Home

My take on the divide of opinions on this game

This is a discussion on My take on the divide of opinions on this game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3
My take on the divide of opinions on this game

It has come to my attention that there is a bit of a divide of people who think this is a fun and enjoyable game and those who think that it's broken a piece of garbage.

I've come to realize that I think the divide is mostly between more casual type players (that don't get too in depth with the game) and those players who like to get in depth and control many aspects of the game (such as the fans of owner mode).

The more casual type player enjoys it more. They aren't as concerned with realistic stats or anything of the sort. They just want to play the game, maybe play a couple games with friends. Nothing wrong with that, I'm glad they are enjoying the game

It's the more in depth guys that despise this game right now (including myself). Me personally, I want my game to be as realistic as possible. Madden is obviously not a sim type game. I think that's why some of us are so mad about this game. This is the first time I bought madden day 1 in a couple of years. I did so because I was excited about the return of owner mode.

But obviously I'm not enjoying myself. I'm not enjoying myself because of the gamebreaking glitches. Repeated draft classes as some have reported, I don't even want to take the chance of wasting my time going through a season only to have a repeat draft class ruin it in the next season.

The ridiculous amounts of INTs and the fact that cpu AI can never establish the run. Game breaking to me. Way too unrealistic for me to be using a terrible defense and be top 5 in the league in stopping the run and leading the league in INTs because the cpu AI can't not throw 3 INTs a game.

The terrible stats of simmed games. Teams scoring a ridiculous amount of defensive touchdowns, not realistic. Hate it.

The amount of solid players retiring just a few years in a franchise, or sometimes even after year 1. I don't enjoy that. I want the elites to keep playing till they aren't elite anymore, like tha majority do.

The way schemes are broken (at least in offline). Even if you change your scheme your players overalls don't recalculate. I want to try to change my team into a 3-4 defense, but I can't because it remains to calculate my DEs as speed rushers (of course I could still pick up 3-4 guys, but then the cpu AI devalues that player for me and throws them on the trade block, etc). If I switch my scheme the overalls should follow suit, like the game was DESIGNED to do and actually DID DO last year. Instead I am stuck with the scheme my team began with in year 1 for the rest of my franchise.

I'm dragging on. But I think you get my point. The people who like this game I feel like are the more casual guys, who just want to play the game. Those who hate it right now are those guys who want to control a team, who like the extra stuff. The franchise mode, the owner mode. Those are the modes with the biggest issues. Those are the modes that are broken

Of course some still can play those modes and have fun. If you pick a team and keep their original schemes you won't have a problem with that, maybe the retirments don't bug you that much and you don't encounter multiple draft classes. I could see you enjoying that mode. But me personally, I look at everything. I'll spend hours scrolling through different screens and rosters. I want my game to be realistic. When I see crazy off the wall stuff happen, I don't enjoy it. It takes all the fun out of the game for me

Anyway, that is my take. Let me know if you agree or disagree. Obviously there are exceptions on both sides, but I think for the most part, that is the divide in opinions on the game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
Dynasty Guru

JaymeeAwesome's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: My take on the divide of opinions on this game

Don't the overalls change in the depth chart while in a game? I thought they did while the overalls while outside the game stay the same.

Madden 15 Sliders: Realistic Game Stat Sliders for Madden 15

Madden 15 Dynasty: The NFL Reborn...
Old 09-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Eh, this just might make the greater divide.

For me, and I don't mean to be crass or anything, but as long as I enjoy the game, that's all that counts for me. I can't worry about what the next guy thinks or feels and I don't have time to concern myself with it.

I play the game to play as close to NFL football as possible and I was obtaining those results with adjusted sliders.

I'm not a casual gamer by no means, been playing since the Sega Genesis days.

It's difficult to judge people on the net when I don't know them personally.

Adjusted sliders saved this game for me. On default, the game is terrible.

Last edited by roadman; 09-01-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
Rookie

fletcher2332's Arena

The game plays really good at times and you see something that is so realistic to the nfl. Then there are the outdated graphics same as 2006. Plus all the many glitches that just ruins it for the sim and casual gamer. For example the broken challenge system, wind meter, limited touchdown celebrations, when you get a first down the player usually points wrong way, injury bug etc etc. the game is ok but sad such laziness was envolved

Last edited by fletcher2332; 09-01-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymee13
Don't the overalls change in the depth chart while in a game? I thought they did while the overalls while outside the game stay the same.
they change in the game depth chart to the universal measurement of ovr rating. But when playing a franchise, while looking at rosters outside of a game, the overall ratings are calculated by your scheme. When you change your scheme those overalls are supposed to be recalculated by that scheme. But they are not. Makes it harder to manage your team and makes the game believe that players who are actually good for your new scheme are not good for it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

You can do things to make the game play better but if the franchise things bother you, and I'm sure they bother many others,'12 is the better option for a more realistic franchise with more player control.The editor available gives you the ability to have everything updated the way you want.

I know you did buy the game and want to get the most out of it.Just throwing an option out because I can see by playing the games and what I've read here that some people are very happy with this years game but some would be better off still playing '12 with updated rosters if they want.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

but 12 doesn't have an option to share rosters, or does it?

I would be willing to give that a try, but I don't have the time to reedit all the rosters to be the current ones.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP
but 12 doesn't have an option to share rosters, or does it?

I would be willing to give that a try, but I don't have the time to reedit all the rosters to be the current ones.
I know there's some updated rosters and instructions on how to download onto a memory stick in the rosters section.I'm pretty sure the schedule is updated also because you can do that in the editor.

Just checked and for the 360 there is a working roster download that was ported from Madden 25 and for ps3 there are new updated roster downloads as well.

Last edited by gr18; 09-01-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »