Home

Practice mode will ruin your franchise

This is a discussion on Practice mode will ruin your franchise within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Practice mode will ruin your franchise

If regression works properly this should (hopefully) balance nicely. Things like awareness, route running, play recognition and other learned skills should steadily increase as long as a player is on a roster in the league. On the other hand natural skills should rise quickly then degrade over time while physical abilities should start at their peak, stay there for a few years then drop rapidly.
Last year the cost of upgrades roughly reflected this but there wasn't enough XP to account for steady increases in areas like awareness that players should naturally gain. Then on the other end older players weren't regressing. What this meant was that the top players who could get tons of XP stayed at the top and got better and nobody else could crack a starting lineup. So like I said if both are improved they should balance nicely.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 5

I have noticed this issue as well. I have developed a 55 overall rookie just drafted to some decent ratings where he actually started for a year. I have noticed that the cost of upgrading ratings gets very high as the years go on. Further, the players ratings go down from year to year because of age so I do not really see an issue. I have a desire to test this out further though.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:59 PM   #27
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianU
Tweets from @Josh_looman about this from another dude:

@Josh_Looman Hey Josh, just curious. Thought process on 2k XP/week for the whole team in practice? Seems like low-end XP costs scaled down

@Josh_Looman (cont.) from last year so 70 OVR guys all progress insanely fast if you do a practice each week.

@Josh_Looman Love the idea of more guys breaking out but don't necessarily want my whole team rated between 84 and 94 OVR.

@TheMattRoberts We definitely wanted to give everybody the ability to develp young players and backups since practice is a grind.

@TheMattRoberts Once those ratings get into the 80s, they'll be much harder to progress. The feedback we got last year was not enough XP.

@Josh_Looman Gotcha. I hope you look at tweaking XP costs up a bit at lower values though. Practice can take all of 5 minutes and get

@Josh_Looman ... more xp than playing a full game. One practice and bumping up zone coverage 5 points afterward seems a bit much IMO.

@TheMattRoberts The main feedback we got was that players should develop more from practice than games. I worked with the comm. guys on XP.

@Josh_Looman Just providing feedback though. I just like to see one guy breaking out rather than all my 70ish rated guys over 80 in one year

@TheMattRoberts Got it. great feedback!
You switched their tweets though. Looman said what you said Matt Roberts said.

Looman and his deflecting of weird things in this game do nothing for me.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #28
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

After playing for a few days, I've noticed that higher rated (and older) players won't respond as well to the practice XP. 2000 points basically improves nothing substantial for higher-tier players, so I'm thinking that a combination of age, weekly goals and upgrade costs won't mean anything to higher tiered players.

On the other hand, rebuilding a young team may still lead to some overpowered outcomes, especially if you manually update a player's development rating to "Quick" or "Superstar".

Another outcome to consider: The Bills, who I am playing with at the moment, have younger, lower-rated players in key positions. Those guys, with enough playing time and practice, are seeing large increases in OVR and physical ratings, but not all of them. Robert Woods and Marquise Goodwin have improved 8 OVR in one season, from approximately 70/71 OVR to 78/79. On the other hand, those players see the field the most on that offense. Chris Hogan, who started my Connected Franchise rated 68, has only improved to a 71. He's older and sees less of the field but tends to perform when he plays. On the other hand, Marcus Easley, another young player buried on the depth chart, hasn't improved in OVR at all, staying at around a 65 since he's been on the bench all year.

At this stage I'm not sure how ridiculously overpowered teams will become, but I'm seeing fairly OK results so far considering how the aforementioned young guys have played in those spots. A few backups, like Zebrie Sanders and Duke Williams, have emerged into starting caliber players, but otherwise it's pretty much as expected. Mario and Kyle Williams have steadily dropped in OVR despite being around the top of the league in sacks and tackles, respectively.

Will report back if anything strange takes place during my rental period.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:23 AM   #29
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Gro23
Can we get someone going into CFM and increasing players and seeing how much players jump from year to year. I honestly dont think it is an unrealistic problem. It'll take 2 seasons every practice played & succeeded to get 84k XP.

That being said most attributes once they hit 84+ become nearly 20,000 & much more XP to upgrade, like upgrading a WR/RB speed once he is in 90's is like 75k XP atleast, so if it takes a guy 2 seasons to notch his speed 1-2 clicks, that is fine IMO. I also am not biased against a guy adding +10 catching in a season or whatever because they aren't going to keep growing rapidly with longevity.

Ill stand corrected when players are really getting out of hand but I see nothing wrong with EA's choice to let players improve quicker. Think of Terrelle Pryor or Russell Wilson as weak but real examples. Or Brian Hartlines breakout stretch. Heck get a little gutsy and say a name like hometown Cecil Shorts! The guy bust his hump day in day out in Practice (Rookie season he has 2 catches for 30yds 1TD) Next year he comes to camp with alot still to prove, Jags have WR dilemmna & injuries and Cecil took off improved weekly became the Jags Best WR option next to newly drafted Justin Blackmon & Ace "Shake n Bake" Sanders.

Guys game can come into zone and improve, now Ik you think all these guys getting xp will just make them become elite they might but the CPU spreads out progression throughout attributes and traits & Consistency/Confidence. There are plenty of spending options. But Guys growing into players and producing is rapid (depending on their development trait (Regular, Quick, Superstar)
You're telling me a team with the lowest player on a roster being an 80 ovr isn't concerning to you?
Old 08-29-2013, 02:37 AM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight
If people hadn't complained about backups not getting XP from games and practices last year, this wouldn't have been the way it is in M25.

Before I get criticized for what I just said, let me explain that EA also could have handled it a lot differently than the global 1000-2000 XP boost per practice. They promised (in PR pieces, mind you) that regression and age factor into practice's effectiveness. If this is the best way to handle the "backup progression" problem, then the final game must make good on the developer's philosophy.

Then again, I won't be surprised if everyone's left with a stacked roster after 5-10 seasons. As far as this series is concerned, the promises of the past aren't always kept.
You have to realize that everyone has the same playing field and with a cap you cannot stack players
Old 08-29-2013, 03:07 AM   #31
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachlem
You have to realize that everyone has the same playing field and with a cap you cannot stack players
And you have to realize

1. not every team will be user controlled. So lets say you have a online chise with 10 user controlled teams. That means 10 teams get these boosts while computer teams do not (I could be wrong on that, but I am fairly positive computer teams do not practice). What does that mean? That means the 10 user controlled teams have the powerhouse teams while the computers do not. Every game against CPU teams would be too easy

2. the cap doesn't matter when you have rookies locked into a 4 year contract after you draft them. Stack up on picks, draft players, practice. By year 2 they could all be starting caliber and you still have them for 3 years. Rinse and repeat and you have a revolving door of a powerhouse team.

Now, maybe I am wrong. Maybe the computer does in fact get the same practice points as a human controlled player and regression works correctly and it all works out swimmingly. But with EAs track record I am not holding my breath on that
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2013, 03:55 AM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP
And you have to realize

1. not every team will be user controlled. So lets say you have a online chise with 10 user controlled teams. That means 10 teams get these boosts while computer teams do not (I could be wrong on that, but I am fairly positive computer teams do not practice). What does that mean? That means the 10 user controlled teams have the powerhouse teams while the computers do not. Every game against CPU teams would be too easy

2. the cap doesn't matter when you have rookies locked into a 4 year contract after you draft them. Stack up on picks, draft players, practice. By year 2 they could all be starting caliber and you still have them for 3 years. Rinse and repeat and you have a revolving door of a powerhouse team.

Now, maybe I am wrong. Maybe the computer does in fact get the same practice points as a human controlled player and regression works correctly and it all works out swimmingly. But with EAs track record I am not holding my breath on that

1. every game against CPU is easy anyway, so much in fact that in my M13 online franchise we had to impose a max score against CPUs, because several people were beating them too much. In online franchise, all that matters is the human competition for playoffs/superbowl

2. cap matters a lot. You speak of raising a players OVR fast, but this is mainly through AWR. AWR basically does nothing unless you are simming. So you may have 80 ovr back ups, but they are "inflated". Try again but by raising the important attributes for each position and tell us if it as easy

^ that being said, the system is flawed. My play in M13 became very XP concentrated, so that every CPU game was about hitting players goals in order to maximize XP. It became a drag, ruined what madden is about, and made my starters so powerful that rookies became useless, since it would take too long for them to train to become better than even my back ups. (i couldnt help myself though, because i was playing in an online franchise with other teams doing something similar, so to keep up..)

Anyway, point being, with salary cap your pumped starters and back ups are going to demand too high a salary for you to keep up in about 3-4 years.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »