Home

What Sleepers have You Found in NCAA Draft Classes?

This is a discussion on What Sleepers have You Found in NCAA Draft Classes? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-24-2003, 02:44 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 16
What Sleepers have You Found in NCAA Draft Classes?

For me - following the advice of a couple guys on this board - I drafted James Newson from Oregon in the first round of the 2004 draft. Man - he is amazing. In his second season, his speed is 98 and his acceleration 96 - with an overall rating of 85. 10 games into the 2005 season with a rookie QB (Zach Mills - who I would also recommend, since he has good arm strength and accuracy - along with decent speed), Newson has 61 catches, 800 yards and 10 touchdowns. He is almost single-handedly keeping my passing game alive. I have started benching him after the third quarter, since I am terrified that he might get hurt.

Who else has turned out to be awesome from the NCAA draft classes?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2003, 02:48 AM   #2
MVP

Donovan's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: What Sleepers have You Found in NCAA Draft Classes?

Solid CB I had was Janssen Patton out of Bowling Green. He starts off in the lower to mid 70s and you can grab him in the 4th round, hes a solid 3rd CB for a couple years until I start him. I also liked FB Thomas Tapah out of Minnesota, his speed is low 80s and he has solid blocking that only improves, good breaking tackle and carrying.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:10 AM   #3
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13

are you guys finding the draft classes to be a little too good? Also, how is the progression in the NCAA imported players?
Old 12-24-2003, 10:52 PM   #4
MVP

Donovan's Arena

Yah the players are to good, there are never guys in the 50s and the lowest is mid 60s, a couple guys may be a 62 or 63 but usually O linemen and LB. As for progression they usually progress well. even the worst players progress like blue chips
Old 12-25-2003, 12:02 AM   #5
MVP

I am only in my third season of Madden, and the progression has been very reasonable thus far. In my second season - my only rookie who really progressed was Newson - which was because I started him every game and he put up big numbers. The guys who I didn't play barely progressed at all. In my third season - I literally went through my formations and found places to play rookies and back-ups on special teams and various situations - which is at least allowing them to accumulate some stats (pancakes, tackles, etc.).

I like in Madden how players naturally progress before the age of 25, and then start to level off. While I agree that the players all start pretty high, you do have to play guys in order for them to progress. And - once a guy starts getting near 30 - if you're lucky - he will maintain his skills. But - if he starts to falter (or you bench him), his numbers can plummet big time.

One of my back-up guards from last year who never played (and was 29) dropped like 9 points overall - which practically made him an automatic cut for me....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-25-2003, 02:01 AM   #6
MVP

Donovan's Arena

What bothers me about the progression, which is pretty good your right steelrsfan goos points, is that on most teams depth charts they take a raw rookie and play them ahead of some of the vets. Yah youd think thats fine but sometimes you see a 74 overall WR playing ahead of Jimmy Smith whos an 88 or a rookie QB whos a 72 playing over a vet whos an 80 even. I know they want to get rookies in there but it often kills vets and you see there ratings plummet from star quality to low 70s in 2 seasons while the rookies take over completely. It seems a little unrealistic at times.
Old 12-25-2003, 08:22 PM   #7
MVP

I agree - it is totally ridiculous how the computer plays rookies - especially at skill positions - over veterans in the prime of their careers and in the middle of huge contracts. Right now - the Vikings are starting Bryan Randall over Daunte Culpepper in my franchise.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:15 AM   #8
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

OVR: 21

Well, I drafted Quincy Wilson (RB from W. Virginia) in the sixth round, and while he's only a 73 after one season, he averaged over 5 yards a carry as a backup, pretty decent for a rookie.

Oh yeah, and possibly my best late round find was actually in last year's game. I finished a season before too much college or pro ball had been played in real life, and I needed a backup QB. So in the fifth round, I took Kyle Boller of California. I had no clue who he was at the time, but then Brees goes down 2 weeks before the playoffs, and I had cut Flutie to clear cap room in the future. Brees was done until the Super Bowl, and Boller lead the team to the conference championship. I wasn't able to win that one though. Interesting story nonetheless.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »