Home

How To Make the Off-Season Better

This is a discussion on How To Make the Off-Season Better within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-06-2004, 01:07 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
How To Make the Off-Season Better

I found the off-season in the game to be off and unrealistic over the last few years. I think with the new setup it can be the best ever. Post your thoughts.

1. Retirement

This is where we will say fare well to all of are good players and get the occasional surprise retirement. The thing that will really help this out is by dropping the whole automatically retired RB 34. Instead make more then just age have a factor with retirement. Such as their injury, toughness and stamina rating takes a toll into how early they will retire along with their age.

2. Scouting Combine

Just like your regular scouting combine. But this one would be in more detail then the others. There will be the “Big Board”, mock draft and scouting report. Mock draft and the big board are self explanatory, the scouting report means how mean teams haves used an individual work out on him. The new thing about scouting will be players numbers changing every time you scout them. I mean its not like I am going to run a 4.46 on everyone’s workout. So there will be the overall workout and the individual workout. You will also be able to see one rating of your choice on the last scouting report.

3. Free Agency

This one will be completely different then the current system that is used. The resigning period and the free agency period become one. I know this sounds confusing but it will open things up so much more. Instead of going to the Free Agent team to see everyone who is a free agent, they will now just be under their team. Now you have to make them a offer while they are still under their team. So instead of the computer just resigning all their best players you have a shot at signing them yourself. So for example, with this off-season, go to the Tennessee Titans and go to Jevon Kearse. He will be there top FA because of his overall. Here you will have what he kind of salary he expects, what other teams are trying to sign him, and if he has interest of joining your team. What you don’t know is what other teams are offering him salary wise. There will be a meter like the trade meter to determine how interested he is in your team and offer. Me being the Panthers, he won’t be interested at all due to the fact that I already have to high rated DE’s and he might have to share clock. But say I was the Redskins the fact that he’d be the best DL I would have that would draw some big interest depending on money.

4. NFL Draft

I think just a few improvement here and there to the draft would be fine. You will have the different one being the draft itself seeing who everyone selected, when your on the clock you pick your player etc. Then there will be the trade checker, here you will get offers from other teams for your draft picks and players. You may also trade the draft rights to a player to another team. The third menu will be the Rating of each position on your team, how many players you have at the position and the average age at the position.. So that can help you determine what to go and look for in the draft.

5. Rookie Signing

Basically singing all your rookies to contracts, they will also have a meter of interest so this will force you to pay them more, but after so many offers they will holdout if they are not satisfied and you can‘t re-negotiate until after training camp.

6. Roster fillers

Here will be all the guys that didn’t sign with a team, the veterans who got cut after the draft and all the un-drafted rookies. This year instead of only being allowed to have 55 players on your team going into pre-season, you will be allowed 65 and at the end of pre-season you have to cut that down to 55.

7. 20xx Schedule
You will see next years schedule with the teams overall rating and previous years record. You will also set your pre-season schedule.

8. Finalize

Good luck into the next year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2004, 10:29 AM   #2
Pro

BiggestKJ's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: How To Make the Off-Season Better

I like the Free-Agency idea...however, don't have a resigning period....PERIOD, because once the season is over you should've though twice about re-signing your stars. Just leave it as is, with the user being able to go back to their own roster screen and re-sign players as they wish. Also put in RESTRICTED and UNRESTRICTED free agents. However, you must also put in several factors:

1. Did you draft a highly-touted rookie who has plays the same position as Player X ala Travis Henry/Willis McGahee(i.e. David Boston is an unrestricted FA who can sign with any team, any time...however you pull a bonehead move and decided to draft Larry Fitzgerald. Boston's interested in resigning with SD further degrades because he's young and he wants to be the main reciever on the team.)

2. The "Patience" Factor - If I busted my a-- on the field an ran 2,000 yards or pull 180 + tackles for a 3 season average, I better get a good offer. Make me wait too long, I'm gone.

3. Loyalty rating - Did you give your player good years during his tenure with your team? Did you decide to give him enough training in the offseason to help develop him? How loyal you are to him, will determine how loyal he'll be back to you...if he's LOYAL...some players are just down right greedy.

4. Restricted and Unrestricted FA.... 1. Unrestricted FA - A player may be signed by another team once the season has ended and the Unrestricted FA period has started. 2. Restricted FA - A player may be offered a contract by any number of other clubs (offer sheet), however the player's old club has a certain amount of time to match the contract offered by the offer sheet the player chose. If not, the player accepts the offer sheet and is signed by that team.

Also it would be good to throw in other factors when signing FA's, like location, favored players and childhood idols on personnel(i.e. Player X admires and has always wanted to play alongside Player Z or for Coach B), winning franchise, "hometown" factir or just plain MONEY MONEY MONEY!
Old 02-07-2004, 01:00 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

BiggestKJ said:
I like the Free-Agency idea...however, don't have a resigning period....PERIOD, because once the season is over you should've though twice about re-signing your stars. Just leave it as is, with the user being able to go back to their own roster screen and re-sign players as they wish. Also put in RESTRICTED and UNRESTRICTED free agents. However, you must also put in several factors:

1. Did you draft a highly-touted rookie who has plays the same position as Player X ala Travis Henry/Willis McGahee(i.e. David Boston is an unrestricted FA who can sign with any team, any time...however you pull a bonehead move and decided to draft Larry Fitzgerald. Boston's interested in resigning with SD further degrades because he's young and he wants to be the main reciever on the team.)

2. The "Patience" Factor - If I busted my a-- on the field an ran 2,000 yards or pull 180 + tackles for a 3 season average, I better get a good offer. Make me wait too long, I'm gone.

3. Loyalty rating - Did you give your player good years during his tenure with your team? Did you decide to give him enough training in the offseason to help develop him? How loyal you are to him, will determine how loyal he'll be back to you...if he's LOYAL...some players are just down right greedy.

4. Restricted and Unrestricted FA.... 1. Unrestricted FA - A player may be signed by another team once the season has ended and the Unrestricted FA period has started. 2. Restricted FA - A player may be offered a contract by any number of other clubs (offer sheet), however the player's old club has a certain amount of time to match the contract offered by the offer sheet the player chose. If not, the player accepts the offer sheet and is signed by that team.

Also it would be good to throw in other factors when signing FA's, like location, favored players and childhood idols on personnel(i.e. Player X admires and has always wanted to play alongside Player Z or for Coach B), winning franchise, "hometown" factir or just plain MONEY MONEY MONEY!

See I was thinking franchise tags, restricted and unrestricted, but that might be a little to much for EA to add, considering so many casual gamers wouldn't know WTF was going on or how to use it, I just stuck with a basic format.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:36 PM   #4
Plays well in Tennessee

Klue516's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

dynasty52 said:
Quote:

BiggestKJ said:

See I was thinking franchise tags, restricted and unrestricted, but that might be a little to much for EA to add, considering so many casual gamers wouldn't know WTF was going on or how to use it, I just stuck with a basic format.

If EA can add signing bonuses, and balance Sheets, etc. They can also add Restricted/Unrestricted FA as well as Tags....but before they do that, EA needs to work on Player Progression for their created rookies (because the league is completely odd as far as the ratings go, 5-10 years down the line) and Overall CPU roster management needs a TON of work (as far as Resigning, Drafting AI, etc.)
Old 02-07-2004, 05:53 PM   #5
--------------

dieselboy's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:

Klue516 said:
Quote:

dynasty52 said:
Quote:

BiggestKJ said:

If EA can add signing bonuses, and balance Sheets, etc. They can also add Restricted/Unrestricted FA as well as Tags....but before they do that, EA needs to work on Player Progression for their created rookies (because the league is completely odd as far as the ratings go, 5-10 years down the line) and Overall CPU roster management needs a TON of work (as far as Resigning, Drafting AI, etc.)

CPU Roster management needs HUGE work, I agree 100%
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2004, 02:23 AM   #6
Pro

FSU_Animal's Arena

OVR: 8

I like the free agency signing period idea and the rest of the ideas as well. However, may I suggest one small change during the signing period. We should not see an interest meter during the free agency signing period. That makes it too easy to sign. Instead, we should be forced to decide how much value we think he would be to our team and we must also try and persuade (ala NCAA) with ideas of being the starter (Emmitt to Arizona, *wink*)
Old 02-08-2004, 12:03 PM   #7
Regular Cat Records®

3rdAnswer's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:

FSU_Animal said:
I like the free agency signing period idea and the rest of the ideas as well. However, may I suggest one small change during the signing period. We should not see an interest meter during the free agency signing period. That makes it too easy to sign. Instead, we should be forced to decide how much value we think he would be to our team and we must also try and persuade (ala NCAA) with ideas of being the starter (Emmitt to Arizona, *wink*)

Yeah I like that idea. It would be easier to understand who you really need to go after, and who you should go after.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:23 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 9

It would help if they actually had the ORDER of off-season events correct. They have the draft BEFORE the free agent signing period, which makes it hard to figure out how you're going to plug holes on your team (or is it only my screwed up version)?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »