Home

It's time for adaptive, intuitive, situational AI play calling

This is a discussion on It's time for adaptive, intuitive, situational AI play calling within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13
Cool It's time for adaptive, intuitive, situational AI play calling

IMHO, this is the big thin EA should focus on for NextGen. They've had a variety of "new" engines designed to replicate real time physics(most efforts have failed-animations are still scripted), they've improved OL/DL play a little, passing control has improved the past few years, there's been slight improvements in roster/team management AI, etc. While Madden still has some glaring flaws, most areas of the game have improved at least somewhat over the course of the 360/PS3 generation.

NextGen should be all about instincts and strategy AI. I just loaded up a game on default All madden and did the same thing I do every year--see what i can do every time vs the CPU. Played a game where I ran nothing but I-Form stretch play every down. Won easily. Played a game where I ran I-Form slants every down. Won easily. Out routes? Automatic. Hitch/Curl? Automatic. Deep outside come backs? Automatic.

It isn't that the players themselves can't defend these routes. They can. IF the CPU calls the right play which it rarely does. High AWR players should start baiting me into throwing these comfortable routes after time. They should jump routes. They should jump gaps and running lanes.

On offense the AI should notice that I'm playing man cover 0 all game (both FS and SS set to hook zones) and beat me deep. Or that I'm playing cover 3 every down. The AI should make me think.

IMO, this is the next step forward for Madden. The AI needs to learn, adapt, anticipate, and play/exploit basic situational football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: It's time for adaptive, intuitive, situational AI play calling

While I completely agree with the op and have been a strong advocate for adaptive AI, we have to consider the alternate universe that Madden evidently exists in. There have been numerous discussions about adaptive AI surrounding Madden and the overwhelming reason against it is that it is seen by Tiburon and their supporters as the game playing itself.

Doesn't matter how ridiculous any number of us personally believe that notion is or that other games have and continue to embrace adaptive AI, this is Madden, made by Tiburon we are talking about. They seem to pride themselves on doing things their way and they have a cult like following that will support almost anything they choose to do, as long as the game remains "Madden", not to mention they have the rest of us bent over a barrel with the NFL exclusive.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

It's becoming more apparent that being that they consider themselves having a high quality product that they don't want to apply anything but tweaks to what exists due to the reasoning that they may 'break' something and don't want to take the risk.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Banned

TheBuddyHobbs's Arena

OVR: 1

It's been 8 years and we are still waiting for this... *sigh*
Old 08-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 25

WILL NEVER SEE THAT..... Why? Because 90% of maddens audience is casual arcade football gamers..,. NOT football fans. They want no penalties and 45-42 scores every single game.

We the sim crowd make up maybe 8-10% if that. Who do u think they listen to or care about? 90%.... Or the worthless 10%?

As long as there is exclusivity, we are never gonna get a great product that caters to both like NBA2K and THE SHOW.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

Maybe next gen, the are touting human like a.i. with this Ignite engine, let's hope it lives up to the hype.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13
Cool Re: It's time for adaptive, intuitive, situational AI play calling

I agree with all of your comments, I appreciate them, and I dispute nothing that has been said.

Having said that, I would like to see us push this via the GameChangers (I know, I know--that's a different thread and topic) and in any threads where a dev asks about changes for next year. As I progress through my CFM season, the CPU should essentially have "game film" on me. Leading WR, leading rusher, 3rd down consistencies, 1st down consistencies, etc--on both sides of the ball. Needing a stop vs 3rd & short, I tend to all out blitz. The CPU QB, if AWR enough, should have a sight adjustment that allows him to audible to a deep route vs man cover 0.

I wouldn't want this done via "hidden" player AI boosts--that's the cheap way out. That's typical Madden "innovativeness". If my drafted QB is a P Manning type and I dominate the division 2-3 years then my divisional opponents should start drafting and building stud CBs and a great DL. If I've got AP back there logging 2000 yards a season then teams should build to counter that. Keep the franchise dynamic throughout the season and from year to year.

I'm not talking specific player AI...I'm OK to bring that along slower...but play calling/coaching AI, and GM AI should be taking big steps forward on NextGen. This would not complicate on the field player involvement. Coordinators could/would heavily affect this as well.

This is my personal NextGen hope for Madden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide
Old 08-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Sure, because we don't see enough people complaining that the AI knows their play. And lets not kid ourselves, half of OS members would equate adaptive AI with AI cheating.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »