Home

Cycle Through Passing

This is a discussion on Cycle Through Passing within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Cycle Through Passing

For years now various gamers have been noting how even the ole cycle through passing in Tecmo Bowl is a more realistically challenging system then the every receiver to a button system in EA and 2k football games. Due to being preoccupied with the lack of things like route based passing and the receivers not being untethered from the ball in EA football games, I have never given much thought to the suggestion until just now.

I'm watching the Cowboys v Giants Sunday night football game and after paying closer attention to how rolling out the QB essentially takes away half the field in real life, it's clear that isn't represented in a football game with the every receiver to button system. Not only that but the need to read a defense before the snap, the ability to read a QBs eyes if they stare down a receiver or look off a defender and the benefit of forcing a QB out the pocket are extremely nerfed.

I know there will be those that shrug this off like I have forever, due to feeling Madden can have a better passing game while still keeping essentially the same system. However I can't ignore anymore how inferior the current every receiver to button system is to some version of a cycle through passing system. I'm NOT advocating for any type of return to a vision cone but the ability of a QB to target every receiver on the field simultaneously is quite absurd. Also when has a real life QB ever targeted one receiver but accidentally thrown to another one, like you can in the current system? lol. I have no idea what that is supposed to be representing.

I have no delusions of there being some groundswell for this anytime soon but frankly the every receiver to button system the vast majority of us have enjoyed in various football games for years, is an arcade crutch better suited for the lower difficulty levels, imo.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 09-08-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
Rookie

Illumin411's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Cycle Through Passing

They had the vision cone which was actually very realistic. Everybody hated it and complained and they removed it.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21

I agree. Tecmo's passing system, as far as cycling through receivers, is more like real life. You can even simulate looking off a DB by staying on a reciever and then cycling to the guy you wanted to throw to all along. Plus if your being pressured you have to really hurry to get it cycle to the open guy. It's sad that an arcade style football game from 91 is more realistic in some areas than Madden.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

They tried that with vision cone, and people complained it was too hard.

People scream realism and sim, until it becomes inconvenient.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:03 AM   #5
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
I agree. Tecmo's passing system, as far as cycling through receivers, is more like real life. You can even simulate looking off a DB by staying on a reciever and then cycling to the guy you wanted to throw to all along. Plus if your being pressured you have to really hurry to get it cycle to the open guy. It's sad that an arcade style football game from 91 is more realistic in some areas than Madden.
The cycling through your receivers makes Tecmo more realistic than Madden? Ok.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2013, 02:19 AM   #6
MVP

Tweeg's Arena

OVR: 12

I totally agree. However, I'm one of the guys that thought the vision cone was the best thing to happen to Madden as far as gameplay is concerned.

I still can't understand why it was completely taken out of the game. Would it have really been a big deal to leave it there, but have it turned off in the default settings?
Old 09-09-2013, 02:53 AM   #7
Rookie

fjackson18's Arena

OVR: 4

I thought the vision cone was a great idea and actually gave us something to make Ratings visually seem like they made a difference. but i guess the outrage over the difficulty out weighed the idea of actually making things seem closer to being realistic. the cursor in tecmo was not bad at all
Old 09-09-2013, 03:45 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Cycling through receivers would be interesting. It would add tactical depth, since you could fool defenses by looking off your main read, and it would leave room for ratings to count more. For example, a high AWR passer could switch targets faster or more intelligently. I'd enjoy something like this in Madden, but then again, I still miss vision cone, so I'm probably insane.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »