Home

WTF is going on???!!!

This is a discussion on WTF is going on???!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: WTF is going on???!!!

Big difference between being challenged and being cheated. All of the glitches mentioned in the post above exist in abundance with this game. Many games, whether you win or lose, have a scripted feel to them. This leads to hollow victories or supernatural defeats and ultimately, frustration.

What's the point of building a team of highly rated players, only to have them play like the high school jv squad? Watch your 90 plus rated, high awareness, high play recognition FS come charging to the LOS in cover 2 leaving the X all alone on a streak for a long TD. This with no play action....WTF? Madden has dozens of sub categories within the player rating and all but a couple of them are completely meaningless.

I play as a D lineman and I do not switch. I expect the rest of my highly rated D players to play in accordance to their rating. This simply doesn't happen nearly often enough. You should be rewarded for calling the proper defense for a given situation with a highly rated D, not punished with Pop Warner play from your top rated players. Defense in this game, as a rule, is severely underpowered and ineffective. I suppose they figure people playing video football want to see scoring, and lots of it. That's apparently what they deem "fun".

I have to laugh at the self proclaimed "scheme geniuses" that post on here about their shut down skills. This is not football, it's Maddenball. Playing as a LB, DB, etc and preying on the predictable CPU AI with your "mad stick skillz" is no justification to deny the existence of the basic execution shortfalls that infest this game.

I continue to play the game on occasion, but have to remind myself that it is what it is....a poor facsimile of very basic football principles. Until they can move the game forward to the point where the AI can intelligently mimic football strategy and execution to achieve outcomes that feel more organic and natural, posts like those of the OP will continue to flourish.

Last edited by Sturzinator; 11-24-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
All Star

azdawgpound's Arena

OVR: 21

I remember when I first played 25... I couldn't stop the cmp offense at all like meantioned the qb didn't miss a pass and just shredded my defense seemed like atleast 2-3 wr's were open on every route and play.

since then I've adjusted my game play and now I've slowed down the cmp and they don't pick apart my defense every game like before yea I do have games where they may... but heck look in the nfl every week some team gets picked apart by qb's.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
Rookie

wundrbread33's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturzinator
Big difference between being challenged and being cheated. All of the glitches mentioned in the post above exist in abundance with this game. Many games, whether you win or lose, have a scripted feel to them. This leads to hollow victories or supernatural defeats and ultimately, frustration.

What's the point of building a team of highly rated players, only to have them play like the high school jv squad? Watch your 90 plus rated, high awareness, high play recognition FS come charging to the LOS in cover 2 leaving the X all alone on a streak for a long TD. This with no play action....WTF? Madden has dozens of sub categories within the player rating and all but a couple of them are completely meaningless.

I play as a D lineman and I do not switch. I expect the rest of my highly rated D players to play in accordance to their rating. This simply doesn't happen nearly often enough. You should be rewarded for calling the proper defense for a given situation with a highly rated D, not punished with Pop Warner play from your top rated players. Defense in this game, as a rule, is severely underpowered and ineffective. I suppose they figure people playing video football want to see scoring, and lots of it. That's apparently what they deem "fun".

I have to laugh at the self proclaimed "scheme geniuses" that post on here about their shut down skills. This is not football, it's Maddenball. Playing as a LB, DB, etc and preying on the predictable CPU AI with your "mad stick skillz" is no justification to deny the existence of the basic execution shortfalls that infest this game.

I continue to play the game on occasion, but have to remind myself that it is what it is....a poor facsimile of very basic football principles. Until they can move the game forward to the point where the AI can intelligently mimic football strategy and execution to achieve outcomes that feel more organic and natural, posts like those of the OP will continue to flourish.

I'm sorry, but I have never called a cover 2 and had my safety not follow his role and charge the LOS. I don't recall a single play where a player completely disregarded his zone unless manually adjusted to do so. Perhaps you were mistaken?

Although you did not say any names, I can only assume you were referring to me since I literally used to the word "scheme" in my post.

I don't claim to have "mad stick skillz", but I will say that if the CPU or a user completes 97% of their passes on a players defense, it is due to poor playcalling and/ or lack of user ability.

Is the game perfect? Absolutely not, however it has come a long way and their are a lot good things about this game that go overlooked.

Maybe I have been lucky, I don't know, but maybe... just maybe, they didn't intentionally code the game to be unbeatable and cheat against the OP with the Rams on All-Pro.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
Just started!

OVR: 0

I would like ratings to matter, if i had a good run stopping defense then i think that should be reflected.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #13
Rookie

It happens... And I believe the game is programmed to throw some of these "really tough" games at you 2-3 times per season. Personally, I like it. I think it adds to the realism and the challenge. Sometimes, in real life, really good teams have off weeks. They lose to teAms with lower rated players. Highly rated players make mistakes.

If you had played the lions Bucs game from last weekend on madden, would you be on this forum ranting about how stafford should never throw 4 picks against the Bucs? Would the Calvin Jonson catch/bobble that became an int to end the game be considered the "lazy EA developers" scripting a loss?

I actually think the game is very hard to program to strike the right balance... But I like the fact that on random weeks I may have to play perfectly to have a chance to win.

Just my two cents .

MOE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #14
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

If the Broncos/Patriots game had happened in Madden, I'm sure a few would be calling it "BS cheating AI."
Old 11-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #15
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

WTF is going on???!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
If the Broncos/Patriots game had happened in Madden, I'm sure a few would be calling it "BS cheating AI."
Haha, yeah, that's true. This is definitely something that we can give the developers some slack on. While I haven't liked the 'feel' of a scripted game, some of these posts are absolutely right when it comes down to, 'what do u expect? Any given Sunday, anybody can beat anybody.' Especially that pats game. If u were up by 24 with manning and felt like u were just whooping Brady and the pats, u would expect to keep going and win, but that didn't happen in real life, Brady got on a roll, and led the comeback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #16
Rookie

AshamanCarnage's Arena

OVR: 2

I don't know if I would call them scripted but I do feel a couple games per season are garnered to be a little more tough then others. Defenders not picking up/falling on fumbles, defenders watching a ball go right by them to the receiver, etc.

We've all been there (except one person evidently, must have that special copy) you just have to ride it out, as someone previously said. Just keep making smart playcalls on offense and maybe try to change it up on D if whatever your trying isn't working.

The Rams just destroyed the Colts and beat up the Bears, so they can play good.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »