Home

Does the game "cheat" to be more competitive?

This is a discussion on Does the game "cheat" to be more competitive? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
ssc
Rookie

ssc's Arena

OVR: 1
Does the game "cheat" to be more competitive?

Okay, hear me out. I've been pretty patient with the new game so far, despite its (in my opinion) mostly positive additions. But something has to give:

- I play as a linebacker 90% of the time on defense. Why is that on a straight dive to the right, or even a stretch to the right (for example,) the player that I AM CONTROLLING takes two steps to the left immediately, despite me pressing the exact opposite of that?

- Similarly, as I run a run-heavy offense - why is it on a stretch play to the left, for example, my running back immediately cuts inward the second he receives the ball - most particular on crucial downs important in the game?

- My main franchise is a Fantasy Draft career - I have Patrick Willis, and the team I was facing had Joe Flacco at the quarterback. How is it possible that on a 3rd and 17, I have Patrick Willis spying on Joe Flacco - but yet he somehow magically is able to escape a Von Miller sack, and run unscathed for a 1st down because Patrick Willis was playing man coverage on a tight end 30 yards down the field?

What is going on?! Situations #1 and #2 seem to be extremely frequent, and I'm sure there's more examples I'm forgetting as well. Someone please help me here, I can't be the only one. I recently had to quit a game out of pure frustration in the early 4th quarter because this had happened in succession for almost an entire quarter. Am I going crazy? What gives?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Does the game "cheat" to be more competitive?

Yes. Call a play, say a passing play and audible to a run, no change in player movement, like a shotgun with HB. After calling the play, audible to a running play and watch how CPU players react. Next, call a passing play and audible to same passing play and watch how CPU players react.

In my experience, CPU players react to a change in play, not if an audible to same play. Thus, I believe the CPU knows every call you make on the first take, and maybe on first audible as well. If in real football the coaches know what the other coach is calling, then that would be called cheating, which explains my answer to you.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13
Cool Re: Does the game "cheat" to be more competitive?

Yes, the game cheats to a certain extent.

-I don't experience this when playing LB manually. The only thing I can guess is that his play assignment tells him to run to the left and then he's reacting to the play. As to why he's taking that first step outside of your control maybe your not moving the stick in any direction at the snap so he's following his AI planned assignment? I typically manually move my defender a step or two prior to the play to prevent auto movement.

-This happens to me sometimes if I am holding the LT at the snap or I press it right after the handoff. Could that be the cause?

-Did the CPU motion on the play? Were you in man defense? Sometimes motion changes your man assignments and causes a double team that you didnt want.

I do think the game cheats in some instances but I don't think these are examples of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide
Old 09-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
Pro

BTownSlinger's Arena

OVR: 5

No, the game doesn't cheat. The game is broken.

Big difference.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
ssc
Rookie

ssc's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
Yes. Call a play, say a passing play and audible to a run, no change in player movement, like a shotgun with HB. After calling the play, audible to a running play and watch how CPU players react. Next, call a passing play and audible to same passing play and watch how CPU players react.

In my experience, CPU players react to a change in play, not if an audible to same play. Thus, I believe the CPU knows every call you make on the first take, and maybe on first audible as well. If in real football the coaches know what the other coach is calling, then that would be called cheating, which explains my answer to you.
Very true, this has definitely been an issue for years now though, unfortunately. Wildly enough it does seem to have amplified this year, though. At least try to be more discreet about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll2tide
Yes, the game cheats to a certain extent.

-I don't experience this when playing LB manually. The only thing I can guess is that his play assignment tells him to run to the left and then he's reacting to the play. As to why he's taking that first step outside of your control maybe your not moving the stick in any direction at the snap so he's following his AI planned assignment? I typically manually move my defender a step or two prior to the play to prevent auto movement.

-This happens to me sometimes if I am holding the LT at the snap or I press it right after the handoff. Could that be the cause?

-Did the CPU motion on the play? Were you in man defense? Sometimes motion changes your man assignments and causes a double team that you didnt want.

I do think the game cheats in some instances but I don't think these are examples of it.
Interestingly enough, when I'm playing as a linebacker I *always* put him pre-snap into a spy mode, so I should theoretically have full control of him. I may have to start the whole 'forward movement' thing from here in, though. Maybe I'll start 2-3 steps behind his normal starting position and go forward, rather than committing to a step or two in either direction which could be wrong.

The RB thing - nope! I mean, it DOES happen when I use the LT during a run (he just kind of goes wherever he feels like,) but I only use the trigger when absolutely necessary. This is just a standard outside run!

This was actually a pretty thick zone. Originally he was going to blitz and I manually switched him to a spy. Yet, somehow he's stuck on a guy down the field. So frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTownSlinger
No, the game doesn't cheat. The game is broken.

Big difference.
Ha! A fair point. I'm probably just going to have to take this all in stride a little better. It's just frustrating when I'm playing my absolute best - but it means nothing because the actions I make are literally all for not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 9

It depends on what "cheat" means to you and if you understand how the game is made.

If you have been believing all this time that the cpu AI is actually reading your defense before a pass, or that the cpu AI is actually moving around on defense based on what your WR's are doing - than I would say "no" - the game is not cheating you - you have been cheating yourself.

EA has a lot of money - but even if it did exist - I highly doubt we will ever see the cpu AI ever be able to react like a human being. The cpu AI does what it does based on what plays you call. Technically - we are playing ourselves. The cpu just reacts to what we do however aggressively we allow them to.

When you play against SF - it "feels" like they are a good team. But actually - its just the cpu calling better plays & moving into better positions to stop you.

The CB is not following the WR. He is going to where your receiver is suppose to go. That is why USER-CATCHING, HOT-ROUTING & AUDIBLING became an every play thing on harder levels. And it is why many players restrict themselves from those same things to make the game more challenging.

This is why I dont consider it cheating - there is not another way to make the game. You get realistic games based on how YOU play it. If you call the same 10 plays over and over all game because you know they work 90% of the time - don't scream foul when the cpu AI manipulates a frame here or there to stop you on 4th & inches 1 time. The cpu AI is suppose to try to stop you - if you run cheese all game - its going to cheese you back at some point.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
MVP

friscob's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc
- My main franchise is a Fantasy Draft career - I have Patrick Willis, and the team I was facing had Joe Flacco at the quarterback. How is it possible that on a 3rd and 17, I have Patrick Willis spying on Joe Flacco - but yet he somehow magically is able to escape a Von Miller sack, and run unscathed for a 1st down because Patrick Willis was playing man coverage on a tight end 30 yards down the field?
How in the world do you have Patrick Willis and Von Miller on the same team in a Fantasy Draft CFM?!?

2014 Cleveland Browns 13-3
2015 Cleveland Browns 6-1
GT: MouthyRat
Old 09-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

A few games ago they seemed to have a screen called every time I called a blitz. Also yes the audible thing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »