Home

Good players getting cut

This is a discussion on Good players getting cut within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Good players getting cut

Basically, every player in this game will hit free agency
Old 01-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #34
Rookie

Old 01-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #35
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajra21
lots of good players get un-signed at times. dez was once. harvin.

is it just me, or after a few years every team has a really good DL? good DEs & DTs are ten a penny.
In my franchise, they just reported that Dez refused to re-sign with the Cowboys. But I think the OP is talking about players getting released or cut from the team, that's why it's such a big deal.

Maybe part of the reason teams have good D-lines is because a lot of linebackers shift to D-line when teams change schemes, so they tend to get inflated ratings when they switch from OLB to DE? I'm only in me second season, so I haven't noticed any drastic increases in D-lines across the league.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2014, 12:15 AM   #36
Pro

OVR: 1

I actually wonder how far off base this really is in relation to reality. During broadcasts they always talk about how X number of players remain for one team to the next and it's always like 4 or 5. The most recent example is the Steelers. They went to 2 SB's in 3 years and in there second appearance they had 12 of 22 starters remain from their first appearance. Colts same thing, 2 appearances in 4 years and 12 of 22 starters were the same. I didn't do roster by roster.

Conservatively, the average roster turnover from year-to-year is probably about 20-30%. So in a 4-5 year span you are talking about an entire roster turnover with the exception of identified core players. If it's a complete coaching staff turnover you're looking at 40-50%. Guys in the 45-53 range of an NFL roster turnover every week of the season.

The only thing that I will argue against myself with is the superstar players, especially franchise qb's. They don't change teams very often and if they do it's usually because they are older and have lost a step. And that to me is where the madden FA system is flawed.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #37
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogg097
I actually wonder how far off base this really is in relation to reality. During broadcasts they always talk about how X number of players remain for one team to the next and it's always like 4 or 5. The most recent example is the Steelers. They went to 2 SB's in 3 years and in there second appearance they had 12 of 22 starters remain from their first appearance. Colts same thing, 2 appearances in 4 years and 12 of 22 starters were the same. I didn't do roster by roster.

Conservatively, the average roster turnover from year-to-year is probably about 20-30%. So in a 4-5 year span you are talking about an entire roster turnover with the exception of identified core players. If it's a complete coaching staff turnover you're looking at 40-50%. Guys in the 45-53 range of an NFL roster turnover every week of the season.

The only thing that I will argue against myself with is the superstar players, especially franchise qb's. They don't change teams very often and if they do it's usually because they are older and have lost a step. And that to me is where the madden FA system is flawed.

When you think about it, a lot of players are gone from year to year. Particularly role players who are good enough to start, but not necessarily high quality players. A lot of those players will switch teams during the offseason without anyone really noticing because they're not really noticeable. A lot of o-linemen, d-linemen and safeties are like that . Typically, only the elite players who get long term contracts have little turnover. Most role players will have short term contracts, so every season you'll lose a few of them. So if you have a bunch of role players with contracts that are 3 years or less, a lot of them will be gone from the team over a 3 year span. Then you have to factor in key players who may have expiring contracts or get released or traded. Aside from a core of like 10 players like the franchise QB, main WR, main pass rusher, shutdown corner and whoever else is key to that particular team, a lot of players don't stick around for the long term. I think I heard the average span of an NFL CAREER is 3 years, so that says a lot. And let's not forget players who started, but lost their starting spot to someone else. Just thinking of my team, the Panthers, I can name the players who I remember were starters on the team three years ago and are still on the team. I may be missing a player or two, but this is off the top of my head and I'm only mentioning starters.

Cam Newton
DeAngelo Williams
Steve Smith
Greg Olsen
Charles Johnson
Greg Hardy
Thomas Davis
Charles Godfrey
Captain Munnerlyn
Jordan Gross
Ryan Kalil

That's eleven players who were starters three years ago and are still starters today out of 22 starters.

Last edited by macbranson; 01-08-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:22 AM   #38
Pro

OVR: 1

That was turnover on really good teams. It is even more extreme when the team is bad. The 2013 Raiders, including IR guys, have 14 of 61 (23%) players on their from the 2011 roster. That is 77% turnover in 2 seasons. Maybe Madden's logic isn't all that far off. G.Smith and E.Manuel have made it to 2020 on the same team in my CFM so maybe Cam being cut has more to do with the Panthers cap situation. But you know in real life guys will take pay cuts or be cut in order for him to stay the franchise qb.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #39
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxghmdgpeng
No but a lot do. I play a bunch of cfm's and the deepest one I have is in year 3. The problem centers around how much the players ask for both to re-sign and in free agency. I've seen backup G's with mediocre ratings ask for extensions around 4 yrs/18 mil. The same happens in FA & the cpu does a poor job overloading on a few players who get a ton of bids but ignoring other players completely. As a result they miss their target a lot of the time since players with multiple bidders usually don't sign until the last FA week in the offseason. Then a plethora of players like Nick Fairley (91 ovr) get signed for 1 year deals on the cheap and I'm guessing the cycle continues.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nml11287
That's interesting. Dez never seemed to go unsigned in my CFMs. He was resigned by DAL twice and one year he signed with ATL for 5 yrs.
It probably depends on what roster you are using as your base cfm. Dez has gotten a lot better as the year's gone on. I've never seen him go unsigned.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »