Home

How will Madden 25's Draft work with imported rosters from NCAA '14?

This is a discussion on How will Madden 25's Draft work with imported rosters from NCAA '14? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
Rookie

Hokie200proof's Arena

OVR: 4
How will Madden 25's Draft work with imported rosters from NCAA '14?

I started writing the background of my question and realized I hadn't gotten to the point and was on my fourth paragraph, so here it is...

TL;DR - How will Madden 25's Draft/Scouting work for imported rosters? I know that there were fictionalized draft classes that were made specifically for Madden '13, which then fed all of the Scouting and Draft-Day features. How will this be adapted to Madden 25?

Where I'm coming from...
I haven't bought a Madden title since 2009 when it came with Head Coach, and I was completely let down by the actual Madden end of that deal. I was pretty pissed off they were two different games to begin with (WhyTF wasn't HC part of Madden already? Why not add all of the HC features into the game you've already built?), but HC turned out to be one of my favorite sports games of all time. I've played HC for years, even as recently as a month ago, and it's still fun. There's no effing way I could pick up Madden/NCAA/NHL '09 and say the same. In the end, those games just don't have the depth or replayability (new word) that HC had. No Madden Franchise mode could ever match HC... until '13 when it looked like they were finally going to bring the two together...

Gearing up for Madden '13 I was hearing about...
  • Free Agency redone to be a bidding system (sounded familiar)
  • Revamped Draft Interface (sweet...)
  • New Scouting System (could it be???)

Hearing these additions made me think 2013 was finally going to take all that worked about the old HC game, and updated and add it to what's already the most popular and widely played football video game. I was really excited to get it...

Then they announced you wouldn't be able to import rosters from NCAA '13.

Noooooooooooooo... WHY?

Game over. Deal breaker. I'm a much bigger college fan than pro fan. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge pro fan and I love my Redskins, but I'm a Hokie cultist. If the Skins lose a game... well, they do that a lot, not a huge deal and in the NFL, one game does not a season make. When the Hokies lose their first game, it's effing Armageddon. Season = done. No chance for an NC, we might be able to win the Conference but, even if we do, so what? We get to go a BCS bowl and play a very expensive exhibition game. Huzzah. Don't get me wrong (again), it's all fun and I'll watch every game (even when we have a flaming turd of season like we did last year), but every college football fan dies a little with that first loss, as winning the NC, as impossible as that dream is considering you're competing against 130+ teams (in theory), is what it is all about.

Right... back on subject. I just couldn't get a Madden title without being able to import my draft-ready Hokies from NCAA. So, I didn't look at the game again after hearing that. This year it's back, so I've begun watching some Madden '13 LP's (which is somewhat amazing that those even exist) to see what the latest version of the game looks like, and I was amazed by the updates to Franchise Mode, especially the Draft Interface. It looks so much like the old HC, but so much more improved. I was somewhat pissed off I didn't at least try Madden '13. But, the more I've watched, the more I've realized, it might be impossible to replicate a lot of the cool parts of the revamped Scouting/Draft into a Madden where you can import rosters. How is Skip Bayliss (who is a colossal chode) going to mean-tweet your last draft pick if there isn't a specific script written for that when you draft a certain pre-fab player? How are the talking heads going to talk about a prospect/player/draftee that wasn't baked-in like it was last year? How is all of this going to work? It's my biggest concern, but the source of my greatest excitement about Madden 25.

TL;DR #2 - I was a huge Head Coach fan from '09, getting back into Madden, concerned about how the revamped Franchise Mode (with the new Scouting/Drafting pieces) will work with an imported roster and not the pre-fabbed ones from Madden '13

Anyone have any insights as to how these features will come together?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
MVP

ZoneKIller's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: How will Madden 25's Draft work with imported rosters from NCAA '14?

Nice thread starter, first off.

With my experience in Madden 13, the only audio on players from the draft were the players in the news. Those players were basically predetermined by the devs to be the studs or busts from the draft, but their storylines changed from time to time. Other players in the draft didn't have commentary during the draft, but some where still studs. Those players without story-lines (no draft commentary) would get tweets usually based off the teams needs and sometimes based off that players overall ratings. For example; If I had a young 90+ QB and drafted another qb that I didnt have a roster spot for, but there was a good player still in the draft that I actually needed for a spot, I'd get bad tweets like (Don't understand that pick) On the other hand if I did a good pick, I'd get good tweets like (Good pick by Dallas) sorry , I'm a Cowboys fan

What I have read for Madden 25 is this, The imported players from NCAA will not have story-lines. So my guess is there will be no commentary for the imported drafts like there is for the generated players, but the tweets will most likely be by your team's performance during the draft.

This is my educated guess, but who knows till the game comes out. I'm getting the game friday hopefully if it d/ls in time, I'm a huge fan of the imported drafts with my Tarheels. If you are not getting it Friday, send me a message and remind me about this. I'll let you know in advance before Tuesday's release if my guess is correct.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0

Not sure if this is relevant or not but I just heard that players that went "undrafted" in your NCAA dynasty can still be draftable
Old 08-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

If i remember correctly, in M12 when you did a NCAA Draft Class it seemed that all the high rated players were in round 1 and they went down as you went through the draft. So no real busts in round 1 or 2. Please correct me if i am wrong on that.

What i would like to know, is when you import a draft class this year, are things going to be more random, where you will get a bust with a 1st round grade and get a stud with a 4th or 5th round grade.

if someone knows the answer to that already or when they get the game tomorrow could post that would be awesome.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
Rookie

wtd03's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSeahavvks
Not sure if this is relevant or not but I just heard that players that went "undrafted" in your NCAA dynasty can still be draftable
Hopefully this is true. Where did you hear this
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSeahavvks
I assumed that was true. Every draft needs undrafted people.

I had a QB who won the Heisman, but he was clearly that type of great college QB that wouldn't succeed at the next level (weak arm, not great accuracy).

He went undrafted, but I was hoping to at least have the option in Madden.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtd03
Hopefully this is true. Where did you hear this
http://www.reddit.com/r/Madden/comme...draft_classes/
Old 08-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
Rookie

Hokie200proof's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneKIller
Nice thread starter, first off.

With my experience in Madden 13, the only audio on players from the draft were the players in the news. Those players were basically predetermined by the devs to be the studs or busts from the draft, but their storylines changed from time to time. Other players in the draft didn't have commentary during the draft, but some where still studs. Those players without story-lines (no draft commentary) would get tweets usually based off the teams needs and sometimes based off that players overall ratings. For example; If I had a young 90+ QB and drafted another qb that I didnt have a roster spot for, but there was a good player still in the draft that I actually needed for a spot, I'd get bad tweets like (Don't understand that pick) On the other hand if I did a good pick, I'd get good tweets like (Good pick by Dallas) sorry , I'm a Cowboys fan

What I have read for Madden 25 is this, The imported players from NCAA will not have story-lines. So my guess is there will be no commentary for the imported drafts like there is for the generated players, but the tweets will most likely be by your team's performance during the draft.

This is my educated guess, but who knows till the game comes out. I'm getting the game friday hopefully if it d/ls in time, I'm a huge fan of the imported drafts with my Tarheels. If you are not getting it Friday, send me a message and remind me about this. I'll let you know in advance before Tuesday's release if my guess is correct.
Good lord, you and I are swore enemies (Redskins/Hokies vs. Cowboys/Tarheels)...

But thanks for the response, a lot of good information and I'd love to see how this is all going to play out. I was going to do the early release deal, but opted for the Amazon.com game+NFL Sunday ticket deal (I travel a lot and I want to be able to watch games on my laptop when I'm overseas or in transit).

That said, your explanation begs another question - how will potential be determined for players in an imported draft? How will Madden 25 logic determine which players in your exported file are "studs" or "busts"? With the pre-fab lists, the devs baked all of that in and created guys who would always be around in the 4th-7th round who would become a 99 overall in two/three years. Was there a potential rating for each player like there is in NHL and other titles (A, B, C, etc)? I thought I saw an LP where it was a preseason cut-day and the players all had letter-grade potential ratings.

The answer to that could be a huge deal, say for example Johnny Football is a 99 in NCAA '14, but the Madden 25 Draft logic just up and decides he should be a bust, there would be no reason for that, just dumb luck... I would see many restarts in my future. I know that sort of thing happens all the time in real life, and the pre-made draft lists were a way to simulate that, but that could really, really suck for a couple of Hokies I'd want to draft in coming years.

Also, I'm imagining that Scouting the final overall ratings in NCAA '14 would essentially be scouting the draft, but I find it hard to believe that doing so would give you a perfect preview of all 7 rounds (of course, team needs and current rosters will effect draft choices). I haven't confirmed for NCAA '14, but I know this was the case in previous years, there are typically multiple 99 overall rated players at the end of each season, thus multiple maxed rated players in each exported draft class. What determines what their Madden overall would be? How do they get nerfed before they go pro? And which ones don't? Like RGIII and Andrew Luck who were probably 99's in NCAA '13 (didn't play it), and lived up to the hype in their rookie years, what should they be rated? I'd guess not 99 right away, but the path to 99 shouldn't take too long.

I should probably check out how player progression was done in Madden 13 before I ask anything else (assuming it will be something close to the same model in 25).

Thanks again for responding and I'd very much appreciate any updates from your pre-release findings.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »