Home

OS - Press Row Podcast: Episode 37 - Madden NFL 25 Ratings with EA’s Donny Moore

This is a discussion on OS - Press Row Podcast: Episode 37 - Madden NFL 25 Ratings with EA’s Donny Moore within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #41
MVP

Gorilla Glass's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: OS - Press Row Podcast: Episode 37 - Madden NFL 25 Ratings with EA’s Donny Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdm27
Wins is not exactly the best method to rate a player..... Megatron should have been a 75OVR by that standard. L.Fitz should be quite low too.

And if the point is that wins/losses are usually attached to QB's... just because some people still use that as an argument, it doesn't make it right... muuuuuch more should go into accounting for ovr than w-l record.

That being said, 82 is way too high for CP..... In general, every player is rated too high in Madden.
To my points. Donny is inconsistent. He rewards guy for certain things (wins) and other times he don't.

What's the method to his madness because his body of work is, has been very inconsistent and I don't see it changing.

What are you you using as a guage to the conclusion that everybody is overrated?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #42
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
Re: OS - Press Row Podcast: Episode 37 - Madden NFL 25 Ratings with EA’s Donny Moore

Bigger issue for me is that Donny Moore is only concerned with overalls. So in order to achieve these mythical numbers (that only kids should really care about) he tweaks other ratings that actually effect game play (because remember folks overalls don't effect anything game play related). Since I've seen RGIII used I will use him as my example.

Simply put can anyone offer an explanation as to why Griffin's play action rating is 76 and Kirk Cousins' rating is 86? Not one that is based off what we saw on the field at least. Or why Kirk Cousins (who is more mobile that Sexy Rexy) has the same throw on the run rating as Grossman? Grossman can't actually throw on the run at all. Lastly how on earth does Rex Grossman have a higher awareness rating than Both Griffin and Cousins. Whatever "logic" Donny Moore uses for these ratings is flawed, because all he is really trying to do it get his overalls in line with his personal opinion about these players and teams.

Bottom line the only way the ratings get better is if EA scraps the overall rating completely. Go with a letter grade or something for that.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 08-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #43
MVP

friscob's Arena

OVR: 8

Think the ovr rating only comes into play on the CPU depth chart positioning and for draft ranking purposes. Other than that it's just a thing for NFL players to feel proud about as if it's some sort of honor and NFL fans to argue about b/c their favorite player is being disrespected

Think franchise and Dynasty modes would be a lot more interesting w/out ovr ratings. You would just have to evaluate each individual skill rating to decide if they're a good fit for your team.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #44
MVP

Gorilla Glass's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
Bigger issue for me is that Donny Moore is only concerned with overalls. So in order to achieve these mythical numbers (that only kids should really care about) he tweaks other ratings that actually effect game play (because remember folks overalls don't effect anything game play related). Since I've seen RGIII used I will use him as my example.

Simply put can anyone offer an explanation as to why Griffin's play action rating is 76 and Kirk Cousins' rating is 86? Not one that is based off what we saw on the field at least. Or why Kirk Cousins (who is more mobile that Sexy Rexy) has the same throw on the run rating as Grossman? Grossman can't actually throw on the run at all. Lastly how on earth does Rex Grossman have a higher awareness rating than Both Griffin and Cousins. Whatever "logic" Donny Moore uses for these ratings is flawed, because all he is really trying to do it get his overalls in line with his personal opinion about these players and teams.

Bottom line the only way the ratings get better is if EA scraps the overall rating completely. Go with a letter grade or something for that.
And this is what I'm talking about right here...

This really confuses me. There were games were RG3 wasn't given ANY increase in ratings, while other rookies got increases for doing less. I don't get it.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #45
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscob
Think franchise and Dynasty modes would be a lot more interesting w/out ovr ratings. You would just have to evaluate each individual skill rating to decide if they're a good fit for your team.
Could not agree more with this. I know that in the better madden leagues no one really used them or even posts about them in trade block threads.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob

Completely agree. This year Flacco's THP is 98, last year it was 96. Did his arm get stronger in the past year? No, Donny just had to adjust ratings to manipulate overalls. This should make it rather obvious that the rating system is flawed
Old 08-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #47
MVP

friscob's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Completely agree. This year Flacco's THP is 98, last year it was 96. Did his arm get stronger in the past year? No, Donny just had to adjust ratings to manipulate overalls. This should make it rather obvious that the rating system is flawed
Everything run by humans is flawed.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #48
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscob
Everything run by humans is flawed.
While I love philosophy more than any sane man should, you know what I meant.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »