Home

Top Rated Defensive Players in Madden NFL 25

This is a discussion on Top Rated Defensive Players in Madden NFL 25 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #49
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildableAuto
Aldon Smith had 19.5 sacks last year, and you think 95 is too high? You're crazy, Aldon is one of the top DE/OLB in a long time.
Good pass rusher - however when Justin Smith's not around he's not nearly the threat, and also not very well rounded either.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #50
MVP

TheKingOfVa's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Top Rated Defensive Players in Madden NFL 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettmickey
Anyone with two eyes would tell you that the NFL top 100 is an absolute joke of player rankings even if players are the ones voting. I would never cite the NFL top 100 in any argument. Anyways back to the discussion regarding where Peterson stands among his fellow corners:

I feel as though DeAngelo Hall is a fair comparison to Patrick Peterson. They have identical play styles and similar tendencies. Both corners trust their elite athleticism to make plays. Sometimes, they come away with an interception or pass break-up. Sometimes, they miss or can't recover. And it isn't a knock on Peterson at all! Hall has 39 career interceptions and is a former pro bowler. Both of them have/had elite athleticism even for NFL standards. Neither of them have the cover ability/ technique of Darrelle Revis or Richard Sherman or Champ Bailey.

As for your argument about Arizona's #2 pass defense, one reason their pass defense is so high is because opponents didn't have to pass on them to succeed. Giving up 137 yards rushing per game (28th in the NFL) allowed teams to keep the ball on the ground and avoid turning the ball over through the air.

I look forward to your reply or anyone else's argument for/against Patrick Peterson.

That point is moot because they had the number 2 overall pass D DVOA, I wasn't going off of pass yards. Read what DVOA is and how it works. It's an advanced metric and accounts for everything.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #51
MVP

TheKingOfVa's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
So dude starts out building his argument around "all the advanced metrics and statistical analysis have Peterson ranked as a top corner" but when a poster immediately mentions Peterson's rank at 18th he shifts his argument to how young Peterson is. Gotta love it.

Homerism is a serious disease and what is worse is that more than half of those inflicted are not aware of their homer status. Get tested and help spread awareness so we can combat this disease plaguing so many.

Read my whole post not just segments. Peterson being ranked 18th in that metric doesn't account for him moving all over the field being assigned to the best wr on the field without great help in the secondary. Corners like Richard Sherman don't have the added responsibility of Revis and Peterson. Sherman only plays one side of the field regardless of the match up. Plus Sherman has the most secondary help in the NFL. If Peterson was allowed to just play one side of the field with elite secondary help then he would be higher in that metric.

Anyone who has played football at the high school, college, or pro level knows that it takes a special player to match up to the top wr all game. If it was easy to do then every corner in the NFL would be doing it. I stated his age so the poster would realize how amazing it is for a corner to be a 2 time pro bowler at age 22. Peterson might have been the first ever to do that. Imagine how good he will be in 5 years when he will only be 27-28.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2013, 12:18 AM   #52
MVP

TheKingOfVa's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batum Shaka Laka
Good pass rusher - however when Justin Smith's not around he's not nearly the threat, and also not very well rounded either.
Once J Smith got hurt, Aldon Smith's sack numbers disappeared. I agree, he shouldn't be rated that high.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:29 AM   #53
MVP

Gorilla Glass's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildableAuto
Aldon Smith had 19.5 sacks last year, and you think 95 is too high? You're crazy, Aldon is one of the top DE/OLB in a long time.
When Smith left he drew double teams, so his numbers settled. He is worthy of a 95. His pursuit should be high as well
Old 08-21-2013, 12:51 AM   #54
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

These players ratings threads are always grade A material. Laughs for days.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:57 AM   #55
Rookie

No Wayy Andre's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriano
Weddle 96?

He is solid, but 96 is Troy Polamalu, Bob Sanders in their
prime type of rating. Solid player but I think 96 is too high
I'm gonna be accused of being a major homer here, but really dude? If you watched any Chargers games in the past 3 years you'd know that not only has he been the best player on the team during that span, he's also one of the best at his job. His instincts are unrivaled at this point in the game. I think anywhere between 94-97 is perfect for Weddle.

So many people haven't recognized what he brings to the table; it's unbelievable. Not that the ridiculous NFL.com Top 100 matters, but it was a travesty that he didn't even crack the list. He has been the lone bright spot on the team and is the leader of that defense.

Sure, Weddle isn't super athletic or anything but he is consistent and seems to be around the ball a lot. He deserves to be one of the best DBs in the game because he certainly needs more recognition.

On another note, Wilkerson seems way too high. I did a double take when I read that he is a 96. I would say 92 tops because he still needs to prove he can be consistent. I like him and understand that 3-4 DEs like him don't get a lot of attention, don't get me wrong, but 96?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #56
Rookie

Bgartz29's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batum Shaka Laka
You're obviously biased. Peterson ranked 18th in coverage on Profootballfocus.com

Coverage has never been his strong suit - his athleticism is his strength - the craft of the position is his weakness without question. DeAngelo Hall is a very fair comparison because if he doesn't work on his craft he'll end up like Hall around Halls age as he'll lose a step in the athleticism. We've already seen Dez beat him like a drum in preseason like Dez does Hall year in and out - a foreshadow perhaps?
Hey now, if I remember correctly I'm pretty sure Hall shut down Dez in the NFC East play-in game last year. :P But yes, for the most part Hall get's burned a lot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »