Home

3 things Id like to understand

This is a discussion on 3 things Id like to understand within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
3 things Id like to understand

This is all based on Online experience

All these seem random but consistent in any game.

1. Interception returns
Why can a 80 something speed LB or S return a pick for a touchdown in a game while keeping a distance on the fast hb or wr chasing them? At the same time the other teams 90 something speed CB gets run down by a olineman? How can this happen?

2. You see games where one team is playing man D and the defense is locking down the routes even though the matchups favor the offense based on ratings. One teams AI is playing perfect while the others is playing dumb.

3. Why some games your whole defense will take bad angles on any given run play. Regardless if you called a good D play vs specific runs your defenders will take bad angles and run to a blocker, not blockshed and generally play slower. Most of the game it feels like its you one user controlled player vs the other offense.

Ive read in the past that every animation is a dice roll and the ratings are factor in odds. I dont believe this because during games when things are working its stays pretty consistent. It seems more like the logic is decided 1 time as the game loads and stays that way.

Ive always wanted to ask a Dev this.

Years ago in a online league we had one guy that would tear it up with Ahman Green and basically 3 plays. Now if the game started and his plays were being stopped.. the defnse was doing its job ect a "random disconnect" would seem happen everytime lol.

Restarting the game and next thing you know his 3 plays are tearing it up. The defense is playing dumb and slower.

So is this dice roll a one time deal? When a game starts are certain aspects like overall defense AI, blocking, team speed ect determined?

Some games are great but to many seem to be decided on 3 things I listed above that you have no control over and shouldnt happen based on players ratings.

Anyone agree? Or am I just crazy?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
Pro

Ampking101's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: 3 things Id like to understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsGiants
This is all based on Online experience

All these seem random but consistent in any game.

1. Interception returns
Why can a 80 something speed LB or S return a pick for a touchdown in a game while keeping a distance on the fast hb or wr chasing them? At the same time the other teams 90 something speed CB gets run down by a olineman? How can this happen?

2. You see games where one team is playing man D and the defense is locking down the routes even though the matchups favor the offense based on ratings. One teams AI is playing perfect while the others is playing dumb.

3. Why some games your whole defense will take bad angles on any given run play. Regardless if you called a good D play vs specific runs your defenders will take bad angles and run to a blocker, not blockshed and generally play slower. Most of the game it feels like its you one user controlled player vs the other offense.

Ive read in the past that every animation is a dice roll and the ratings are factor in odds. I dont believe this because during games when things are working its stays pretty consistent. It seems more like the logic is decided 1 time as the game loads and stays that way.

Ive always wanted to ask a Dev this.

Years ago in a online league we had one guy that would tear it up with Ahman Green and basically 3 plays. Now if the game started and his plays were being stopped.. the defnse was doing its job ect a "random disconnect" would seem happen everytime lol.

Restarting the game and next thing you know his 3 plays are tearing it up. The defense is playing dumb and slower.

So is this dice roll a one time deal? When a game starts are certain aspects like overall defense AI, blocking, team speed ect determined?

Some games are great but to many seem to be decided on 3 things I listed above that you have no control over and shouldnt happen based on players ratings.

Anyone agree? Or am I just crazy?

#1. It's Madden. Literally the only explanation for this. I can be playing against the computer or another human and the other teams defensive end can intercept the ball and take it for a pick six for about 50 yards) when most of my team is ten times faster. However I can have my 95 speed corner intercept the ball, same conditions as before, yet I can be chased down by an offensive lineman from behind. This also happens WAY too often on kick returns. I can get my 98 speed returner with high stamina around everyone, yet somehow a TE catches me from behind. While on the otherside my fastest guys can't keep up with a 91 speed returner with low stamina if he gets around my guys.

#2 and 3. I don't know about the "dice throw theory", however I do strongly feel that at the beginning of some games there is a random handicap giving to one of the teams. I've been on both sides of it before. One game my team is shutting down everything, interceptions galore, fumbles and sacks all day. The next game (even though they are hot from the last game) the same exact team can't do anything right. Every ball is dropped, can't get a turnover to save your life, and that is if your team even holds their coverage correctly. Then you'll have the occasional game with seemingly no handicap where the game is completely fair on both sides and these are generally the great/close games.

It seems to be completely randomized and I don't believe it's play to play (it may however change occasionally at halftime though).

These are just my theories and in no way facts but this is entirely what it seems like to me.

P.S. The random disconnect can be explained as easily as he was "disconnected" after signing out of his account/pulling the ethernet cord while in the game. It'll still stay in the game screen and give the disconnect error. Not saying this is what he was doing. But it is a possibility. The above theory could explain why after the second game started he was tearing it up because the handicap went in his favor.

Last edited by Ampking101; 12-12-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
Just started!

It'll still stay in the game screen and give the disconnect error. Not saying this is what he was doing. But it is a possibility. The above theory could explain why after the second game started he was tearing it up because the handicap went in his favor.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
Rookie

@#1 - I suspect this has much to due with field positioning and momentum. Dlinemen, LBs and even safeties playing in the box may very well have a 20 yard head start and are probably already moving towards the opposite goal line while CBs are further downfield and moving towards their own goal line. Thus the CBs have more ground to cover in a return, more guys between them and the endzone and they have probably already run 20 yards in the opposite direction and may be moving that way when they catch the ball.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerat
@#1 - I suspect this has much to due with field positioning and momentum. Dlinemen, LBs and even safeties playing in the box may very well have a 20 yard head start and are probably already moving towards the opposite goal line while CBs are further downfield and moving towards their own goal line. Thus the CBs have more ground to cover in a return, more guys between them and the endzone and they have probably already run 20 yards in the opposite direction and may be moving that way when they catch the ball.
Theory is sound but unfortunately madden not that smart. I picked a guy with cover 2 flat zone looking at daylight only to see a olineman run from across the field and catch me. It looked terrible..olineman was running warp speed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

I think I agree with everything here. Glad, someone finally had the guts to admit it! Lol, yeah, def seen an oline get my CB from behind. And, not because he had a great angle. Legitimately running behind him and catching up to him and making the tackle. And, the opposite being true, too seeing a DE return a fumble 50 yds while no one can catch up to him. I definitely feel with this particular game, 25, speed and ACC mean nothing. It seems like all of the other ratings take precedence. So if someone has a high tackle rating, they appear faster because they have to make that tackle. That doesn't necessarily factor into an Olineman running down a CB, but just putting a theory out there as far as how speed and ACC mean nothing anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
Just started!

The above theory could explain why after the second game started he was tearing it up because the handicap went in his favor.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #8
Banned

So is this dice roll a one time deal?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »