Home

Best 3-4 Playbook

This is a discussion on Best 3-4 Playbook within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
Rookie

Herbn's Arena

OVR: 4
Best 3-4 Playbook?

So I've been thinking of restarting my CFM and switching my base defense from the 4-3 to a 3-4 (fantasy draft, so I would tailor my team to a 3-4). I was just wondering if someone with more experience running the 3-4 could recommend a playbook. I'm leaning toward using the 49ers defensive PB.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by Herbn; 10-26-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
Rookie

tattoosandcigars's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Best 3-4 Playbook

I'm partial to Houston's defensive playbook.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
Rookie

Herbn's Arena

Any particular reason why? Variety of formations? Effective blitz packages? Something else?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
Rookie

tattoosandcigars's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Best 3-4 Playbook?

I find the blitzes to be generally effective, which in turn leads to turnovers. The formation selections aren't the most robust, but it fits my goal on d. Limiting the run and grabbing turnovers. It also seems a bit more forgiving if a player isn't an ideal schematic fit. Example, I have a tampa 2 lineman filling in while my starter is injured without a skipped beat.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
Rookie

lilgame06's Arena

OVR: 3

I second that on the houston book. Before, i used to think it was a little complicated....so i started using the base 3-4 book, just to get an idea of how to play using some much more basic blitzes. Once i got the hang of the basics, i went back to Houstons book, and now i feel more confident calling some of the exotic blitzes the book has (particularly the man blitzes, but definitely some quality zone blitzes are featured). I finished 2nd overall in defense in the 32 man league im in. 3rd in rush defense, 2nd in pass defense.

If anything, i do kinda wish it had the 3-3-5 nickel defense. I think its one of the better coverage formations, that has a couple of good cover 1 and zone blitzes...but ive found myself living without it.

I used to like the Jets playbook, but its missing a nickel formation i used to like in it. It actually has been missing from the book since madden 12...the name of the formatin slips my mind though

Last edited by lilgame06; 10-26-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Rookie

Herbn's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoosandcigars
I find the blitzes to be generally effective, which in turn leads to turnovers. The formation selections aren't the most robust, but it fits my goal on d. Limiting the run and grabbing turnovers. It also seems a bit more forgiving if a player isn't an ideal schematic fit. Example, I have a tampa 2 lineman filling in while my starter is injured without a skipped beat.

I plan to draft some fast pass rushers, and I want to be very aggressive with blitzes. There's nothing more satisfying than getting a sack for me, so I think I'll give their defense a shot. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
Rookie

Herbn's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgame06
I second that on the houston book. Before, i used to think it was a little complicated....so i started using the base 3-4 book, just to get an idea of how to play using some much more basic blitzes. Once i got the hang of the basics, i went back to Houstons book, and now i feel more confident calling some of the exotic blitzes the book has (particularly the man blitzes, but definitely some quality zone blitzes are featured). I finished 2nd overall in defense in the 32 man league im in. 3rd in rush defense, 2nd in pass defense.

If anything, i do kinda wish it had the 3-3-5 nickel defense. I think its one of the better coverage formations, that has a couple of good cover 1 and zone blitzes...but ive found myself living without it.

I used to like the Jets playbook, but its missing a nickel formation i used to like in it. It actually has been missing from the book since madden 12...the name of the formatin slips my mind though
I've always been a 4-3 guy, so that's a good idea to start with the base 3-4 and move onto Houston once I get the hang of it. I've always been able to shut down the run game, but I would like to improve my pass defense. I'm hoping that switching to the 3-4 and going aggressive with blitz packages from all over to confuse/pressure the QB will help with that.

Some great insight here, man. Thanks.

I'm halfway through my draft now, and this is my starting defense:
LE Ahtyba Rubin
DT Marcel Dareus
RE Brandon Mebane

LOLB Chandler Jones
ILB Sean Lee
ILB Mychal Kendricks
ROLB Lavonte David

CB Vontae Davis (I wanted Richard Sherman really badly to recreate the Legion of Boom, but I opted to grab Cam Newton with my first pick)
CB Cortez Allen

FS Earl Thomas
SS Jonathan Cyprien

Last edited by Herbn; 10-26-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
Pro

Mbunn1993's Arena

I use the NYJ playbook. I use the 3-4, 2-4-5, and 1-4-6 and 1-3-7 if it calls. It also has 3-3-5, 2-3-6

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »