Home

25 Days of Madden: The Vision Cone

This is a discussion on 25 Days of Madden: The Vision Cone within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #65
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: 25 Days of Madden: The Vision Cone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Glass
Another problem I had with the cone is it represented the QB awareness, if I'm taking control, my aawareness is suppose to. The flashlight then impedes on my awareness and was annoying.

It was a gimmick, because they couldn't get the AI right-tight.lol

Maybe if they brought it back invisible or something, but the casuals wouldn't like it and step on some pockets.
The logic that user awareness should out weigh player awareness is one argument I can understand against the vison cone.

However the user awareness should be that he knows how narrow or wide his qbs cone is, he knows his qbs throw power and accuracy and he uses them accordingly and effectively.

My user awareness should not be able to make Chris Weinke a hall of fame qb lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #66
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreFacTor
You couldn't turn it off on All Madden.
My apologies. I was younger then an still played on all pro. I didn't know it couldn't be turned off on all madden.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #67
MVP

Gorilla Glass's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick589
The logic that user awareness should out weigh player awareness is one argument I can understand against the vison cone.

However the user awareness should be that he knows how narrow or wide his qbs cone is, he knows his qbs throw power and accuracy and he uses them accordingly and effectively.

My user awareness should not be able to make Chris Weinke a hall of fame qb lol
Agreed. That's why awareness of all 10 men should play into the QBs (me) decision making.

The cone was originally an illustration tool used by ESPN. They guessed what the QB saw and guessed why. There is a chance that all QBs see the samething, but just lack confidence to make certain throws. That shouldn't impede on me while I'm at the helm.

The cone was not needed because all of us see the TV screen differently. I can anticipate a play based on years of experience playing Madden. I have my own cone.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #68
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Glass
Agreed. That's why awareness of all 10 men should play into the QBs (me) decision making.

The cone was originally an illustration tool used by ESPN. They guessed what the QB saw and guessed why. There is a chance that all QBs see the samething, but just lack confidence to make certain throws. That shouldn't impede on me while I'm at the helm.

The cone was not needed because all of us see the TV screen differently. I can anticipate a play based on years of experience playing Madden. I have my own cone.
I'm not sure you get what I'm saying.

I think that user and player awareness should be 2 separate entities that come into play simultaneously.

Ex. User awareness is reading defenses, knowing where and when to throw, knowing if your qb is capable of making those throws.

This ties into player ratings by making you use a smaller vision cone for a qb with less awareness. You can still try to make any throw you want but it may be harder. However having good user awareness that I mentioned earlier still makes it easy and possible.

I think the god mode camera view is another reason the cone was needed. No qb not even Peyton and Brady can see every receiver on the field at the same time like we the user can from the god view.

All that being said i respect your opinion of the cone lol.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #69
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20
The cone was a decent idea, but failed in two major ways.

The first was the cone actually backfired and made the opposite of the desired result. It made bad QB's better than good ones. I'll explain how this happened. When a QB had a receiver in his vision, the defense (Safeties) drifted towards the WR. A QB with poor awareness (resulting in as small cone) could stare down a WR drawing the defense to him, say on the left side, and then R2 quick shift his small cone back to the #1 WR on the right for a more open target. QB's with high awareness like Peyton Manning, could not do this as their cone covered the whole field, so he, ironically, could not look off a defender as mentioned.

The second issue with the cone is that the light represents the QB's vision. As you play, you either use the left stick or the R2 button to scan around the field. The issue with that is, that as a user, your eyes are already scanning around the field, looking for an open WR as you play. So you do the progressions with your own real eyes, and then control the QB's virtual eyes to make look at the WR. That results in a double progression, which is a pretty big issue. If they wanted to leave it in as an option as a game mechanic to add a level of difficulty, I would be fine with that, but issue #1 needs to be figured out and fixed.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #70
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

I know different people have different opinions but the notion that anything for most of this gen was about realism, is so unfounded. People keep mentioning how "sim", ie realistic Vision Cone was in 2005, when after looking at Tiburon's whole body of next-gen work, it's evident that realism has never been their target for anything, outside of graphics and rhetoric. The list of these type features is long and consistent throughout this exclusive football gen, so I just don't understand why some skew this into something they want to see come back or as sim.

Yes, I repeat yes, the concept of actual "QB Vision" in football is realistic but this feature wasn't and was likely only loosely based on any real life counterpart, if at all. Looking at just that feature alone, it's easy for anyone to mistakenly conclude that the feature had a sim premise but the implementation was off, I did so myself in the past, however looking at all the features this entire gen for context, shows a much different, clear picture. Same thing with "fight for the fumble" and "throw a receiver open", just to name a couple, if isolated they seem sim intended with implementation that went astray but no, they worked as intended, to maximize User control, not football realism.

I don't expect or necessarily want everyone to despise what Tiburon has done with football video games this gen like I do but I do want people to at least call a spade a spade. Tiburon has admittedly consistently prioritized User control over realism this gen yet some people still give them "sim" credit, where none is due. I don't begrudge anyone for their opinion of the QB Vision feature but it's what I perceive as the blatant mischaracterization of the feature and next-gen Madden as a whole, as even a genuine attempt at "sim", that irks me.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #71
MVP

Gorilla Glass's Arena

OVR: 6

I can't remember the year, maybe Madden 08, but when you played with a bad QB, it was pick city.

I specifically remembering that you had to pass lead more inside and out with passes. What happened with that? Can anybody help me?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #72
Rookie

OVR: 3
I would like to see the next gen madden bring back this feature; where the ps3 eye and xbox1 kinect tracks your eye and the cone moves to where you're looking.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »