Home

Would you guys like to give me some input on this defensive strategy I'm trying?

This is a discussion on Would you guys like to give me some input on this defensive strategy I'm trying? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Would you guys like to give me some input on this defensive strategy I'm trying?

Answer what you can? Franchise, sim regular season play playoffs is my style.

I want to have a 3-4 defense where I can primarily rush the DL alone and have basically an extra linebacker to increase versatility. To have a completely versatile second level. It stinks having a converted de in coverage on either edge.

1) I am curious about how I should go about scheme. What exactly is the difference and implications of the different 3-4 schemes. Do they even do anything? I have been using hybrid multiple front but is a switch to base 3-4 going to actually change anything? If I change the play book is the sim actually using that book? This applies to offense as well because this strategy would be most effective when ones offense is putting points off and marginalizing the other teams run game...
2) any tips on players to get whether real or generated? It'd be a lot easier if the UI wasn't so annoying (where is my big spreadsheet where I can look at everybody! Outside of fantasy draft you don't get that wtf!!!) ideally I'm looking for 280+ pound lineman that are fast and strong lol. And very fast and strong linebackers who are good in man coverage (because it is so expensive for LBs haha). I'm worried that mr 230 pound lb is going to be FB mince meat I wish Navarro Bowman wasn't untouchable =\. as for the secondary... There are a few that fit the bill. Speed and strength... Could someone explain wtf run support Safeties exist for? You'd think they'd be perfect for this style but how is a slow as molasses guy in a lot of space supposed to not get burnt? Are there any fast run supporters?

I know I'm probably asking a lot
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Would you guys like to give me some input on this defensive strategy I'm trying?

Move 4-3 DTs with good speed to 3-4 DE. Good pass rush if you're looking to drop all your LBs into coverage.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
Rookie

MagsMetrics101's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Would you guys like to give me some input on this defensive strategy I'm trying?

Using the 3-4 versatile scheme might help, if im comprehending your question correctly
Old 11-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
Rookie

Herbn's Arena

OVR: 4

You won't get much pressure or sacks if you're only rushing your DL alone in a 3-4. Your best DLineman will get doubled every time, and the QB will have all day to throw. IMO you're better off using a 4-3 if you don't plan on taking advantage of all the creative blitzes you can do in a 3-4.

Everyone on your DLine should be 300+. Ideally your NT will be 330+. You can also convert some DTs into DEs for a 3-4. For instance, I did a fantasy draft and selected Michael Brockers, and I turned him into my RE since I had Marcel Dareus as my NT.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 1

the way i play 3-4 is a 320-350 6ft 2 plus strong NT, 6 7+ 300+ DEs. they are there for me to stop the run, my lbers are qb pressure unless the DL gets a break
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13
Cool Re: Would you guys like to give me some input on this defensive strategy I'm trying?

My tips for the 3-4:
  • Up every player's PRC
  • OLB's-Up BSH and Finesse Moves
  • DT's-BSH and Finesse Moves
  • Get the "Clutch" attribute for as many as possible on defense
  • Get consistency to at least 2, preferrably 3, and ideally 4
  • Get CB's to "Play Ball Conservative"
  • Enable Big Hitter for everyone
  • Enable Bull Rush and Spin Moves for all front 7
  • Never draft or trade based on skills unless they are a verteran stud and you have a big time immediate need. Instead draft based on physical height/weight combined with their speed, agility, acceleration, and strength. Skills are cheap, physical traits are expensive.
  • Slant the line in more. In past Maddens doing the "fan" or slanting them out got pressure from the ends. This year you can get could interior pressure (thus, avoiding DE/OLB double teams on the outside) by slanting them in. Don't physically pinch them....just slant them.
  • Try not to extend player contracts past their 31st year except maybe OL. Otherwise, cut and replace your 30+ guys with rookies.

If you do practices then in 2 full seasons you can have an entire defense full of play makers. My philosophy is to spend XP on the cheapest thing that will help them earn more XP. MCV, ZCV, TKL, PUR, etc.....I'll upgrade them if they cost 1,000 or less but then I leave them alone until I do these other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide
Old 11-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13
Cool Re: Would you guys like to give me some input on this defensive strategy I'm trying?

Once you have the players with the right tool set, you CAN get pressure with just 4 from the 3-4. OLB's with high BSH and FMV can and will beat OT's and FB's like a drum if you slide the DT over in front of the OG. This works on BOTH sides, not just vs the RT. I've watched my OLB Bull Rush many a LT.

Next up, for me, would be pushing AWR and ZCV/MCV for all LB's. Just at least to the 75-80 range for both. After that things can get expensive and you can increase attributes based on what you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide
Old 11-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
Rookie

Herbn's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll2tide
Once you have the players with the right tool set, you CAN get pressure with just 4 from the 3-4. OLB's with high BSH and FMV can and will beat OT's and FB's like a drum if you slide the DT over in front of the OG. This works on BOTH sides, not just vs the RT. I've watched my OLB Bull Rush many a LT.
With 4 you can get pressure, but with 3 that's going to be very difficult. He said he mainly only wants to rush his DLine. A 5 man front will double team two of them, which more or less neutralizes them. Then you'll be counting on 1 to break free, and you can't always count on that lone Dlineman to get pressure.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »