Home

Defense is ATROCIOUS!!!

This is a discussion on Defense is ATROCIOUS!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2013, 10:00 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Defense is ATROCIOUS!!!

I noticed this too while player the demo. Even on All Madden difficulty and 5 min quarters, 30+ became too common or my tastes. I think it has some to do with the quarterbacks being overly accurate.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

I'm kinda annoyed with the defense this year too. It's almost like the secondary disappears and the pass rush is hardly a factor I've considered messing with the slider settings at this point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2013, 11:02 PM   #11
Banned

goravens2052's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesHd09
Head to slider forum
That's what I'm going to do. In my Raiders Franchise, I had Alfred Morris run for 394 yards in a single game against me. Now this was on All-Pro and I understand the Raiders don't have much of a team. That's why I chose them so I can rebuild them but giving up 394 rushing yards in a single game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2013, 11:43 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 29

Change game speed to slow. Solved most of my problems with the game
Old 09-01-2013, 12:15 AM   #13
MVP

redsfan4life's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise408
All-Madden.

What are your methods of double teaming?

A couple years back, I used to just call Double X / Z / Slot / TE plays, but those don't seem to be around anymore.

Unless they just aren't in the playbook I'm using.
Whenever you have two deep safeties try manually editing their assignment to guard whoever is gashing your defense. This has worked great for me.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #14
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Sliders will help a lot. Also take a look at my Madden blog that I have in my signature. I will updates it more when I finally get Madden 25, but the concepts stay the same.

It is all about finding a slider set that fits your needs as a gamer. I have been messing around with the demo while I await my copy of M25 to come in the mail, and in the demo I can turn off accelerated clock, so I can get more plays in, which allows me to really try out various changes.

The biggest change you might enjoy would be increasing the speed threshold. I talk about that all the time here. I am not saying that a 90 speed threshold is the sweet spot, but it is what I am working with and has given me the kind of results I am looking for. I went from crushing the computer 35-10 [49ers @ Ravens] to playing very close games.

Another thing is just playing better defense in general good calls, not losing your patients, that sort of thing. While Terrell Brown has 93 Man Coverage, Carlos Rogers only has like 88 or something [too low in my opinion, but it is what it is] but they both have mid to high 90's in zone coverage if I recall. The real life 49ers play a ton of cover 2 man in real life, but you might also want to use a lot of cover 3.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #15
Banned

Jibbler's Arena

OVR: 0

That's one of the problems I have always had with Madden, if I up the difficulty the defence places better but then the intercepts are insane, it's hard to get a real good balance
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastX21
Several people have lamented on the defense in this game. Its pretty crazy. Holding someone to 5 yards a rush is great defense considering how powerful the blocking is. Pass defense is also unimproved from last year, and actually got worse if anything.

I want to try and get used to the game a bit more though before passing final judgment. There may be some formations or plays that get stops effectively that haven't been found yet.

For the sake of fairness, I'll note that there are some improvements made to defense. First, defense on halfback screens is greatly improved, which is great because they were 15+ yard gains last year 75% of the time. Second, TE lead passes seem to be defended more effectively. Dive tackles also seem stronger in the sense that they have a longer range. I also think that the 4-man rush is improved, slightly.

Still, the run blocking is so much stronger than it was last year, and its power single-handedly outweighs everything I just said, and then some. Pass coverage still needs a lot of work.
not true. on the screen passes at all. on the right side screen passes still are pretty strong and if you run a screen to the left as well as any sweep to the left will result in huge plays.

defense needs to be patched its the one thing that is really limiting this game from being a really solid football title.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »