power and accuracy.

For instance...If I'm trying to throw to receiver (A) who is running a streak route I would press A and hold it until the meter filled to the most precise range relative to the QBs throwing power, So for instance if I held the A button all the way to the tip of the meter and released it at the perfect point (filled meter) it would represent me throwing the full amount of the QB's throwing power.

In my opinion this would also help with throwing under pressure because you'd be more concerned with getting the pass off which using this method could affect accuracy.

It's not a full thought out implementation but I'm curious if anyone could see this being beneficial?
While some of your complaints are valid, a meter would take entirely too long. Part of the QB game has always been "Release". As you'll hear in Madden 5 Gillion times, "Tony Romo has one of the quickest releases in the history of the NFL". You have to find a way to advance the accuracy difficulty without taking away from the release. Because some Quarterback are able to throw an accurate pass in a split second.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #14
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

To directly answer the OP, no. Like GMS alluded to, the problems with the passing game in Madden go well beyond the control mechanic and mostly have to do with things under the hood, like ratings, the targeting system, the ball being tethered to the receiver/defender, etc. To put it simply, games like 2K football and NFL Fever didn't have passing meters yet they represented the NFL passing game better than Madden does.

I won't go into my usual spiel about how Tiburon thinks because this current team seems to be shifting the paradigm. I will just wait and see what they come up with next year, considering I think WR/DB interaction and the passing system will be the next focus.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #15
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4
I like what the meter suggests: a measure of range of motion.

It *the meter would have to be in sync with the different throwing motions. This part nay be difficult to implement and would be the crux for successful deployment of the feature.

*Every kicker has the same kick mechanic but the meter should move faster or slower for them depending on their accuracy. It should be twitchy sensitive for those who have a low threshold for accuracy.

If EA begins to show advancements in the punt and kick game, I will be more warmed up to them authenticating the pass game. Not that one must precede the other but the punt and kick game would be a less hostile place to begin tweaking and for gaging community feedback.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2013, 11:56 PM   #16
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

I think the only way a meter would work is if it slowed down the game ala Max Payne Bullet Time style. It would still have to be insanely quick as to not ruin immersion more so than necessary, different factors like pressure, type of throw, arm attributes, would cause each throw to be a little different. Maybe you wouldn't need the slowdown and could pull it off like The Show handles throws around the diamond, I dunno.

This would be a radical change but in the long run MAYBE a good one. I would wonder how it would effect another user playing defense.

I would support anything that leads to more realistic passing mechanics in the gameplay (overthrows, throws in the dirt) but a meter would have to be implemented perfectly in order for the community to embrace it or it will go the way of the vision cone

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »