Home

3rd down passing

This is a discussion on 3rd down passing within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Pro

sabres32's Arena

OVR: 2
3rd down passing

Nearly every time I pass the ball on 3rd down its completely inaccurate and misses my WR by a ton. This only occurs on 3rd down, I can run the same exact play on 1st or 2nd down and the pass is as accurate as it can be.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: 3rd down passing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabres32
Nearly every time I pass the ball on 3rd down its completely inaccurate and misses my WR by a ton. This only occurs on 3rd down, I can run the same exact play on 1st or 2nd down and the pass is as accurate as it can be.
It may just be a defense coverage thing. Obviously on 3rd and mid-long, they're going to defend the pass more. Perhaps that is having an effect.

Try getting a ground game going, and use play-action on 3rd.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I don't have 25 yet [but it should be here by the end of the week] but I know that Josh Loman was big on player roles back in Madden 06 and 07 on the PS2. When madden came to the 360, EA said hat they built the game from the ground up, but that is in part a lie. Legacy code for player roles were still in the game and you could see the computer progressing them in 09 and 10. They just hid it in 11. In Madden 12 they did Dynamic Player Performance and player traits, which I believe is still in 13 and 25.

What I am getting at is that your QB could have a trait or something that makes him worse on 3rd downs and/or some defenses you could be playing against might have traits that make life harder on the QB.

Keep in mind that consistency is one of the BIG traits from Madden 12. Your QB may say he has 88 deep accuracy like Tim Tebow has in Madden 12, but with 1 star of consistency, he will rarely actually play at that rating. Compare that to someone who might have only 82 or 84 deep accuracy but 5 stars of consistency and he will always be pretty good [but never great].

Since Madden 12, there are more to players than just their ratings, but sadly Donny Moore seems to have almost forgotten about player traits since 12 came out. I think in Madden 13 Navorro Bowman had the same traits as he did in 12, which were never adjusted since the default roster when 12 came out and he was an unknown.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
All Star

azdawgpound's Arena

OVR: 21

i have the same problem wr can be wide open throw............ and the ball ends up in the sidelines.... and if its a qb trait thing then every qb must have it because I've used Brandon Weeden, Brian Hoyer, and 2 different rookie qb's in my ccm. and every time no matter what qb they throw it to the sideline.

even had it happen in online ranked games and that makes me mad because have wide open wrs qb's feet are set throws and ends up in sidelines or in stands and im like wth? are u serious.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:52 AM   #5
Pro

sabres32's Arena

OVR: 2

it kills me and I guess I need to upgrade Manuels consistency then. I mean I get WR's that are wide and I mean WIDE open and some how the pass goes 10 yards in front on my intended receiver.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 3

Never had this problem.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
Rookie

It may actually be a glitch similar to the one where the QB throws the ball backwards. Almost like a bug in the targeting algorithm that causes the trajectory of the pass to go haywire.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
Rookie

I have the oppisite problem playing vs humans. 3rd or 4th and long they seem to always complete a long throw.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »