Home

3-4 defense?

This is a discussion on 3-4 defense? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #25
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: 3-4 defense?

I only play online or quick games against the cpu and the 3-4 sucks against the run. The outside edge is open every time, off tackle or middle run then cut to the outside kills this defense can't use it online. I use the 4-3 multiple defense or the Cincinnati Bengals defense.

Last edited by ghettogeeksta; 08-29-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2013, 11:57 PM   #26
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

3-4 in Madden doesn't play like the3-4 in real life, but you can do well with it. I used to prefer the 3-4 for along time, but as I have gotten older I have grown to prefer the 4-3 more and more. There was a really good transcript by Monte Kiffen where he talks about why he prefers the 4-3 and I have to agree. In summery, one gap responsibility is mucheasier to teach and is far more consistent than 2 gap assignments. Seeing how in real life I am coaching guys who are not elite athletes, I need to work with the talent we have and the 4-3 is a system that is easier to teach and execute.

I really can't understand, even after asking them in person, why EA doesn't give the 3-4 any love.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:41 AM   #27
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

I use the Ravens and the 3-4 works well enough for me.

In week 4 Suggs has 4 sacks, Doom has 2 and in my most recent game Ngata (who I moved to NT) had 8 tackles which is too high in my opinion. When he bull rushes he single-handedly collapses the pocket.

Against the run it holds its own. I give up more yards than I would like but that is primarily due to having two pass rushers at OLB and a unproven rookie at ILB.

If you are having a hard time stopping the run with a 3-4 stop calling man defense. Zone blitzes are your friend.

Last edited by ggsimmonds; 08-30-2013 at 12:58 AM. Reason: it is two hard too remember which to two use
Old 08-30-2013, 12:42 AM   #28
MVP

redsfan4life's Arena

OVR: 16

The 3-4 with the Browns works great against the run. It seems power rushers get to the QB much more..I get alot of pressure with Kruger (cpu controlled). I definitely think power rushers work better in Madden than do speed rushers.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:47 AM   #29
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
3-4 in Madden doesn't play like the3-4 in real life, but you can do well with it. I used to prefer the 3-4 for along time, but as I have gotten older I have grown to prefer the 4-3 more and more. There was a really good transcript by Monte Kiffen where he talks about why he prefers the 4-3 and I have to agree. In summery, one gap responsibility is mucheasier to teach and is far more consistent than 2 gap assignments. Seeing how in real life I am coaching guys who are not elite athletes, I need to work with the talent we have and the 4-3 is a system that is easier to teach and execute.

I really can't understand, even after asking them in person, why EA doesn't give the 3-4 any love.
But many of the so called 3-4 teams don't run true 3-4 schemes. Many of them have their linemen run 1 gap assignments.
Often the difference between a 3-4 and 4-3 is just a technicality to describe whether the end rusher is in a 2 point stance or a 3 point stance.
3-4 normal is a true 3-4, but predator is not. More and more teams are using the hybrid defense.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:50 AM   #30
Pro

nwfdwill's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thbends
I always use the Multi Defense playbook so I can mix it up no matter what team I'm using.

This season I'll give the 4-3 a try because of the Cowboys switch but I'm sure I'll probably go back to Multi D.
I was curious about that defense. What are the formation options for it? I was thinking of switching to it because I do like changing up my looks.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-30-2013, 02:01 AM   #31
Pro

OVR: 8

3-4 D work pretty good in this game. Way better then last year.
First thing I do starting a franchise change to a 3-4D
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2013, 02:31 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 2

The 3-4 is nothing compared to the 4-3 in Madden, you're just not gonna be able to generate pressure in comparison, it's always been that way.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »