Home

How do I stop the outside run? (vs. human player)

This is a discussion on How do I stop the outside run? (vs. human player) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How do I stop the outside run? (vs. human player)

I'm getting killed on outside runs by a human opponent. I generally control DEs.

Are there plays or strategies I can use to get to the edge and stop the outside run?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: How do I stop the outside run? (vs. human player)

Is it generally to a certain side, On plays I want to cheat the outside run, I hot audible the dline to crash left or right, usually where ever the TE lines up because people rarely run weakside. then I coverage audible the weakside LB to man cover the running back then I play middle LB and try to contain force a cutback stright into the weakside LB for a loss
Old 10-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
Is it generally to a certain side, On plays I want to cheat the outside run, I hot audible the dline to crash left or right, usually where ever the TE lines up because people rarely run weakside. then I coverage audible the weakside LB to man cover the running back then I play middle LB and try to contain force a cutback stright into the weakside LB for a loss
They sometimes run weak side too. But you're basically saying you shift the Dline to where you think they're going to run.

How do you do a coverage audible to get someone to cover the RB? Thanks!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
Rookie

Try using a 4-3 cover 2. Base align, bnr, crash dl out, shift lb's towards the run side, pass commit, user the safety and set the edge. You can use zero coverage plays like the 4-4 crash gold, base align, spread line, crash down, shift lb's towards run, user the safety. If the pressure doesn't get in then he will get someone open, but that is the curse of the cover zero. If he's running then you should be able to get a nice stop. You can contain the de on the opposite side of the blitz if you're worried about a pass and him rolling away from the pressure.
I'm by no means an expert and there are certainly people more qualified than me. I just offer some insight I have from playing in my league.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Online a lot of guys are very predictable - they will constantly run to the wide side of the field or the strong side of the formation. I always pick the LB on the boundary side (OLB in 4-3, ILB in 3-4) if I suspect a run. At the snap, run along behind the traffic, allowing the AI to absorb blocks and you should meet him right at the LOS on the other side of the formation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderson13
They sometimes run weak side too. But you're basically saying you shift the Dline to where you think they're going to run.

How do you do a coverage audible to get someone to cover the RB? Thanks!
I don't think he was saying shift. He was saying crash. Crash is where you just slant your players left or right or up the middle. Your lineman don't move until the ball is hike where when you shift you will actually see the guys move on the line. On XB it is LB and then right stick left, right or down (or up as well). For coverage on rb... You just highlight a defender and then press up on dpad and then up on right stick and then press the button of the player you want to cover.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
Online a lot of guys are very predictable - they will constantly run to the wide side of the field or the strong side of the formation. I always pick the LB on the boundary side (OLB in 4-3, ILB in 3-4) if I suspect a run. At the snap, run along behind the traffic, allowing the AI to absorb blocks and you should meet him right at the LOS on the other side of the formation.
so much so THIS!

I've recorded some of my games and I can't tell you how many times I realized that my opponent was running the same play over and over again. Now I've gotten better recognizing this in game
Old 12-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
Banned

Controlling a safety is more fun and effective in my opinion. Just throwing that out there...

Shift your DL and/or linebackers and see if that helps. Spreading out the DL can help defend stretches/pitches to either side most of the time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »