Home

Defense is ATROCIOUS!!!

This is a discussion on Defense is ATROCIOUS!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: Defense is ATROCIOUS!!!

You're probably not getting those 600 yard games because you're playing on pro, the CPU simply can't do it on pro. Meanwhile, on All-Madden - the only difficulty that present any semblance of a challenge for me - it is impossible to hold the CPU QB under 400-500 yards per game. I don't care WHO the QB is.

I'm having 400+ yard shootouts between B.J. Daniels and Christian Ponder... like... there is seriously something wrong.

In all my games, human or CPU, I can probably count on maybe both hands tops the # of punts I have seen combined.

I have yet to record a single turnover against the CPU.

In human vs. human matchups, the read-option and scrambling QB's are insane. And I haven't fallen victim to them yet - I'm simply talking about how badly I gash my opponents with Colin Kaepernick out of the Pistol offense. Or how badly Frank Gore dominates off stretch plays.

It doesn't matter what play I call, the defensive backs have absolutely no presence against the receiver. The receivers are constantly running free by yards against any DB, and if I try to pass rush to put pressure on the QB, all my blitzers just get caught up in the o-line suction blocking and can't get through. I haven't played enough to notice trends, but if it's anything like last year, the only guy I can really count on for sacks will be my left end, because for some reason, the animation interactions between the LE and the RT favor the LE. I can have Aldon Smith who will never break through a RT blocker all season, but Ray McDonald will rack up 20+ sacks. Meanwhile, when looking at my own offensive line, and who was responsible for all my sacks, LT, LG, C, and RG all COMBINED for less than 10 sacks, while the RT alone gave up 25. There's a blatant problem with the LE / RT interactions, and from what I'm noticing this year, it hasn't been fixed.

For the rush, the d-line gets no push, I've watched my linebackers and safeties run BACKWARDS -away- from oncoming ballcarriers. Stretch plays are broken. I can rack up 10-15+ yards a chunk off stretch plays. Even dive or iso plays routinely pick up 5+ yards. Don't get me started on the read-option.

The only defense that I've seen that can put up any semblance of a fight is the Seahawks, who's DB's are beyond broken in this game.

It's one extreme or another, with absolutely zero realistic middle ground.

And yes, since my last post, I have tinkered around with sliders, and no, it has not changed anything.

If it weren't for the social aspect of being in my 32 team league, I would not be playing this game anymore. I literally cannot stand playing against the CPU. I've played 2 pre-season games in my franchise mode, and I'm already done with it and have no desire to continue. Things slightly even out in a 32 team league where everyone is pretty like minded about how they play the game and nobody is out to cheese or exploit the mechanics. But even with a friendly nature of playing, there are some truly glaring issues that this game faces.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #26
Hoops Mechanic

Sovartus's Arena

OVR: 20

So I guess I should be happy that I'm not "so good at the game" that I can't enjoy playing it anymore?
Old 09-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #27
Pro

baller7345's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise408
You're probably not getting those 600 yard games because you're playing on pro, the CPU simply can't do it on pro. Meanwhile, on All-Madden - the only difficulty that present any semblance of a challenge for me - it is impossible to hold the CPU QB under 400-500 yards per game. I don't care WHO the QB is.
Its possible, or else I would have stopped playing all madden by now.

My last 5 games have been all wins and the scores were 55-6, 62-3, 35-21, 28-25, and 42-14. In the first two I held the opposing offenses to under 200 yards of total offense in 15 minute quarters. The other ones had more yards but no 400-500 yard passing preformances and never did I give up more than 150 yards rushing to a back. The two huge blow outs were drastically different in the 55-6 I played off of a terrible performance by Brandon Weeden and had 5 INTs which let me get a lot of points. IN the 62-3 game I returned 8 punts because the Texans kept stalling out in their drives but Schaub didn't turn the ball over like Weeden.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #28
Hoops Mechanic

Sovartus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller7345
Its possible, or else I would have stopped playing all madden by now.

My last 5 games have been all wins and the scores were 55-6, 62-3, 35-21, 28-25, and 42-14. In the first two I held the opposing offenses to under 200 yards of total offense in 15 minute quarters. The other ones had more yards but no 400-500 yard passing preformances and never did I give up more than 150 yards rushing to a back. The two huge blow outs were drastically different in the 55-6 I played off of a terrible performance by Brandon Weeden and had 5 INTs which let me get a lot of points. IN the 62-3 game I returned 8 punts because the Texans kept stalling out in their drives but Schaub didn't turn the ball over like Weeden.
Hey Baller, I have a real question for you. I was watching some of the stuff on the Madden-School website and was a little confused. Do you not consider stuff like the "Saw 0 Blitz" in that E-book, exploiting the programming and therefore cheating in a way?
Old 09-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #29
Banned

I would like to know what you're doing to hold the CPU to low points. My All-Madden offline CCM is simple:

I have the #1 offense in the league that can't be stopped, and the #32 defense that can't get a stop.

I might not be the greatest defensive player in the world of Madden, but I'm not so bad that I can't make a stop.

I feel like I'm playing 1 v. 11 when I'm on defense, the "1" being the single guy I'm controlling. Because the other 10 guys are completely worthless having out there on the field.

I try to blitz to get pressure? The pass rush never breaks through. I try to keep my DB's back to defend the pass? They still get torched, giving up 80%+ completions to the NFL's worst QB's for 20 yards a chunk. I try to stop the run and play the run? My defense gets no push, and the running back picks up 10+ yards a chunk.

On the flip side... I rush with Gore? 10+ yards a carry. I need a 3rd and short 1st down? No problem, my receivers will find the holes in the zone with ease. I need a deep quick strike? No problem, my slot receiver will split the cover 2 with a deep streak.

The defense simply put does not exist on either side of the ball in my games.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovartus
So I guess I should be happy that I'm not "so good at the game" that I can't enjoy playing it anymore?
Where in my post did you even begin to get that I was saying that you weren't "so good at the game"???
Old 09-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #31
Hoops Mechanic

Sovartus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise408
Where in my post did you even begin to get that I was saying that you weren't "so good at the game"???
You didn't. I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I was being serious.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #32
Hoops Mechanic

Sovartus's Arena

To clarify, I was suggesting that YOU were so good at the game that you can't enjoy it anymore and I should be happy I haven't achieved that mastery level.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »