Home

Hopefully, Madden Uses Data Like This

This is a discussion on Hopefully, Madden Uses Data Like This within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #9
MVP

infemous's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Hopefully, Madden Uses Data Like This

Again, this is entirely dependent on Madden devs knowing what each rating and each slider actually does.

When I discovered that Elusiveness is more important than any 'move' when it comes to breaking tackles etc. I felt robbed. I used to always lower my shoulder with Steven Jackson and his 97 TRK and 83 STR, trying to plow through a loaded box, only to see him brought down.

I do a quick flick of the right stick in a loaded box with Steven Grant and see him break 2 tackles and hit daylight for a touchdown. The 'elusive' backs are better at trucking and slipping tackles than the guys with the actual attributes for it.

Until EA rectify this and either remove the elusive rating, or define it and manifest it in a realistic manner, then the game will not be able to work properly.

Likewise, the way that fumbles are more based on the player who is doing the hitting's ability than it is the ball carrier's makes the Carry rating worthless. It doesn't matter if Steven Jackson has 97 truck, 83 strength and 95 carry, because if Patrick Willis is hitting him and he isn't bracing for the hit, that ball is coming out. Meanwhile, I can juke Willis into sliding off my RB with a 60 STR 90 ELU 5,9 185lbs RB...

I am going to continue to implore and request this, but EA, you HAVE to tell us what each rating does and means for each individual position.

If you tell us, we can then edit the rosters to make the game play properly, OR we can give you feedback in ways to address how you not only rate, but how each player plays. We can and are willing to do so because you obviously aren't.

Then we want to know what each slider does too.

This is the LEAST you can do EA. The very least.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by infemous
Until EA rectify this and either remove the elusive rating, or define it and manifest it in a realistic manner, then the game will not be able to work properly.
Absolutely - and I think it should just be gone.

After all, an "elusive" back is one that is good at jukes and spins and stutter steps to throw off pursuit. Then they typically have good explosiveness to gain the most separation from that moment's hesitation by the defender.

It really illustrates the issue with the engine, IE or not. It still can not resolve non-contact situations with the subtlety of the real game. It still doesn't deal with the fraction of a seconds here and there that can make all the difference. Instead, you have to use a "move" and "fake out" half the defense or guys who have no business buying a "fake" but just reaching out and tackling.

IE might make contact situations resolve better, but what about avoidance/absence of contact?

EA has to rely on a crutch like ELU and the move ratings in general instead of letting the HB do his own thing by his own changing of direction and control of his speed and letting AGI and ACC help elusive backs while STR and Size and enough AGI to avoid head-on/direct contact (even AP doesn't just run right into people all the time, he gives them a shoulder to hit, deflects contact just enough to keep his leverage at the advantage, etc) to help power backs.

When I play, I avoid using the "move" buttons both on offense and defense, and it's possible to achieve everything but a spin. Even on pass rushing, the "moves" should be how the defender moves against how the blocker moves with BSH, STR, Size and AGI making the difference for the defender and blocking technique plus the rest for the blocker. Pass rushing got more fun for me once I figured a way to move and "fight" (such that it is) without having to rely on the "move" working or not, especially with my slider for pass rushing - thing is - that's just the way it should work and "moves" should trigger if the player knows them and when the situation plus L-stick movement puts the player in position to use it.

Last edited by KBLover; 07-06-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 11

Great thread as usual, KB. The ratings structure is one of the many things in Madden that need a complete overhaul and a fresh approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeg
In all of the pre release CCM news people like Looman kept saying, "You might see a guy like Kurt Warner come out of retirement. Anything can happen."

He should have said "You will see Kurt Warner come out of retirement. That's about it."
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »