Home

Pocket passers

This is a discussion on Pocket passers within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2014, 11:13 PM   #9
Pro

ajk49er's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Pocket passers

I use pocket passers now*

simple, how darn easy is it to use a QB with over 75 speed? pretty easy. give me a slow qb with a cannon, bit more challenging than what is really a guaranteed first down every couple plays if you want to.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 0

I just lost my first game if the season, mainly because I'm a terrible pocket passer. I lost to the Saints who don't even have a good pass defense. I was getting sacked a lot when I scrambled out of the pocket, so I started keeping my running back in to block and stayed in the pocket. I had a terrible game. I did manage to throw for over 500 yards because I was playing catch-up the whole second half and was in a hurry up. But my completion percentage was 54% and I threw 2 picks and the Saints must have dropped like 6 picks. It's just to difficult to see where the coverage is when you're in the pocket. Even if I know the defense is in man, you have to see how tightly covered the receiver is before you can throw it. And deep passes, even into one-on-one coverage, are just impossible to complete unless the receiver is WIDE open. If there's a defender covering him, the defender will win the battle most of the time. I do like that thus passing game has been toned down, I just wish I were better at adjusting to it.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:51 AM   #11
Banned

I'm not a great madden player by any means, but if you find a playbook you like and stick with it, after time you'll learn to see where you can throw and where you can't. If you have a good offensive line that can let you run the ball you can literally get away with running one formation the majority of the game successfully.

I admit I like mobile quarterbacks, but I also almost never run the ball. By the time I'm done checking the defense, if someone wasn't open I'm usually getting sacked by the time I've checked all my options. Like I said, I'm not a great madden player, but I know my play book and I know where I can put the ball and where I can't. It's rare that the defense doesn't give you something.

One trap I fall into is I'll pick a play and I'll decide what WR I want to get the ball to before I even snap the ball and some times I have a tendency to force it just because I want to throw it there. That's one advantage I would say for not knowing your plays well because if you don't have a predetermined plan, then you're just reading the defense and finding a hole instead of waiting for this guy on this route, etc. etc.

But that's just my 2 cents. Also, I should add that I don't play online. All that goes out the window against a human opponent playing defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2014, 01:17 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistandilius

One trap I fall into is I'll pick a play and I'll decide what WR I want to get the ball to before I even snap the ball and some times I have a tendency to force it just because I want to throw it there. That's one advantage I would say for not knowing your plays well because if you don't have a predetermined plan, then you're just reading the defense and finding a hole instead of waiting for this guy on this route, etc. etc.
I used to do that all the time. I'd have a certain receiver who I wa trying to get 100 yards or 10 receptions or some nonsense and I'd wind up just forcing the ball to that receiver after picking a certain play. It's definitely a terrible way to play, but I've definitely gotten stepped my passing game up since starting my second season.
Last season I threw for a little over 4000 yards, 30 TDs, 30 INTs and 62% completions. This season, I've played eight games and I have over 2600 passing yards, 27 TDs, 9 INTs and 63% completions. I've been picking different playbooks, reading coverages better and continue to use Cam Newton's mobility, but mainly to roll out the pocket or buy time to find open receivers. I really don't run much with my QB at all. I only have like 200 rushing yards for the season and I never run the option.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:49 PM   #13
Rookie

on a more technical aspect, knowing how to throw players open and trow the right ball is really important. Especially when using bad receivers you can't let them get hit right after the pass or they drop it (if they don't drop it wile open anyway). Knowing how much power and where to place the ball is important. It is really what separates awesome QBs from the above average. Once your accuracy gets high enough getting it in the tight spot is much easier. You just have to be extremely conservative and build from there. Often when I don't play for a while and play all madden I throw 5 picks because I try and take too much.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »