Home

Whether you're a ***** or not, I think we can agree, the commentary is very good.

This is a discussion on Whether you're a ***** or not, I think we can agree, the commentary is very good. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Whether you're a ***** or not, I think we can agree, the commentary is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy31
When commentary does the following things I will consider it being good.

Makes Sense - a lot of the time it just doesn't make sense. For example I could be up 30 with a minute to go and the other team scores. The commentary asks how will the team respond yo that score.

Be accurate - I throw a pick 6. On my next possession they talk about me throwing a TD on my last possession.

Include things from earlier in the game (with graphics) and from my season or career

Stop using real life info every year in franchise. It sounds OK year one but lame after that. In my new franchise using updated rosters they talk about Bellichick, Welker, and Hernandez who aren't on my team.

Use players names - self explanatory.
I know they have already said next gen will talk about your career and your season more. I think for current gen, according to Mike Young in the CFM deep dive blog, "commentators will also fill you in on standings, season stats, last week’s game and more.. Mike Young said in a Press Row Podcast that they are trying to get away from the lines about things that happened last year and focus more on what's currently happening in your league.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordtobigbird
The worst thing about the commentary is the pure repetitiveness of it. I don't know how many hours of recording they have but they need to multiply that a few times so we don't know every line after a few games
Anyone like Collinsworth's diagnosis of a broken play on Madden 10? I actually thought that kicked ***
Old 08-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #11
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

Re: Whether you're a ***** or not, I think we can agree, the commentary is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordtobigbird
The worst thing about the commentary is the pure repetitiveness of it. I don't know how many hours of recording they have but they need to multiply that a few times so we don't know every line after a few games
I don't think it's how many hours of recording they did, but rather how lines are played out. I know for Madden 13 alone they recorded 80+ hours of commentary. I know I haven't heard anywhere near 80 hours worth in my time with Madden 13. Maybe it's a memory issue and they are only able to upload ___ amount of lines in the game.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/gamere...#axzz2bnIYYkzW
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

I don't think you have a proper sample size to claim the commentary is better unless you got the game already.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
I know they have already said next gen will talk about your career and your season more. I think for current gen, according to Mike Young in the CFM deep dive blog, "commentators will also fill you in on standings, season stats, last week’s game and more.. Mike Young said in a Press Row Podcast that they are trying to get away from the lines about things that happened last year and focus more on what's currently happening in your league.
I have heard that next gen will, and I hope that it will, but I need to hear it to believe it. They did say the same thing about 13.

As for the your second point, I also hope you're right with that. I had a developer come on here and reply to me (Chase) and he said he liked that the commentators brought up real life things and he thought it added a cool factor.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29

I have no clue what the censored word is in the thread title.

Last edited by Tengo Juego; 08-13-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 2

i would love to buy a madden game and leave commentary on but after like 2 days it gets old same lines or they say stuff that dont make any sense i understand its a game and some things is to much to ask for the game if i trade a key player like a top qb for a below avarage one and he starting a game over a better qb nothing mention

like i had a qb that fumble the ball alot on sacks every time i fumble the same line they would say

i know im not getting madden 25 till next gen and just hope the commentary is better if not ill be turnign it off again lost count how many years in a row i shut off the commentary now
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #16
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

OVR: 0

For me, the "gold standard" of sports commentary is still held by the Show. It needs a little work at present, but the interaction between the various members of the commentary team, the fluidity that points are made with during a game, and the general authenticity of what is said is the best I've heard this gen I think.

One example of this is when I had Cole Hamels batting in San Diego. Their was a line of commentary that said Hamels would be looking to do well as he was back batting in San Diego where he went to High School. Very specific, genuine detail to commentary that makes the whole thing sound authentic. I would imagine a large percentage of players could play MLB and never hear that line of commenraty.

I think that is the kind of level any game should strive to, including Madden. Lots of next gen talk in here, that's always exciting to think about! I think the art of commentary is not describing what is happening during a play, that's a given. It's a level of depth and back story that rings true. Don't just tell me my WR caught a TD, also tell me how he caught a TD like that last week, or last season, or when he was in college, stuff like that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »