Home

New to Madden. Advice, please.

This is a discussion on New to Madden. Advice, please. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-09-2004, 04:24 PM   #1
Th* C*mm*shn*k*v

cliburn's Arena

OVR: 15
New to Madden. Advice, please.

I have been an NCAA man forever. I was on a seven man dynasty this year, until, seven seasons into the dynasty, someone corrupted the file. We now switched to a fantasy draft franchise on Madden. I don't have a specific question, but what are the things that you have to play to learn? What can you tell right now to make me a better Madden player? I used UTEP's playbook in NCAA; is there anyway to use a similar playbook in Madden? Thanks in advance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2004, 05:23 PM   #2
* d*n't b*l**v* *n g*ns.

snivlem's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: New to Madden. Advice, please.

fisrt off, consider yourself lucky to be doing what you're doing. Most lonely gamers would love to do something like that, including me.

I'm not as good at madden as ncaa. But I would just say, practice. Do the football drills where you pick a play and madden runs through where the ball goes etc.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:22 PM   #3
kac
Pro

OVR: 4

Learn how to use the cover 2 defense.I feel it is the best for defending the pass.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:27 PM   #4
Th* C*mm*shn*k*v

cliburn's Arena

Yeah, I am lucky. In my fantasy draft, I picked up D. McNabb, Jamal Lewis, and Bubba Franks as my headliners. We simulated the first season so that we could draft before our first season, and, after signing all of my rookies, I am still $17 million under the cap. That was by design. My team is solid across the board, but not spectacular. I was hoping to compete this year, figure out my weaknesses, and use that cap money next year on those weaknesses. Here is a potential problem:
My receivers are decent, but none are great. My top three are Ike Hilliard, Cory Bradford, and Kevin Dyson. My question is, will these guys be good enough with J.Lewis running behind a great OL and McNabb getting them the ball? Or should I trade for a top WR? I've still never actually played the game and don't know if I can survive with these guys. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:35 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 6

I apologize if I am not unerstanding correctly, but I think you are still actually playing the game. If you are actually playing the biggest difference you will find is that madden is alot more realistic than it has been in the past.

Some of the antics ncaa lets you get away with, will never work in madden(thang God). Do the pocket presence drill, know when to throw it away, get rid of the ball quick, establish the run so play action will work, learn the maximum protect blocking function of the running backs.

On defense, use the strafe with your defender, and almost completely remove the dive tackle from your arsenal. Be patient blocking the players path without over committing and wait for some defensive help. I let the ai defend one on one long passes as well, this is debatable, but one small mistake by the human controlled db and you are toast.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2004, 11:44 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:

On defense, use the strafe with your defender, and almost completely remove the dive tackle from your arsenal.

This stood out from your post, and got my attention, as I use the dive tackle all the time..

How do you recommend tackling people? Just running into them, or is there another button to press for better tackles?

I can relate to getting burned by a missed dive tackle, but I haven't explored other tackling methods.

Thanks for the tip.. If you could elaborate a little that would be great.

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:26 PM   #7
Th* C*mm*shn*k*v

cliburn's Arena

Quote:

simgameonly said:
I apologize if I am not unerstanding correctly, but I think you are still actually playing the game. If you are actually playing the biggest difference you will find is that madden is alot more realistic than it has been in the past.

Some of the antics ncaa lets you get away with, will never work in madden(thang God). Do the pocket presence drill, know when to throw it away, get rid of the ball quick, establish the run so play action will work, learn the maximum protect blocking function of the running backs.

On defense, use the strafe with your defender, and almost completely remove the dive tackle from your arsenal. Be patient blocking the players path without over committing and wait for some defensive help. I let the ai defend one on one long passes as well, this is debatable, but one small mistake by the human controlled db and you are toast.

By never played the game, I mean I had never even touched the game. I still haven't played a real game, as there are so many user-coaches and it is taking a while for everyone to be satisfied with their respective rosters. I traded Ike Hilliard for a moderately priced, bigger, faster, more physical Robert Ferguson. I traded Jamal Lewis for Luke Mimic (a former player on NCAA, drafted onto the game) 6'2" 275, 84 speed, 99 break tackle (No, I did not create him either.) He is much cheaper and still can produce. Any advice on actual gameplay and roster management is appreciated.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:41 PM   #8
MVP

fugazi's Arena

Your wideouts should be fine. I have always had success with low-1st or 2nd tier WRs. Having Moss or Harrison is great, but its no biggy. Catching is the best attribute by far for WRs, so if their ratings are fine, don't sweat it.
With the sort of running game you should have, it should not be a problem.
Slant route, learn it. Hook routes, short and deep, use 'em. I have noticed a huge difference in my Offense with a really good TE. EVen if they are not a priority in your O, there will be times when you need them on a big play...when they drop a 1st down pass, it is killer. You don't need TonyGonzalez, but someone who can catch is important. Franks is good, but you might check out Whitten from Dallas, he's big and fast and can catch.
Throw the ball away. It is adverse to nature sometimes, but Brett Favre proved just how smart it can be.
Run off tackle, forget about tosses and sweeps. I tank on them, maybe its just me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »