Home

Practice mode will ruin your franchise

This is a discussion on Practice mode will ruin your franchise within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3
Practice mode will ruin your franchise

I'm unsure how it works as a coach, but as an owner for every successful practice you get 2k exp to your coach AND every player. 1k to all for a failed practice (successful/failed meaning if you "won" the practice scenario you chose).

You have 21 practices available each season (17 regular season, 4 preseason). So you have the potential of getting 42000 experience points each season for EVERY player on your team, not including experience from meeting goals, etc.

What does this mean? Players who never see the field are getting a ridiculous amount of experience all season. You can have a 3rd string QB never play and get a huge attribute increase from these points. This means that backups are going to become starting caliber by years end.

Better ensure any online franchise you're in owners are banned from using the practice feature, unless you want all powerhouse teams by year 2

CONFIRMED: computer controlled teams DO NOT get practice points like human players do

UPDATE (READ!) And for all of those who are doubting what I am saying. Go test it. It takes all of 10 minutes to do so. Start a franchise, set progression to "end of season." Sim to week 16. Create a new owner and then with your new owner go to "upgrade players." Sort by experience with lowest experience showing first. You will find guys with xp lower than 100, some with 0 if they have not seen the field all season. This proves without a doubt that computer teams do not get practice points because if they did they would have thousands upon thousands of experience collected since they are set to not spend any till the end of the season.

Now recognize that during this timeframe any human controlled team could have practiced every single week. Let's say they practiced every week but "failed" every practice. Every player still gets 1000 xp for a failed practice. Let's say the human controlled team had 50 players. So that is 20 weeks of practicing with 50 players, giving you 20,000 experience per player on the team just from practices (which once again, to remind you, the computer teams DO NOT get). so...basic math

(players) x (experience per player) = (team total experience)
50 x 20,000 = 1,000,000 experience points

That is 1 million experience points that the human controlled teams get that computer teams have no chance of getting. 1 MILLION!!!! And that's failing every practice. Teams have the potential of getting 2 million.

Now before the 10th person comes in here and says "well then just don't practice." Yes, I am very aware of that. That fix works just fine for anyone doing a single player offline franchise. The problem arises in online franchises. There is no way to prevent users from practicing, so user teams will still be able to create powerhouses

To all those talking about how back ups should have a chance to develop, etc. I am not arguing against that at all. I absolutely agree that back ups should have a way to develop without having to start them in games. What I am saying is that this system does not do that effectively because no computer controlled teams have the same oppurtunity to develop talent. If computer teams could do the same thing I probably wouldn't have an issue with the system. What I am saying and have been saying this whole time is that the system is broken because of this.

Now, surely we can all agree that user teams getting one million to two million more experience points than computer teams per season is a severely flawed system. I get why they tried to implement this system, but they did it terribly. That is how practicing will ruin franchises.

EDIT:

Dear lord...

everyone just forget awr and forget ovr and just recognize that human teams are capable of earning 2 million exp more than cpu teams PER SEASON.

So don't spend it on awr. Your team is still going to have 2 million more exp to make your team better than the cpu.

And the issue isn't resolved by how much it cost to raise an attirubte past 80. The cpu teams have the same obstacle. Except with 2 millions less experience points to use

Last edited by Robo COP; 09-01-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

Re: Practice mode will ruin your franchise

I'm seriously dumbfounded that they put something like this in the game. I love most of what they've done with the game but this is unreal. It can completely ruin a franchise. There is no way I'm getting into any online franchises with people I don't know until they patch this.

This really does show that EA doesn't even test some of the features they throw in the game. I noticed this problem at the end of my very first preseason and an entire development team didn't catch this? C'mon man
Old 08-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
Rise up!

GruffyMcGuiness's Arena

OVR: 6

Doesn't bother me too much to be honest. All the important skills usually cost a ton to level up
Old 08-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

If people hadn't complained about backups not getting XP from games and practices last year, this wouldn't have been the way it is in M25.

Before I get criticized for what I just said, let me explain that EA also could have handled it a lot differently than the global 1000-2000 XP boost per practice. They promised (in PR pieces, mind you) that regression and age factor into practice's effectiveness. If this is the best way to handle the "backup progression" problem, then the final game must make good on the developer's philosophy.

Then again, I won't be surprised if everyone's left with a stacked roster after 5-10 seasons. As far as this series is concerned, the promises of the past aren't always kept.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP
I'm unsure how it works as a coach, but as an owner for every successful practice you get 2k exp to your coach AND every player. 1k to all for a failed practice (successful/failed meaning if you "won" the practice scenario you chose).

After unlocking the scouting boost for my coach in last years madden I would typically stop practicing. I will do the same in this years and you should too. You should also completely ban practices in any online franchise you have, here's why.

You have 21 practices available each season (17 regular season, 4 preseason). So you have the potential of getting 42000 experience points each season for EVERY player on your team, not including experience from meeting goals, etc.

What does this mean? Players who never see the field are getting a ridiculous amount of experience all season. You can have a 3rd string QB never play and get a huge attribute increase from these points. This means that backups are going to become starting caliber by years end. I'll give my personal example

With the Bucs, Mark Barron is my starting SS. He only got about 500 Experience from preseason play, but got 7000 from my practices. I went to spend his points at preseason end. He was a 75 ovr, and by boosting only his low awr and play recognition with those points he climbed to a 79 ovr. That's an average of 1 ovr per week for a guy who only got 500 experience on his own!

Think about what this means. Come years end every low end backup can just get a mass awr boost to become starter material. I'm willing to bet that its entirely plausible to have every player on a roster at an 80 ovr by year 3. Every user controlled team will be stacked with this system.

Better ensure any online franchise you're in owners are banned from using the practice feature, unless you want all powerhouse teams by year 2
Do the CPU teams practice and gain the same amount of XP each week? If not, then im happy not to practice
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
MVP

King Gro23's Arena

OVR: 21

Yeah look at upgrading cost for attributes that get into the upper 80's & so on the cost jacks up a ton. Important attributes to the position are weighted. So when in CFM you might be able to have a year or two of real big development jumps in attributes, but then you'll plateau off (3rd-6th yr of development because of reaching near-elite status quo/Upper echelon of talent or your career starts its decline)
unless your a rookie in cfm season 1 your career after that span of development through that process in the NFL is practically over. Guys are hot for a year,or two. Reaching their peak when its due, but they dont stay at the top. Very very few reach the top and then exceptionally raise the bar for a season(s) after reaching eliteness originally.

Suscribe on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/user/GleezyBaby43
Gleezybaby43
Old 08-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

I don't think you guys are understanding what I'm saying. EVERY PLAYER on your roster gets this whenever you play as an owner or coach. That means backups. So yea, attributes tend to cost more once they hit the the 80s, but every player can hit the 80s in awr, catching etc and that means that 5th string WR/CBs are going to be 80 overall by year 2/3. That's a powerhouse. When the backups to your backups could start on half the teams in the league, there's a problem
Old 08-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
MVP

pmurray20's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP
I don't think you guys are understanding what I'm saying. EVERY PLAYER on your roster gets this whenever you play as an owner or coach. That means backups. So yea, attributes tend to cost more once they hit the the 80s, but every player can hit the 80s in awr, catching etc and that means that 5th string WR/CBs are going to be 80 overall by year 2/3. That's a powerhouse. When the backups to your backups could start on half the teams in the league, there's a problem
isnt that how some teams are in real life though? lol 2nd string players on any team could start for the AFC North haha and thats coming from a die hard steeler fan.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »