Home

Why does the player's overall rating change when I start my career?

This is a discussion on Why does the player's overall rating change when I start my career? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #33
MVP

Gorilla Glass's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Why does the player's overall rating change when I start my career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulChildres
Just found a big one! Play now Barry Cofield DT (84) but in franchise mode he is a 64.

His scheme is a Base 3-4 and Washingtons defense scheme is Attacking 3-4... his rating shouldn't be that far off from his Play now rating. In fact this year in the Skins defense he'll prob be top 5 NT in the league in the Redskins DEFENSIVE scheme.
I think I changed his ratings by going into scheme and changing my NT settings. He's rated 82 in my Online CCM
Old 08-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #34
Rookie

brettmickey's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
This is incorrect.

A player's core ratings - Speed, Acceleration, Catching, Tackling, Pass Block Footwork, Hit Power, etc. - are not changed upon starting a Connected Franchise.

The only thing that changes is how the OVR rating is calculated. The OVR is a weighted average which provides an at-a-glance look at the player's skill set and determines a 0-99 grade based on the important ratings for his position. Speed matters more for a wide receiver than a fullback, for example, so a higher Speed rating will have a greater effect on a WR's OVR rating than a FB's OVR rating.

How Connected Franchise changes the OVR rating is that it modifies how heavily different skills are valued based on chosen player scheme. For example, the Cowboys value Cover 2 OLBs this year. As such, the OVR rating calculation will place more emphasis on the Zone Coverage, Press, Speed, and Play Recognition ratings, and less value will be placed on pass rushing skills such as Power Move, Finesse Move, and Block Shedding. The effect is that pass-rushing OLBs tend to receive a lower OVR grade than OLBs with better coverage skills. In essence, the scheme-based OVR is solely intended to be a team-building aid based on how a user prefers to build a football team.

Finally, the OVR rating has zero effect on gameplay, regardless how it is calculated.
For some reason my CFM isn't working like this. No matter what I change my positional schemes to, my player overalls are NOT changing. For example, whether it's a 3-4 run stopping DE scheme or speed rusher scheme, my DEs overalls are NOT effected. Any idea why this could be? Feedback from anyone would be appreciated.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulChildres
Just found a big one! Play now Barry Cofield DT (84) but in franchise mode he is a 64.

His scheme is a Base 3-4 and Washingtons defense scheme is Attacking 3-4... his rating shouldn't be that far off from his Play now rating. In fact this year in the Skins defense he'll prob be top 5 NT in the league in the Redskins DEFENSIVE scheme.
This is incorrect! The reason Barry Cofield is rated low in an attacking 3-4 is because his player type is a run stuffer. You have to look at player types as well as position and size guys! I.E. the wide receiver position has possession, speed, red zone threat etc. An attacking 3-4 wants to incorporate a pass rushing DT. I would think that Jay Ratliff would be a good fit. You guys are missing the point. DO NOT LOOK AT overalls!!!! Berry Cofield is still an 82 in the game and will probably do just fine for the redskins if you continue to start him. Everyone complains that the franchise mode was stale for years and that the computer teams weren't using smart logic in team building. Well now they gave us a way to actually be GM's and make you think about the moves you make and everyone is up in arms.

I will put this in laymans for everyone and use Berry Cofield as an example. Berry Cofield is an 82 in the game. He has all of the attributes that make a player an 82 and there is nothing that is going to change that in CCM except for age. Play him as you normally would. Even if his overall rating in CCM is 64 he will still play like an 82 because his core attributes are that of an 82 overall player. When I decide my starting nose tackle in a 3-4 I do not even look at overall. I weigh strength, power moves, and block shedding as my main deciding factors, because these are the attributes that are going to make my nose tackle make some plays in this scheme.

Last edited by Caliboy626; 08-28-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #36
Banned

OVR: 1

It seems like this is a bigger issue than we expected. They need to get rid of these schemes, or at least have a column for their original OVR ratings, and one column for adjusted to schemes. I'm tired of not ever knowing how good or bad my players actually are.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #37
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettmickey
For some reason my CFM isn't working like this. No matter what I change my positional schemes to, my player overalls are NOT changing. For example, whether it's a 3-4 run stopping DE scheme or speed rusher scheme, my DEs overalls are NOT effected. Any idea why this could be? Feedback from anyone would be appreciated.
This is to keep people from exploiting the system and building a super team with sub par players, and I personally like this.

Example: My team runs an attacking 4-3 where 4-3 speed rusher ends are the preferred player type. I draft 3-4 run stopping end and change my coaches preference to 3-4 Run stopping end even though my coaches scheme requires the prior type. My defensive end whos rating was a 73 is now an 85 making it look like I have built this really good team when I have not. Coaches have a core preference per position relative to there scheme that is coded into the game. If you do not like your coaches scheme fire him and bring in someone who fits your player types, or go out and find the personell to make your coaches scheme work. I do not care if my starting players overall is a 59. If his production rating is in the 90's all season I am going to keep starting him because he is tearing it up!!!
Old 08-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #38
Rookie

hogtradition22's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruffyMcGuiness
Falcons are 86 in play now but 80 when I started my CCM...

If you are still in the preseason it has to do with all the scrubs that are on your team. Cut them and it will raise,
Old 08-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #39
Rookie

brettmickey's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliboy626
This is to keep people from exploiting the system and building a super team with sub par players, and I personally like this.

Example: My team runs an attacking 4-3 where 4-3 speed rusher ends are the preferred player type. I draft 3-4 run stopping end and change my coaches preference to 3-4 Run stopping end even though my coaches scheme requires the prior type. My defensive end whos rating was a 73 is now an 85 making it look like I have built this really good team when I have not. Coaches have a core preference per position relative to there scheme that is coded into the game. If you do not like your coaches scheme fire him and bring in someone who fits your player types, or go out and find the personell to make your coaches scheme work. I do not care if my starting players overall is a 59. If his production rating is in the 90's all season I am going to keep starting him because he is tearing it up!!!
This makes no sense. You wouldn't be building a "super team" when scheme doesn't change ANY ratings besides overall. It doesn't change awareness, block shedding, tackling, anything. All it changes is overall. You can't build a "super team" with DEs who have 40 block shedding and pass rush moves even if the overall says they are in the 80's.

To further explain my issue, Kyle Williams is an 89 overall 3-4 DE in Madden (I think it's 89 or 91, can't remember at the moment). When I start a CFM, his overall plummets to a 60. No matter what position scheme I choose (3-4 versatile, speed rusher, 4-3 pass rusher) his overall stays at a 60. This makes absolutely no sense. Kyle Williams would make a much better 3-4 versatile DE rather than a speed rushing DE. If I wanted DE's in my coach's scheme to be speed rushers, I would understand him being a 60. But 3-4 versatile fits him perfectly and he is still a 60. This is the issue I'm having.

Last edited by brettmickey; 08-28-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #40
Banned

The number one reason why schemes shouldnt exist is because it screws up the CPU's roster management. Its bad to begin with and schemes just adds to it. Play a game in CFM with just your team against the CPU and check the CPU's depth chart IN GAME. You'll see players that should be starters be backups and fourth stringers being starters. Seriously, there should have been an on/off option for schemes. That way, everyone wins.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »