Home

Managing Player Salaries - CCFM

This is a discussion on Managing Player Salaries - CCFM within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Managing Player Salaries - CCFM

I'm in my first year in Owner Mode of the current Madden NFL 25. Is it just me or is it harder to effectively manage your players' salaries throughout the year and off-season? When entering a negotiation, you're blindly handed a desired contract by your player. From here it is rather difficult to distinguish whether that player is worth said offer. In Madden 13, there were a couple nifty tools that I cannot seem to find in this years game. There was an "Average Starter Salary" for that position around the NFL, as well as bar graphs of team's positional salaries and where they stood with the rest of the NFL. Those tools were actually extremely beneficial. Now, I cannot find them anywhere, so I assume that Madden took them out. I'm forced to enter the Team Salaries menu, after backing out of the sluggish front menu, and cycling through the salaries of positions on each individual team to get a gyst of what the norm is for a salary of players at certain skill levels. That's tedious, and the spreadsheet-like UI in the Salaries menu is a pain, to boot. So, now that I'm done with that little rant, my question,

What is everyone doing in their CCMs to effectively and efficiently handle their Player and Staff salaries, and Cap? Anyone have any little tricks or tips, or are we all forced to either blindly throw money at players if we want them, or to navigate through the painfully slow and tedious menus if we actually want any comparative statistics to help us make our CAP decisions?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: Managing Player Salaries - CCFM

I look at whose contracts are coming up. The most important ones I re-sign durin' the season. The ones that aren't that important I'll wait to do. I do the scouting of the positions that I'm gonna let go or think about lettin' go. Keep your Stadium prices and Ticket prices "Good Value". And one more tip.....Look at the Free Agency list of who got released. A one year deal for a worthy person won't hurt your Salary Cap. Now you have a little more time to look for that person you need in that spot. And maybe you'll find someone with a 1-year contract for that year and later sign him to a long contract in the Off Season. I lost a 96 rated person (Luke Joeckel) because he didn't want to stay with me after winnin' 3 Super bowls. So I drafted a 87 rated LT. I'm currently in ma 4th Season of the Jaguars (Mexico City Golden Eagles)
Old 11-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 1

First, the best time to sign players is around week 3 to week 6. For some reason, their demands aren't as high. I've noticed you can get around a 20% discount if you time it right.
Example: my best CB (29yo) started the season asking for $2.85m per year. I didn't offer him a contract. By week 4, the price had dropped to $2m. I didn't offer him a contract. By week 6, it had gone back up to $2.25m. By the end of the year, he wanted the full $2.85m again.

Second, identify the players you know you're never going to cut, i.e. your star QB, top pass rushers etc. give these guys big bonuses and small salaries but in a smaller over all contract.
Example: Michael Crabtree (28yo) wanted four years with and overall $28m. He asked for $5.5m salary and $1.5m bonus. I knew I'd keep him for the four years so I offered him $1m salary and $4m bonus ($20m total over four years).

Third, the backups (who might not be kept around for the length of their deal) should get as small a bonus as possible. I like to sign these guys for as long as possible so the early years are cheaper, so that if you cut them down the line, you save more money.
Example: my backup 29yo LOLB wants a two year deal with a salary of $1m with a bonus of $300k bonus. I dropped the bonus to $150k but raised the salary to $1.4m but also extended the contract to four years. After one year, I cut him for a cheaper rookie saving far more than I would have if I'd given him the contract he wanted, yet at the time, it looked like he could actually get more.

Fourth, be aware of age. I never give a player over 30 more than a three year deal but I'll give younger players as long a deal as I can and try to get them to be FA around the age of 32. This seems to be the age that players' demands start going down. I often use my strategy in paragraph two to give a veteran 32yo plus player one year deals. That way you can keep the number down and then see another drop the following year. I try to never have a contract that will keep a player when he's 35yo, perhaps with the exception of an elite QB. I also try not to keep CBs after they turn 32 as their speed starts to drop. It the only position that can be affected very quickly when speed goes.

Fifth, this might be the hardest to do at times, try not to have young players start for the whole four years of their rookie contracts. Even if you take a player in the first round, try to keep him as a backup in their first year. A four year starter asks for considerably more than a three year starter after their rookie contract ends. Other keys are not investing all their XP until after you've extended them and certainly not increasing their AWR too high (I try to keep it under 69 until I've extended them) as this keeps their asking price down.

Sixth, identify which positions in your scheme don't require top level players. In mine it's WR and CB. With the exception of Crabtree and one CB I've never given a WR or CB more than $2m per year. I draft them low to develop them. Get any of them with A for SPD and raise their key position ratings. If you need a player to start while they develop, you can pick one up in preseason on the cheap.

Using these methods, I've managed to get through 11 seasons with an elite roster without ever having to cut players for cap space. One season, I had less than $1m cap space but in the other 10 seasons I've usually $10m in space and often a lot more.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajra21
First, the best time to sign players is around week 3 to week 6. For some reason, their demands aren't as high. I've noticed you can get around a 20% discount if you time it right.
Example: my best CB (29yo) started the season asking for $2.85m per year. I didn't offer him a contract. By week 4, the price had dropped to $2m. I didn't offer him a contract. By week 6, it had gone back up to $2.25m. By the end of the year, he wanted the full $2.85m again.

Second, identify the players you know you're never going to cut, i.e. your star QB, top pass rushers etc. give these guys big bonuses and small salaries but in a smaller over all contract.
Example: Michael Crabtree (28yo) wanted four years with and overall $28m. He asked for $5.5m salary and $1.5m bonus. I knew I'd keep him for the four years so I offered him $1m salary and $4m bonus ($20m total over four years).

Third, the backups (who might not be kept around for the length of their deal) should get as small a bonus as possible. I like to sign these guys for as long as possible so the early years are cheaper, so that if you cut them down the line, you save more money.
Example: my backup 29yo LOLB wants a two year deal with a salary of $1m with a bonus of $300k bonus. I dropped the bonus to $150k but raised the salary to $1.4m but also extended the contract to four years. After one year, I cut him for a cheaper rookie saving far more than I would have if I'd given him the contract he wanted, yet at the time, it looked like he could actually get more.

Fourth, be aware of age. I never give a player over 30 more than a three year deal but I'll give younger players as long a deal as I can and try to get them to be FA around the age of 32. This seems to be the age that players' demands start going down. I often use my strategy in paragraph two to give a veteran 32yo plus player one year deals. That way you can keep the number down and then see another drop the following year. I try to never have a contract that will keep a player when he's 35yo, perhaps with the exception of an elite QB. I also try not to keep CBs after they turn 32 as their speed starts to drop. It the only position that can be affected very quickly when speed goes.

Fifth, this might be the hardest to do at times, try not to have young players start for the whole four years of their rookie contracts. Even if you take a player in the first round, try to keep him as a backup in their first year. A four year starter asks for considerably more than a three year starter after their rookie contract ends. Other keys are not investing all their XP until after you've extended them and certainly not increasing their AWR too high (I try to keep it under 69 until I've extended them) as this keeps their asking price down.

Sixth, identify which positions in your scheme don't require top level players. In mine it's WR and CB. With the exception of Crabtree and one CB I've never given a WR or CB more than $2m per year. I draft them low to develop them. Get any of them with A for SPD and raise their key position ratings. If you need a player to start while they develop, you can pick one up in preseason on the cheap.

Using these methods, I've managed to get through 11 seasons with an elite roster without ever having to cut players for cap space. One season, I had less than $1m cap space but in the other 10 seasons I've usually $10m in space and often a lot more.

Sorry for the long post.
Excellent post.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
Rookie

Herbn's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:

Some really good info here. I follow the same practices across the board, but there were two things you pointed out that I was unaware of:

I'm going to have to test out the week 3-6 contract demand window and see if it's the same for me since I just started a new season and need to re-sign 3 players.

I generally try and hold off on development points when I know I'm going to re-sign a player within a year, but I didn't know awareness and being a four-year starter made a difference for contract demands.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbn
Some really good info here. I follow the same practices across the board, but there were two things you pointed out that I was unaware of:

I'm going to have to test out the week 3-6 contract demand window and see if it's the same for me since I just started a new season and need to re-sign 3 players.

I generally try and hold off on development points when I know I'm going to re-sign a player within a year, but I didn't know awareness and being a four-year starter made a difference for contract demands.
The 3-6 weeks thing does work. I have no idea why or how. It works best with shorter contracts but it does work for all.

The non-four year starter thing makes a lot of sense for two reasons: 1) They can't accrue as many XP if they don't start for a year so their rating/value doesn't increase as much; and 2) In general reality, a three year starter would not go to the table expecting as much a player who started for four years.

I should add, I've noticed that a player's previous contract can affect how much they ask for. A high first rounder who was paid very well can ask for more money even if he hasn't been starting, than a lower round player who has played well and started. This isn't consistent so it's hard to predict and take advantage of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkpkp
Excellent post.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment. I have a little too much time on my hands right now.

I use all of these strategies to keep my drafted players throughout their careers so they retire with me. I'm not quite their yet but I've managed to keep many player well into their 30s so far.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:

Sorry for the long post.

eXCELLENT POST..gONNA START NEW ccM AND TRY THIS OUT!

tHANKS
Old 11-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
Rookie

Herbn's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
The 3-6 weeks thing does work. I have no idea why or how. It works best with shorter contracts but it does work for all.

The non-four year starter thing makes a lot of sense for two reasons: 1) They can't accrue as many XP if they don't start for a year so their rating/value doesn't increase as much; and 2) In general reality, a three year starter would not go to the table expecting as much a player who started for four years.

I should add, I've noticed that a player's previous contract can affect how much they ask for. A high first rounder who was paid very well can ask for more money even if he hasn't been starting, than a lower round player who has played well and started. This isn't consistent so it's hard to predict and take advantage of.
Yeah, it definitely makes sense for the 4-year starter to ask for more money.

Hmm, the week 3-6 contract demand window didn't change at all for any of the players. Not sure why it works for you, but I checked every week from 1-6, and their demands stayed the same every time.

Anyway, I re-signed all my players for relatively cheap, so no big deal.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »