Home

Kotaku Bashes Next-Gen Madden Footage - "It Looks Terrible"

This is a discussion on Kotaku Bashes Next-Gen Madden Footage - "It Looks Terrible" within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #49
MVP

OVR: 22
Re: Kotaku Bashes Next-Gen Madden Footage - "It Looks Terrible"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Sufferer
OVERHEARD AT TIBURON STUDIOS:

EA Suit: Charlie, we need to talk, have you seen this Kotaku article?? They're saying next gen Madden looks terrible. I gave you guys the green light to make the greatest football simulation ever, I told you to start from the ground up, no expenses spared, what's going on??

Charlie: Well that's kind of the problem boss, we've got this new whiz kid Jimmy and he took the whole "ground up" thing a bit too literally.

EA Suit: What do you mean?

Charlie: The kid started with the grass, he rendered every blade of grass for every stadium individually, it's really quite amazing but it's been a tax on our memory resources, and it's become a problem trying to add anything else new to the game.

EA Suit: You're kidding me right? EVERY blade of grass?? I wanted 50,000 new animations not 5 million blades of grass, bring this Jimmy in here NOW!

Charlie: Take it easy on him boss, the kid is dedicated, he's been working 18 hour days and refuses to take overtime, he's tremendously talented, he's just new, we told him to go to work on the grass and he just went off to the races, there's no stopping this kid, he's a horse.

EA Suit: Jimmy, we appreciate your hard work, and I have to admit the grass does look phenomenal, but apparently it's a memory hog and we can't do anything to fix the gameplay. Is there a way around this? Can we free up some memory on the grass, maybe make it a little less detailed? Maybe render every other blade or even every third blade of grass?

Jimmy: I, I apologize sir, once I got going on the grass...

EA Suit: Jimmy, level with me, how much memory did you use for the grass on the PS4?

Jimmy: 7.62 of the 8.0 available, but --

EA Suit: WHAAATTT!!! 7.62, you have to be kidding me! How many new animations can we fit in for the gameplay???

Jimmy: 3

EA Suit: Are you freaking kidding me? 3 new animations! Operation Sports is going to tear this game a new one, you've got to delete the grass renders and free up this memory NOW!

Charlie: This is what I'm trying to tell you boss, Jimmy didn't understand how we do it here and he used the "Master Save" on the code and we can't go back, if we go back we have to start from scratch after every master save, master saves are saved in stone.

EA Suit: Jimmy get out of my sight, Charlie how can this happen and how is this game even going to run on the Xbox One??

Charlie: Boss, we already cut the framerate in half on the Xbox One version, we're at our limit, we can't fit another cleat in the Xbox One version.

EA Suit: Well, Charlie this is a fine mess we've gotten into, how are we going to market this game now??

Charlie: I've been thinking about this and maybe we can just trump up the grass, really hype it, talk about "every blade" yada yada. You know the casual fan if he hears every blade of grass has been rendered for the game he will just assume that that kind of attention to detail has spread throughout the whole game if we're that thorough about the grass.

EA Suit: Oh well, we are where we are Charlie, I guess we're stuck kid, let's run with the "every blade" theme, it's kind of growing on me.

Charlie: Thanks boss, we'll make it work.
classic!1
Old 10-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #50
MVP

Brooke2011's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Sufferer
Thanks guys, it's nice to have an outlet and an audience for my creative bursts, and if we aren't going to get the video game football game we all crave at least we can laugh to keep from crying!
That's a great idea for a new subtitle under the forums page. We could call it "the lighter side of EA." every weak we could come up with a skit about how EA went about making such a sub par game.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #51
MVP

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanks1408
If they ported the gameplay engine over from current gen, does this mean they will be using this engine as a template for the next 8 years or so of the next gen consoles lifecycle? This was the case for last gen (madden 01) and current gen (madden 06) engines.

So technically, we could be looking at 16 years of the madden 06 engine (8 years from this gen, 8 or so for next). An engine that was universally considered rushed in order to meet the Holiday 2005 360 launch. This can't be possible right?
Gosh...now that you put it that way (and yes it is indeed true for the past maddens and looks to be true so far for next gen madden)......this REALLY bums me out.

I use to be one that held onto hope for Madden next gen but i believe i've finally come to the end of my rope with EAsports Madden. Im just fed up and so worn out and tired of hoping for a great NFL Football game that it's time i toss in the towel. I was always one for hoping but ..enough is enough fella's.

Its a damn shame 2ksports were robbed of making a NFL Football game ...it's like a big bully snatched it out of their hands to be frank. The best freaking sport there is and we gotta suffer another generation of this BS!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #52
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

So they are basically going to use a broken engine for next-gen and they expect Ignite to remedy all the problems with it. That's like putting cologne on someone who hasnt taken a bath in weeks. No matter how they try to cover it up, they are still gonna stink! If they get the exclusive NFL license again NFL Football gaming is doomed for the foreseeable future!
Old 10-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #53
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

After finally listening to that Ian Cummings interview, my faith in Madden is basically non-existent.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 10-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #54
Pro

Mr_Riddick's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
After finally listening to that Ian Cummings interview, my faith in Madden is basically non-existent.
Interview after he left?
Old 10-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #55
MVP

Archie56's Arena

OVR: 0

Okay I am having a fun time reading everyone's humurous posts this morning, as they are quite funny. I'm going to throw in my unbiased 2 cents in here. I am not an AVID Madden gamer, I buy them every couple years or what not and I enjoy playing the games they put out. I understand that EA overselling the "blades of grass" thing is ridiculous and they should focus more on gameplay and authenticity. No matter what genre of game you like to play, gameplay either makes or breaks a game. Now having said that, I'm trying to understand why this article that Kotaku put out is such a big deal to people. If the article stated that they actually played the game and it looked and played terrible, then that's one thing. But all it does it state the same thing that we ourselves as consumers can see from the video. All they did was write an article on what every poster in here says every single day. I hope that this doesn't come off as being rude or anything, because it's not meant to be that way. Just my 2 cents on asking why this article is getting so much attention.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #56
All Star

OVR: 13

Honestly, I'm still feeling burned by the first Madden and NCAA released for the 360, all these years later. I still think they owe me my money back for those steaming loads. Some things, you just don't forget...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »