Home

Cycle Through Passing

This is a discussion on Cycle Through Passing within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: Cycle Through Passing

I dont think a cycle through system or vision cone is "realistic at all".

Folks talk about checking down their receivers, but that is what users already do when they throw the football to a receiver.
You visually scan the field and throw to the best option. to add to this you also have the lead receiver function and a user catch feature.

I actually wish they would bring back the setting/option to make every catch, a user catch. and make it more timing based instead of just holding down the triangle.

EA could tie the user catch to the random receiver receiver ratings and you could actually have different timing windows for catching the ball. if you want an added level of complexity, have the defender that's covering the receiver affect the timing window. a better defender would change the user catch timing window for a receiver.
talk about adjustments; As a qb this would force the user to exploit mismatches, put more receivers in motion to exploit the defense. etc.
I personally think that is how the passing game will become more challenging/sim like.

Back to the topic. When it comes to playing offense in Madden, I use all available options. IM actually very methodical in my approach. I read the defense, I audible my rbs and tight ends to pick up blocks, or block and release. I put players in motion, etc, I even manually sub (I have whole issue about this also)

Im actually methodical on the defensive side of the ball also.

I basically use every option available to make the game as sim as possible.

Last thing is this; The most innovative passing mechanic was found in BackBreaker Football. I believe that their passing mechanics would satisfy those who loved the vision cone and those who would like to cycle through receivers.

Last edited by tril; 09-09-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #18
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10

I would like to have seen a simplified but more realistic version of the vision cone.

Have the cone but only have one button for passing. Have the QBs accuracy rating change the size of the cone and their awareness change the speed that you can move the cone. Then ONE very well tuned pressure sensitive button that would allow you to chose which receiver (if their happend to be two in the cone) you were throwing to. So bascially just like Pro Evo, FIFA and NHL have just a pass button.

Depending on the length of the throw use the QBs short/medium/deep accuracy in combination with how far from the cone's center the receiver is and the precision of the user's pressure sensitive button press to estimate the accuracy of the throw. This is essentially the manual passing mechanic in Pro Evo Soccer and would allow for throws off center and under and over throws based on the user input and not just some random dice roll creating overthrows.

You could even replace the cone with just a line and basically you use the pressure sensitivity to throw along that line and then its up to the receiver to go get it. This would be very realistic but also insanely hard (perfect for me but maybe not so much for most Madden gamers).

Last edited by Dogslax41; 09-09-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #19
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

The passing controls in Madden are stale and need to be redone desperately. It's a darn shame they haven't thought of a different way to pass in Madden after all these years. On top of unrealistic passing controls Qb's are WAY to accurate at the least they should drastically reduce Qb throwing power and accuracy when throwing from certain areas in the backfield.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 1

I gave up on EA making anything more in-depth when the tagline for one of their games was, "simpler."
Old 09-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeg
I totally agree. However, I'm one of the guys that thought the vision cone was the best thing to happen to Madden as far as gameplay is concerned.

I still can't understand why it was completely taken out of the game. Would it have really been a big deal to leave it there, but have it turned off in the default settings?
THIS^^, all of this^!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 3

Bring the vision cone back and add the passing mechanics to the right stick. (c)

Use the right stick left or right to scan the field, bring the right stick down then up to throw the pass. the harder you flick the stick up the more force on the pass (depends on pass power rating). To pump fake just tap down. Sprinting is the same

oh and also add the read options mechanics to the whole run game. time a handoff would be awesome or handing off to a rb while in PA without him knowing he is getting the ball would be a great addition to cause more offense mistakes.

any thoughts on the above.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 2

Great points Big. Good thread.

I always thought the vision cone was almost universally hated. Good to see the love. it sounds close to what you're looking for.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #24
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
It attempts to mimic it but there is nothing stopping you from just completely disregarding the progressions you're supposed to be making. And what happens when the play breaks down? You run out of the pocket, have a receiver standing five yards in front of you and have to cycle through four or five receivers even though this guy is spitting distance away. Things like this and certain things like check downs is where I think this system would just become infuriating and unrealistic.

In terms of magically throwing pin point passes despite not looking at the receiver, how would that be any different with cycle through passing? If I start with my receiver on the right, see my receiver on the left wide open, and cycle through to him and throw it, how is it really that much different than using the cone to go from left to right? With the god mode view, no matter what passing you use, that's always going to be an issue. IMO, cycling through is just basically seems like the equivalent to moving the cone and/or RT + your receivers button.

The vision cone was by no means perfect either but with some tweaks I think it could have been excellent.
Cycling system is different because it only allows you to target one WR at a time. Like it's done in real life. The vision cone allows you to target as many WRs that in your cone. Again QB don't throw to people they aren't looking at unless they are just throwing the ball away.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »