Home

My take on the divide of opinions on this game

This is a discussion on My take on the divide of opinions on this game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 6
Re: My take on the divide of opinions on this game

I use to be like the OP too but I have lowered my standards way down for Madden games so I am enjoying 25 just because it's the only NFL game we got so I tend to overlook sim like things I use to gripe about in the past.

And as the other poster said, if you do want something sim like in madden this gen, Madden 12 is probably the closest you will come.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 5

I wouldn't go as far as to say you're not SIM if you enjoy the game, but if you are looking for a SIM experience you just don't any options out there right now. I mean my biggest issue is the pressure from the RE position wich has been 0 for the last 7 years when the best athletes in football play that position. I'm an eagles fan but I mean boy do I feel for those Bears fans, I mean EA literally refuses to put their proper jerseys in the game! Lol I mean what if the Eagles were wearing black pants or something, I would flip. Also Size and weight in the passing game means absolutely nothing, I mean Calvin Johnson barely gets more elevation than Desean Jackson I mean at this point the down the field passing animations are a joke.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrueToTheGame
I wouldn't go as far as to say you're not SIM if you enjoy the game, but if you are looking for a SIM experience you just don't any options out there right now. I mean my biggest issue is the pressure from the RE position wich has been 0 for the last 7 years when the best athletes in football play that position. I'm an eagles fan but I mean boy do I feel for those Bears fans, I mean EA literally refuses to put their proper jerseys in the game! Lol I mean what if the Eagles were wearing black pants or something, I would flip. Also Size and weight in the passing game means absolutely nothing, I mean Calvin Johnson barely gets more elevation than Desean Jackson I mean at this point the down the field passing animations are a joke.
man, don't get me started. I try to play different teams, and the Right side of the Dline is crap. And the sad thing is usually the best player is on that side. Like how realistic is it that Julius Peppers can't get to the QB but some bum on the other side of the line can get lucky and get some sacks.

And Calvin Johnson...hehe.... I played vs the LIons numerous times and the cpu hardly goes deep to him or goes to him at all.

i better just stop now.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #12
Pro

Ampking101's Arena

OVR: 8

This view is very skewed. I myself am not a casual gamer by any means. I am also a huge football fanatic that wants a sim game.

I like to take my team and play out my Franchise in a simulation (in both roster choices and stats). I also like teams to stay rather together. On the other hand I also occasionally when I get bored like to run a Fantasy Draft and What if scenarios.

My belief is that the people who dispise this game also fail to realize that some things that are being complained about are completely ridiculous. Yes there are some legitimate potentially game breaking things. A few of them being the defense and the repeating Draft classes. Even though those themselves have fixes (sliders and imported drafts) I can understand the complaints.

A few things you stated as "game breaking" is nitpicking.

1. Players Retiring after a few years:
This happens a lot in real life and actually fans in real life complain when this doesn't happen. Case in point people calling Tony Gonzalez the new Bret Favre.

2. Unrealistic cuts/trades/drafts:
What is unrealistic? Was the Colts drafting a QB #1 overall in the draft when they had a perfectly decent QB only to cut Peyton Manning unrealistic? Just two years before it happened no one would have ever seen that coming. What about Percy Harvin? Anquan Boldin? The three 1st rounders the Redskins gave up for RG3. What about the fact that the Falcons didn't resign Curtis Lofton, Brent Grimes, cut Dunta Robinson, took 2 CBs with their first 2 picks. What about the Patriots drafting 2 TEs in the first two rounds. How do you program this logic in the first place let alone have program them to happen without having people complaining it's not realistic?

3. Uniforms:
I too want my teams uniforms to look like their real life counter part but is complaining about Captain patches being upside down really that big of a deal when you only see them up close at most once or twice a game.

And honestly all this talk about no run game and too many INTs can't be playing on all-Madden because I get throttled on the ground for at least 100 yards a gamw by the cpu run game and I was lucky to get 5 ints all season with the Falcons backfield.

I understand people being frustrated, is Madden the best Football game? Not by a long shot but it is playable and it can be fun. I think people are a bit harder or it because of EA's name being attatched to it.

That's just my two cents though. I'll also admit that I could be butthurt about the fact that just because I'm enjoying the game "sim heads" seem to lump me in with the casual crowd. Hopefully soon we can have competition again in the football market but right now I'm okay (not satisfied but I am okay) with Madden for the time being.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyacinth1
man, don't get me started. I try to play different teams, and the Right side of the Dline is crap. And the sad thing is usually the best player is on that side. Like how realistic is it that Julius Peppers can't get to the QB but some bum on the other side of the line can get lucky and get some sacks.

And Calvin Johnson...hehe.... I played vs the LIons numerous times and the cpu hardly goes deep to him or goes to him at all.

Thats what I'm saying man thats what I'm saying so when I have people arguing with me telling me this game is sim and I check the season stats from my franchise and Trent Cole has 4 sacks yet my LE has 19 I just laugh. And like you said why hasn't anyone acknowledged that for the past 7 years the CPU QB STILL only throws to their Slot receiver? When they got a guy like Calvin Johnson on the outside, I'll play the Lions and Calvin Johnson will have like 3 catches on 4 targets but they Slot Receiver (or sometimes the TE) will have 8 catches, come on...I don't know if you are familiar with NBA 2K but they have whats called a "touches" tendency they need to add something like that into Madden so teams FOCUS on trying to get the ball into their stars hands.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #14
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyacinth1

See, I'm not getting this when I play.

Seems like people like to jump to all-madden and see if they can defeat the CPU.(not saying this is you)

With adjusted sliders, playing as the Packers, AI controlled Hawk or Brad Jones and Matthews was getting pressure from the left side. He sacked Cutler on 1st and 3rd downs.

The next series, Cutler was rattled in the pocket and hurried his throws. He was throwing out of bounds, over the head and wide.

On any default, this game plays lousy.

I knew how the game played before I downloaded the demo because I had NCAA and it plays similar.

Last edited by roadman; 09-02-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #15
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampking101
This view is very skewed. I myself am not a casual gamer by any means. I am also a huge football fanatic that wants a sim game.

I like to take my team and play out my Franchise in a simulation (in both roster choices and stats). I also like teams to stay rather together. On the other hand I also occasionally when I get bored like to run a Fantasy Draft and What if scenarios.

My belief is that the people who dispise this game also fail to realize that some things that are being complained about are completely ridiculous. Yes there are some legitimate potentially game breaking things. A few of them being the defense and the repeating Draft classes. Even though those themselves have fixes (sliders and imported drafts) I can understand the complaints.

A few things you stated as "game breaking" is nitpicking.

1. Players Retiring after a few years:
This happens a lot in real life and actually fans in real life complain when this doesn't happen. Case in point people calling Tony Gonzalez the new Bret Favre.

2. Unrealistic cuts/trades/drafts:
What is unrealistic? Was the Colts drafting a QB #1 overall in the draft when they had a perfectly decent QB only to cut Peyton Manning unrealistic? Just two years before it happened no one would have ever seen that coming. What about Percy Harvin? Anquan Boldin? The three 1st rounders the Redskins gave up for RG3. What about the fact that the Falcons didn't resign Curtis Lofton, Brent Grimes, cut Dunta Robinson, took 2 CBs with their first 2 picks. What about the Patriots drafting 2 TEs in the first two rounds. How do you program this logic in the first place let alone have program them to happen without having people complaining it's not realistic?

3. Uniforms:
I too want my teams uniforms to look like their real life counter part but is complaining about Captain patches being upside down really that big of a deal when you only see them up close at most once or twice a game.

And honestly all this talk about no run game and too many INTs can't be playing on all-Madden because I get throttled on the ground for at least 100 yards a gamw by the cpu run game and I was lucky to get 5 ints all season with the Falcons backfield.

I understand people being frustrated, is Madden the best Football game? Not by a long shot but it is playable and it can be fun. I think people are a bit harder or it because of EA's name being attatched to it.

That's just my two cents though. I'll also admit that I could be butthurt about the fact that just because I'm enjoying the game "sim heads" seem to lump me in with the casual crowd. Hopefully soon we can have competition again in the football market but right now I'm okay (not satisfied but I am okay) with Madden for the time being.
We all know this is not Brady and Mannings last year in the league, unless they suffer a serious injury. The game seems to believe it is.

They did that after he missed an entire season and they realized their team is terrible outside of him. They decided it was a good time to rebuild and they still weren't sure Manning was going to return to his old form. This game seems to think that it is ok for the Colts and Redskins to let Luck and RG3 walk after their rookie contracts are up. And that's after RG3 comes off of a MVP and SB winning season. Also, teams don't draft a QB in the first round 3 years in a row like this game does.

I don't really care about uniforms.

There is no way you can make an argument against this game having terrible draft and FA logic. Which is the biggest friction point with me. Way unrealistic
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #16
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

I thought EA was going the right way with '12 and finally building on franchise but got panned and then decided to reinvent things which led to the buggy mess in '13,which was critically well received because of innovation.

This years game is certainly better but has inherent issues that have been well documented but are either ignored or they don't know how to fix them.Unfortunately the depth of Head Coach 09 is still not there as was the thought and excitement here before last year.The physics system isn't quite what was invisioned as well.

EA has created this divide by making each year a give and take experience.If you take every game since '10 and throw something from each in the mix and you would have something really good.You still wouldn't have penalties working though.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »